Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scheduled my Basic Riders Course for this weekend. It is 15 hours long and I'm wondering how interesting it is. Will I be bored out of my skull like I was for the defensive driving class or is this better? I've been riding for 4 years and probably should have scheduled this a while ago. Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I scheduled my Basic Riders Course for this weekend. It is 15 hours long and I'm wondering how interesting it is. Will I be bored out of my skull like I was for the defensive driving class or is this better? I've been riding for 4 years and probably should have scheduled this a while ago. Thanks in advance for the info.
i thought my course was fun and the instructors were cool

you'll prob be bored but the riding time goes by really fast

·
Registered
201 Posts
the classroom portion and the beginning of the riding day are really boring.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The BRC will teach you that even after 4 years of riding you don't know everything about riding.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's better than a history class!

You've been riding for 4yrs and your taking a basic riders course...

Why not take an advanced course?
I'm taking the basic course because I was told the courses are designed to work as a sequence (and to lower my insurance).

·
Registered
971 Posts
dad just bought a harley 883. he hasn't ridden in 30 years. told him i would take it too so he wouldn't be in there by himself. hope its not too bad.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, my agent told me I would get 5 years of discounts after I take the course. It costs $275 and I'll decrese my insurance $200/year

·
Registered
594 Posts
Unless you have progressive which gives you a whopping $0.00 of a discount. In PA the course is FREE. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
State Farm did not give me a discount, even tho I told them a bunch of times about it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
i have statefarm too. i wonder if i will get a discount. i hate posting after that guy. guess i'm the gay again DAMMIT!!!!:funny:

·
Registered
95 Posts
By the way, the point of the MSF courses isn't to have fun. It's to help keep you safe. So whether or not it's exciting, pay attention and try to improve your skills when you're on the bike. Yes, some of the drills are pretty easy, even for a new rider. But it's a great opportunity to focus on improving your form and such.

I'd agree with taking the BRC first. If you can afford it, it's good to take the course using a loaner bike before you use your own in the ERC. Wouldn't you rather dump a loaner bike doing figure 8's instead of your own?

Oh, and for those who think the classroom is boring...I had people in my class who claimed to have ridden for 20 years almost fail the written exam. So don't automatically think the class is worthless.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you've never taken the Basic MSF course I guarantee that you do not know everything AND you will learn more than you think. I have been only riding for 2 years and I have much better skills than some of my friends that have been riding a lot longer. Why? because I know the proper techniques, how to properly enter a corner, how to properly counter steering, etc.. I have a friend who's been riding for 14yrs and 3 weeks ago we took the ERC. He never took the BRC, I had. Guess who did better and handling the bike.
We both ride 1000cc bikes. His is an 08 mine is an 06.

No matter what you WILL learn something from the BRC. You will not get bored (well maybe a little bit in the class room).

Here is how I like to look at it (Just my opinion):

If you've never take proper training and just learn on the streets, then you are riding on instinct. You are riding to survive. You become too comfortable and too confident.

If you are properly taught the correct techniques, you'll enjoy the ride much more, get to higher levels much faster and you will always ride with caution and safety. As a result you become a better skilled rider.

Take the MSF. It will be the best thing you do for your passion of riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts