Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is it going guys? I need your help on this one. In my manual it states when I change my plugs I need to look at the color of the plug to determine if this one is the right plug for the bike. I am working on my 02 gsxr 1k . the stock plug is a cr9e. the manual states that a light brown color is the correct color of the plug. it says that if the plg is colored white or black it needs to be adjusted. the manual also gives me the choice of either a cr8e or a cr10e if it is one of the white or black colors , but it doesent say what the colors mean or what hottness plug I need to use to match the color it just says if this is the case then I ned to take it to the dealership and let them fix it. well I can tell you I am not going to take my bike to the dealership to change my plugs! I have called and talked to 4 supposed experts in the gixxer field and i have gotten 2 different answers from all of them! I am confused. do I need to stay the same ? do i need a hotter plug ? do I need a colder plug? I have a new k&n filter in it and a yosh slip on and I tre. and thats it. my bike has 8000 miles on it. I live in indiana for elevation. I only run 93+ Octane and I did put fuel stabil in it this winter. it has been ridden with the stabil in it. Please help me! please write I agree or disagree with the comment made by others i am taking a poll !

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
How many miles do those plugs have on them. If they have been in there awhile you should be fine. Just change them and ride a few hundred miles and look at them again. If they are still sooty black, You can go to a hotter plug which is the cr8e.

You also might wnat to look into getting the bike mapped for the mods you have done. It will make a noticeable difference in performance and problably take care of the lean condition you have right now,

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the bike about 6 months ago when it had 7500 miles on it. Every time i started the bike it has always died once and then stayed running on the second start. I am not sure as to how long these plugs have been in it. I havent even ridden the bike with the new k&n filter. I just put it in . the only resonI included the k&n Is because I thought it might help make the decision as to what plug to put in it for the future!

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Whats the elevation there? and are they black and wet or dry?

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
6,979 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just as an FYI there is a huge difference between hot and cold plugs. What hot and cold is referring to is how quickly the plug can dissipate the heat into the cylinder head. A cold plug which is used on a high compression engine has a short stem on it so the heat can travel more readily into the head and not run the risk of causing detonation. Hot plugs have a longer stem to keep the heat in the plug to help with igniting and burning the fuel in low compression engines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.