Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long road back from my crash at the beginning of 2018 (April at NCM). Took that whole year off and struggled all of 2019. 2020 hasn't been without it's challenges. Only got 4 days this year because of corona, but progress was made. In 2018 when I was at my best, I was running 2:07-2:08 at NCM and 1:17-1:18 at Putnam. This year, my best times at each track matched that, but I didn't feel like I was pushing as hard. I struggled with some front wear all of 2019 and finally got that sorted out only to have to change tire manufacturers. Not a bad thing overall as the Michelin Power Cup 2 seems to work really well for me. No wear issues in the front and after 4 days, the tire looks like it could go a few more. 2 rears for the season and it looks like it would only last a session or two. Rear wear has been an issue and this year, and while most of that can be attributed to the newer surface at Putnam being pretty abrasive I think I've got some suspension work to do.

2020's shortened season freed up some cash so I purchased some new leathers. My old Teknic suit wasn't perforated and I would just melt in the midwest heat. What I learned very quickly is that it wasn't cut for the track either. The new suit is far more comfortable both for cooling and range of motion. My primary focus for 2020 was to work on braking/downshifts and body position and the new suit helped more than I thought it would.

I ended 2020 with some maintenance concerns. The shock hasn't been serviced since 2014 and the forks have only had a seasonal pump and dump since then. Possibly part of my rear wear issues. So all is going to Velocity Calibrations over the winter for service. If you watch my Youtube vids, one thing I noticed both riding and watching is that my front end is chattering pretty bad in the fast corners. Hopefully the service will take care of it, and I know I've got to fix it before I go any faster. Will take the opportunity to clean and grease the rear linkage too. Next is the clutch. Near the end of 2019, I switched to a "Pridmore" style of slipping the clutch on downshifts. This bike was street duty for the first 8 years of it's life and has 6 years of track duty totaling 28k and change. Today I pulled the stack and it's got more than half it's life left, so I'm super happy about that. Brake wear is good all around. Tires, brake fluid flush, suspension service, and an oil change and she's ready to go again.

Back when the bike was street only, I did a -1 (15T) on the front. I'm finding myself topping out 3rd just before a braking marker at Putnam and almost tagging the limiter in 6th in 3 places at NCM. I've ordered a new 16T front sprocket to see if I can make better use of the power band. Cheap experiment. I got a new kit at the end of 2019 so it's still fresh enough not to have to replace it all. With that, and under the advice of Dave Moss, I moved the rear back as far as I could. Adding a tooth in the front shouldn't move it forward too much, and I can always go back to the 15T pretty easy.

All in all, I'm pleased with the season. It was a bit short and it's hard to make gains with so much downtime. I've got a goal for the off season to work on my flexibility and some lower body strength training. I'd like to be able to do a full weekend, and right now my groin can't take it. It should also give me more corner speed since I'm catching a toe here and there. More over and lower = less lean. I'm also trying to lose another 8-10 pounds. I'm down 15 from 2018.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
Sounds like a successful season Chuck. I haven't done any track time but it sounds like both you and the bike have to progress together. You learn a bit then need the bike tuned, then you progress farther and make more changes. Wash rinse repeat. I honestly am not at the level where I can be that critical of what the bike is doing and make changes. Great season for you in my books. Have you ever considered racing a bit?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racing turns recreation into a job. I raced bicycles in college and for a short time after. Racing just took the fun out of it. Not to mention I couldn't afford to race. My annual trackday budget is 2000-2500. If you're racing, that's a weekend budget.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
Yeah, I would think that was true. It is a hell of a lot of time to commit to as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts