Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Need Advise

4K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  boostinscooby 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been drag racing cars since I was 16, recently have been bitten by the sportbike bug. Rode dirtbikes when I was younger and consider myself to be an intermediate rider.

Took my 04' GSXR 1K to the track to make a pass or two and discovered it's not as easy as the regulars make it look. The bike is basically stock w/ a slip on, PCIII and is lowered about an 1" in the front and 1 1/2" in the rear.

Here's my best pass so far, watch the video and let me know what I can do to improve my launch etc.... Thanks in advance....

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/GSXR-1K-1080-Pass_682947.htm

Here's some video of my first passes a couple weeks back...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1320-Twist-2_681761.htm

#2 · (Edited)
Gear it (-1+1 or +2), strap it and with some practice you'll be in the 9s . Get down on the tank.. literally put your head down in the crouch position, up in the gauges, elbows up in the air and try launching at 3-4k then move up 500RPM at a time. Need to get 1st gear wide open before the 1st to 2nd shift. Practice... practice... practice. Might also be good to keep your feet forward when ready to launch, not back behind you. Putting them behind you makes it difficult to get your feet forward on the pegs when the Gs kick in. All the above worked for me... Good luck!

#3 ·
EW, Thanks for the reply. Picked up the strap Mon, I'll have it on the next time I get to go. Rain is here almost every afternoon right now, I hope to get out there Wed after next and apply your advise.

Stock gearing now, considering the +2 option in the near future. Want to improve my technique first, and break the short shifting habit. Thanks again.... Sean

#4 ·
The gearing change will make a huge difference, the cheaper route is to go -1 on the front sprocket and see how that affects your time. A tenth lower 60 foot time will make a huge difference overall and you can improve that with practice, the strap and the sprocket. Post the progress.

#6 · (Edited)
work on your launches. and when you feel like your not getting any faster as the bike gets louder (usually when you redline) now is the time to shift. run the gears out all the way, something i caught my self doing was not using all the throttle helped me quite a bit me>:infrandom <me

#8 · (Edited)
If you're not against to swapping gearing w/o changing the chain going -1 +1 will let you keep your axle in the same spot. Now... if you're swappin the chain you want the axle all the way to the back. Cut the chain long. Might need to buy new adjuster bolts, I did. I'm not with the -2 on the front idea but if you are and you can still adjust the chain after its on without shortening it then you should be in good shape. When you strap it, crank it as far down as you can get it to go. You can always release it inbetween runs if it wont sit on the stand right. Careful walking away from it while strapped, it'll sit straight up and down sometimes.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. When it gets time to replace the rear tire, (currently a Michellin power pilot) what would you suggest, keep in mind I still ride on the street quite a bit.

Anyone have pics of how they ran their front end strap, I know it seems elementary but I don't want to make any rookie mistakes that may damage the bike or get me hurt.....:thumbup:

#11 ·
Ok, went out to the shop tonight to install the front end strap. Bought one from the local shop packaged by Brocks Performance. My problem is now it appears that I will also need some adapters to attach the fricken thing to the calipers.

My question is are there any simple alternatives to the $50 CNC'd ones Brock sells, I don't want to booger up the bike and I know from what I've been reading on here some of you guys are pretty innovative. I just feel like I'm over thinking it, it's a curse..

I started making a template to carve some out of 3/16ish aluminum plate but prototype is a little ugly. I also have some concerns about the strength at the caliper bolt area. I will have to cut them down so thin to get them to seat properly around the radius of the bolt head....Blah Blah Blah... Whadda you got 4 me?.....

#14 ·
Update

Got out to the track tonight finally after 2 weeks of rain. I want to thank you guys for the advise, ran a new personal best of 10.22 @ 137 with a 1.70 60ft, previously 10.80 @ 131 w/ a 2.0ish 60ft.

First pass was a 10.74, track was not the best, had to hunt for the groove. Each pass got progressively better, using a bit of everyones advise, focusing specifically on the launch procedure.

The strap on the front makes a big difference allowing me to launch it harder and harder as the night went on. Looks like a gear change and a bit more practice should put me in the 9s...Thanks again... Peace Out.......:bowdown:

#21 ·
I've been 9.30 @ 150mph in a car ( my pro-charged bbc cutlass ) and have that license already. This will be a cross-grade to mx et..... very excited...... sshhhh! don't tell the car guys.... They're already riding me like a circus pony when they see me in the staging lanes, dollar for dollar the bike is more fun right now, the car has to constantly be wrenched on when your making that kind of power.....blah, blah, blah,..... Hope to have some video of tomorrow if the weather holds out........

#22 · (Edited)
All you need is an arm and a shifter and you'll be running those numbers... silly cage drivers. Oh yea.. one other thing. If you're short wheelbase put as much air in the tires you're comfortable with. I'm running 60 in the front and 45 in the rear. If it spins let out 2lbs at a time till it stops. MPH will go up... Always willing to help out a brother firefighter :)

#24 · (Edited)
What do you mean by arm and a shifter? :headscrat

I've been running 36#s front and rear with some success leaving at 5k give or take a few hundred. What tire are you running? Leaning towards the Shinko still want to hit the streets with my buddies on occasion, if that matters.

Question?... What is the most accurate way to determine chain/ sprocket size? I want to go -1 in the front but being new to the bike thing not sure what size to buy. It's pretty beefy and I know it's bigger than 520 for sure. Already purchased a RK 525 chain and sprocket set (stock gearing) but have changed my mind about the ratio, just want to change the front sprocket to see how it feels with the current set up.... I'll be needing a link removal tool as well, any suggestions...

EW... How long you been in the fire service, paid or volunteer, your position etc... Thanks for the help brother...;)........U 2 pswamp, ever go to South Georgia Motorsports Park in Valdosta?

#25 ·
ive been in the fire service bout 6 years, i started as a junior ff when i was 16 volunteering then got on part time with jekyll island (still work there) and now full time with nsb kings bay subase www.gearingcommander.com will help out a lot, just put your bike and year in and it will give you the stock sprocket numbers and ratios from there, goin -1 up front is like going +2 or 3 in the rear, link removal= grinder and a master link. thats my solution, dont go to valdosta that much, we have i believe over a 1000 acre off rd park in my home town, www.ecc-orp.com they sometimes have decent concerts (colt ford- brantley gilbert)...

#30 ·
Congrats on the national registry and good luck w/your full time slot. After 15 years I hope to be attending medic school in the fall.:thumbup:

Do you do most of your own wrenching? I prefer to do all my own stuff unless I don't have the tools available. I really like working on the stupid thing.

I've heard the clutch growl at me a couple times so far and with nearly 14k miles I imagine it should be inspected at the very least. I have already been thinking about the spring upgrade but want to be prepared to upgrade the whole thing if necessary.

I think the chain currently on it is a 530 but I just need to verify that so I can get a front sprocket and put that sucker in the 9s. Then after some research on the subject I'll be ready for the air shifter.

What do you know about turbos, I just like the way that sounds....:woot:

#31 ·
congrats on the N,R ew, definately got more brains than i do, im gettin a used barnett clutch kit with maybe a few hundred miles on it, im gonna be doing it myself since all it is, is pulling the covers, and sliding disc in and out, i used to not do my own wrenching but my mechanic quit working and now its learn to do it myslef or pay 70.00 an hour and have to leave it over nite or "over week" ... which is definately a no no for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.