Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 gsxr1000 keeps shuting down after riding for an hour or so, it starts to choke and then suddenly the revs go to zero. Before shutting down, the bike runs great.

This started happening to me last year, after I got a new yoshi full exhaust and power commander. Gave it to two different shops and they don't know what it is. The map on the commander is correct, its not the header because I put the stock ones on yesterday and the same thing was happening.

If anyone has any suggestions im alll ears. Yesterday stalled on the NY thruway and would have to wait a little, then i restared the bike and went a few miles until it started happening again. At that point it started to happen more and more frequently, until i couldnt start it again. Had to get the bike towed, cost me 120$.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
I might suspect a tank venting issue, since it happens after a long ride. Also check the Tech FAQ section on pulling error codes to see if you have any.
I was just gettin ready to say, sounds like what Im going through in my post and you answered, lol. Only difference is it only happened once to me... so far. Ive had the bike out for about 2 hours tops after that but not all at once.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Pump could be starting to go, you might have a slight clog in one of the filters or it could be an intermittent wiring issue?

What kind of techs are they hiring nowadays where you take it to two different shops and neither has the slightest idea of the problem? :headscrat

Seriously, motorcycles are not that hard to work on or diagnose, in a lot of states you don't even need to be certified.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been running on those spark plugs for about a year, I had the bike tunned last year, so they changed the plugs. Some one suggested to me that the plugs i have need to be upgraded, that when i run the bike hot, the plugs are still cold and since the power commander delivers more fuel then the cold spark plugs dont ignite, but that is just one theory.

The second problem is, since it happens after long rides, it is hard for the shop to recreate this problem and on top of that there were no codes thrown by the computer so the computer dosn't tell us anything. The only thing that shows up is a check sign, and thats it.

I dont know about the fuel pump, since the problem is consistent, which means that heat and duration of riding are factors, if it was the pump then it would happen at any time, not just after long rides. I think it has something to do with the combustion components of the bike. Just not sure which component. I'm going to talk to another mechanic and go down the several possibilities. Start with the simplist and most logical, and see where it goes from there. I really want to solve this problem because I really love this bike, it runs great and i put alot of time and money into it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Most fuel pumps don't just quit one day out of the blue, they usually have intermittent issues leading up to total failure. Heat and vibration would contribute to the pump dying. You can test the fuel pressure easy enough and rule it out.:cool:

If you haven't swapped the plugs in a year or so, i'd at least pull them and take a look. A full system and tune isn't really enough to require a cooler or hotter plug though.:headscrat

How many miles?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike has 15000 miles, but I have been taking care of it really well. I am not going to rule the fuel pump out but I really doubt that thats it.

I was talking with some people out work today and they were telling me that it might be a vapor lock in my fuel tank, that my fuel cap is letting any air in, that seems like a simple fix so im really considering and hoping that that is the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts