Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
馃弽I have a 07 gsxr 600 that started losing power and running poorly at low rpm's and idle. It seemed to me like it was the fuel filter so I cleaned it out but that didn't solve the problem. In fact it wouldn't start at all after that. I have since cleaned the tank out and checked the lines. The pump is working and priming and delivering fuel to the rails. I took the upper injectors out and cleaned and tested them and they seem fine. It will start and rum for a few seconds with starter fluid so its firing. So then I figured the injectors are not getting the electric signal so I hooked up a muti-meter and it appears they are getting signal afterall. Now I'm stuck with no clue what to do next. Please help. 馃弽

Super Moderator
Welcome.

Good troubleshooting so far. Since it runs for a few seconds on starter fluid, you know you have a fuel issue.

My guess is that you might have damaged or mis-installed the o-rings on the pump, high pressure filter or relief valve while you were working on the pump. If you want to check this theory, just hook up a pressure gauge to the fuel pump. You should be getting about 43 psi.

BTW, the "top" injectors are the secondaries and do not start spraying till about 6k rpm with heavy throttle. The primaries are below them.

(I moved this to the tech section as it will get a better response there for this issue)

Registered
Check to see the primaries are squirting.

Premium Member
Cleaned the fuel filter? Are you sure? Did you reassemble the pump correctly?

You need to do a fuel delivery test.

Registered
So prior to it loosing power what did you do if anything? What mods are installed? How many miles, hard miles (drag strip pulls, track days, etc if any), when was the last time it went to a shop for service or do you service it?

Loosing power could come from:
Fouled/old plugs (have you changed/checked them recently, how was the coloration of the burn, and how did the electrodes look?)
Did you recently lift the fuel tank up and when putting it back down accidently pinched the fuel line?
Loss of compression but if this just started and has been running fine its probably something else.

Fuel flow test as previously mentioned if a good thing especially since you took it apart.
Are you getting any Fault Indications (FI)?
Can you get the bike to stay running or does it just fire and sputter out?
Do you still have the stock exhaust on it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did nothing pryor to losing power. In fact it came on gradually over a period of 2 or 3 days. I bought it over a year ago and ive put 2 or 3 thousand miles on it .It has about 25,000 miles on it now. It shows no codes -00. It has a aftermarket akrapovic exhaust that came on it. No power comander. F1 light has always been on. Never been on a track or drag raced that I know of. I drive it easy. I occasionally "get it" out on the highway but I mostly baby it. I just Checked and rechecked my reassembly of the fuel pump and lines and it all seems fine. I haven't checked fuel pressure but I have disconnected the fuel line and turned it on and it shoots fuel out also I have connected a syringe full off fuel to the fuel rails and applied pressure but it still wouldn't start. I haven't touched the plugs because the PO said he just put new ones in and it will start with starting fluid.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot tell for sure if the primary injectors are injecting. I am hearing some excessive clicking sounds from the throttle position sensor area that I don't think I ever heard before.

Registered
馃弽I have a 07 gsxr 600 that started losing power and running poorly at low rpm's and idle. It seemed to me like it was the fuel filter so I cleaned it out but that didn't solve the problem. In fact it wouldn't start at all after that. I have since cleaned the tank out and checked the lines. The pump is working and priming and delivering fuel to the rails. I took the upper injectors out and cleaned and tested them and they seem fine. It will start and rum for a few seconds with starter fluid so its firing. So then I figured the injectors are not getting the electric signal so I hooked up a muti-meter and it appears they are getting signal afterall. Now I'm stuck with no clue what to do next. Please help. 馃弽
I would keep investigating the pump/filter something that would affect all fuel into the engine. If you had an injector issue it would be isolated to a single cylinder and the bike would still run with a cylinder missing. Not likely all your injectors developed an issue at the same time. You did a lot of good troubleshooting keep the focus on pump/filter anything that affect all fuel flow to the engine. Good luck! Let us know what the problem ends up being.

Super Moderator
@CM2

Did you ever check the battery voltage at start and while running? Some of your symptoms sound like a low voltage problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No but I have ran the battery dead multiple times trying to start it and have had a charger connected many many times and the charger shows the battery statis and appears accurate so I don't think that there any battery issues. But then again, I've been wrong on all my previous diagnosis.

Registered
To check the injectors either pull them out or pull off the throttle bodies. Put a colored cloth in front of them, hold your throttle open, and hold the starter. You should see a mist pattern for each on the cloth. Those injectors had something like 8 holes so it should definitely mist and not drip. Injectors also make clicking noise while they function however it should not be pronounced so either they have run dry or one has failed but as mentioned just 1 failing will not keep the bike from running.

The other concern if the clicking from just 1 side. That's the same side as the timing chain, crank position sensor, and cam chain tensioner. Using the starting fluid does it start and stay running or just start then shut off. If it stays running then you have a fuel supply issue. If it doesn't stay running you might have a timing issue and even if it jumped 1 tooth its a huge issue.

Id suggest checking the fuel through the injectors first, then move to spark or timing.

Premium Member
Instead of doing something stupid, you could just put 2-4 drips of fuel in each intake and try to start. If it sputters and dies, it's an indication that it's not getting fuel.

Super Moderator
Instead of doing something stupid, you could just put 2-4 drips of fuel in each intake and try to start. If it sputters and dies, it's an indication that it's not getting fuel.
He stated back in #6 " and it will start with starting fluid."

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It will only run on starting fluid. When its all burned, it dies instantly. I try to not do that often because I assume that cannot be good for it. But I've done it enough to convince myself that it is not gonna run on its own fuel.
I have only removed the top( or secondary) Injectors. I had to "easy-out" (or what would more accurately be call "hard-out" )the two Phillips machine screws that hold that fuel railI in place. Then I replaced them both with identical bolts other than a more modern drive like hex, Allen, or star.. i cleaned the 4 secondaries with injector cleaner then ran fuel thru them under preassure from a syringe via small tubing. I tested them by tapping small jumpers to the battery terminals and they all looked good.
.......ok .......
Before when I was watching to see if the primaries were squrting, I can only confirm seeing one of them squrt and maybe a drizzle out of another and they appeared to stop after just a couple cycles.
........ Now......I'm about to take out the primaries for cleaning and testing. However it would appear that the two Phillips-head machine screws that hold the primary rail in place are also stripped and require hard-out. Ok i might have just slightly stripped one just a little bitty teeny tiny bit but I'm putting that one on SUZUKI !!
Thats where I'm at now. Thanks everybody for all the interest and all your help and advice.
I will update asap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The primary injectors will inject fuel when I individualy connect them to the battery. And when I try to start it while manually making one inject , that cylinder will fire. So it is the signal goin to the injectors or the lack there of. I still feel like something in the throttle position sensor area is not right. Abrupt Clicking sounds and it doesn't move in the same sequence everytime I turn it on.

Super Moderator
Did I miss somewhere that you said the fuel pump was running while the starter was cranking the engine?

Premium Member
The clicking is because the bike isn't starting. It's the STVA trying to open up when it's already open. If there are no EFI codes, don't mess with it.

Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
There aren't any phillips screws on your motorcycle. You will save yourself a lot of stripped screws with a JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screw driver.

Super Moderator
The clicking is because the bike isn't starting. It's the STVA trying to open up when it's already open. If there are no EFI codes, don't mess with it.
Doesn't this happen also if the voltage is low?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts