Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

my first accident

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  SDOG 
#1 ·
tonight i was coming home from sonic, was following a red F150. we were going about 35-40 mph, going down the road, and we were almost half way through an intersection, maybe less, and i had glanced off to my left to make sure no cars were gonna turn, and the guy in the truck ahead of me decided to slam on his brakes (with no signalling of course) and turn there. i locked up the brakes and just clipped the left side of his bumper, i have NO IDEA how i managed to keep the bike up, but i did. she whobbled like crazy and i was prepared to go down, but i kept it up. we stopped and made sure everyone was okay, decided not to turn anything in to insurance (my bike is fucked, but it was technically my fault since i hit him) and his truck has a small scratch on the bumper and thats it. the guy was super super nice, and we even loaded my bike up in the back of his truck and he drove me home (about 18 miles away.) needless to say, this was scary as hell. ive never had an accident in my car, anyones car, nor have i even been in a car accident. so my first one, was wrecking my motorcycle. but im okay. my balls are little sore and so are my knees, but im good. could have been A LOT worse.

a cop came and asked what happened and i explained. he asked if i even had a motorcycle license (but didnt ask to see it, or any other paperwork) and i told him we agreed not to turn anything in to insurance and there was no need for a police report, and he said okay see ya later. i think he was a bit lazy and didnt want to mess with the situation.

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't take this the wrong way, but you should have visually cleared those intersections way before you even got to them not when you were half way through them. Keep in mind, CAGERS are out to KILL you. I'm glad to hear you did not get hurt worse than you did.

ALWAYS LEAVE ROOM FOR STUPIDTY, BECUASE HE IS THE ONE AHEAD OF YOU.

And remember you only got $10 to spend.;)

#5 ·
Clearing the intersection does no good when the person infront of you randomly decides to slam on there brakes.

Glad you made it out ok. Probably a good thing for you that there were no insurance claims or charges made. I think usually in a rear ender the the person in back is always considered at fault, because they should of been paying more attention to avoid this, or leaving more of a gap.

#4 ·
yeah im really lucky he was cool about it. and i will admit it was about 90% my fault. i know i should have been prepared to stop. but in my defense you can't just slam on your brakes half way through an intersection to turn. regardless, its over and done. words wont do anything about it now. now i need to buy new stuff... hint hint

#6 ·
exactly man. exactly why we didnt turn it in. a cop came and i explained to him what happened and the first thing he says is "do you have a motorcycle license" lol we have a problem around here with a lot of illegal riders. anyway he didnt even ask to see it, or any other paperwork. he aksed if we wanted to do a police report and i said no, and he said okay see ya later.

#8 ·
Lol does sound like a lazy cop, usually even if you tell them you do have all the paper work they still ask to see it. And it seems like they usually try to get you to file a report weather you want to or not. Atleast the other driver was cool, most people are greedy ass holes and will try to get money out of you any way they can, and it seems like sport bike riders get the finger pointed at them even more because we have a bad stigma against us.

#10 ·
Lol I hear ya, no mater how well you come out in an accident, your still bumed no matter what the outcome was. I just went down a couple weeks ago from a stupid mistake, broke my collar bone, scraped up the left side of the bike. Even thou it could of turned out much worse, I still seem focus on the bad points more than the good.

#11 ·
Broken collar bones suck, snapped my left one in 05 (twisties), took a chip off the end in 07 on Saturday then on Sunday chipped another piece off, on the left again...LOL(Track).......

#15 ·
Bikes can be repaired/replaced, just a good job you're ok buddy!!! Just remember that some learning curves are steeper than others and some curves end in tears!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.