Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants me to co-sign for a bike loan for him. I really do not want to since I'm in the process of buying a house. Iv been doing some research on the internet but have come up short. Is there anyway he can get a loan without a co-signer with bad credit? Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
dont do it...money and family dont mix.....money and friends either.

i would rather give money to family or friends then loan or cosign a loan...almost without exception never ends well

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I wouldn't. If he really really wants one, he can save his money for a while and make a bigger down payment or just pay cash outright. If he can't save money he wouldn't be able to make a payment anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Def. don't do it, even though he is family.
One missed or late payment and it's your credit that gets hit.
If you're trying to buy a house, an extra open balance won't look good on you and could effect the amount you will qualify for and your interest rate.

He needs to SAVE up and pay cash. Get a 2nd job.... there are other options without relying on you to co-sign.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Definately don't. A) Don't ever mix money and family. B) Don't mix bad credit and purchases of a luxury item. C) If he is late on a bike OR insurance payment your gonna be screwed (and he will need full coverage if there is a loan). If he can't afford a bike himself then he can't get one. I know you'd like to ride with your bro but it is definitely not worth it.

·
Administrator
5,586 Posts

i would rather give money to family or friends then loan or cosign a loan...almost without exception never ends well
I wouldn't. If he really really wants one, he can save his money for a while and make a bigger down payment or just pay cash outright. If he can't save money he wouldn't be able to make a payment anyway.
Definately don't. A) Don't ever mix money and family. B) Don't mix bad credit and purchases of a luxury item. C) If he is late on a bike OR insurance payment your gonna be screwed (and he will need full coverage if there is a loan). If he can't afford a bike himself then he can't get one. I know you'd like to ride with your bro but it is definitely not worth it.
+100000
You guys hit the nail on the head. Loaning money to family is like giving it away. They might as well say will you give me some money thats what it ends up being. And leads to hard feelings on both sides. DON'T DO IT

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was never going to sign for him I more less was curious if there was a site on the net or a "bad credit" loan he could get? I just not had any luck looking for one.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
i would think that he could go to the dealer with a down payment and they will find him a loan, but the interest rates will be higher then a cats ass...might have him look into a local credit union, they will give a decent interest loan amount on so so credit..much better then a regular bank.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just tell him to save up the money and buy a bike him self. Are you a bank?

Or, Buy your house, take out a home equity loan and give him the money for a bike

·
Registered
95 Posts
If he has bad credit, he doesn't need a bike. Period. End of story. Clearly his credit sucks for a reason. He needs to take his money and fix his credit before he worries about buying a motorcycle. You should encourage him to unf*ck his credit first. Getting a loan with a horrible interest rate is only going to compound his credit issues if he doesn't make his payments properly.

·
Registered
582 Posts

+100000
Im with JPG! my father told me this very same thing after my first day of work!! and I have to say its worked out for me so far!!

maybe he should save up and buy a used bike...

·
Registered
204 Posts
http://helpmeride.com/

According to an article on one of the bike magazine that is a company that is helping individuals obtain a motorcycle with bad credit. I believe the article said as low as 520.

I do agree with what the others have to say as far as lending money to family and friends, and not being able to afford the payments. After all, there is a reason he has bad credit. No Offense.

Anyway, just wanted to answer your Q.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.