Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up yall....well last weekend I was racing my bike down the street and it decided to start knocking on me. It is still running but it knocks and does not sound good. I need some help, I dont really know anything about bikes except for how to ride and where to put the gas. Is is worth it to try to fix it, get a new engine, trade it in??? I really am lost and dont know what to do. My bike is a 96 gixer 750, it has a lot done to it and it only has 12,000 miles on it! Please Help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most of the time it is cheaper to get a engine out of wreck, this is what I did with my R1. The dealers do not sell kits to rebuild a motor like the car companies do, they sell each piece individually, make the cost to rebuild out of sight. The wreck them every day my guess is you can find a motor for about a grand if you look around and are willing to pay cash

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Yep like plastic said and you could start by lurking at your local bike shop for repair shops that can lead you to the right direction.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
I found a lot of salvage sites and yards when I was looking for parts for my car... Send me a pm with your email address and I will send you the links...

I would also check the basic things first, oil and that you put in good gas since it has a lot of mods 87 may not be any good for it if your trying to race it...

And btw MR Officer you shouldn't have been racing on the streets much less addmitting it to us! Hahaa

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Describe the knock a bit better.

You may have a loose cam chain. (not really bad)
You MAY have only bent a valve ( could be bad, but not necessarily)
You MAY have spun a main bearing (pretty bad)
You may have CHUNKED a valve (very bad)

So you never know. Take it to a shop and have them do an estimate for you. Most shops only charge about $50-$60 for an estimate, and that goes back towards labor if you have the work done there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey lyte I was not speeding I am just kidding..... :lol: Well the knock is kinda hard to explain it does not do it when it is idol just when it is under load. The reason is because they oil was low which I did not know because I just had the oil changed not to long back. It must have been burning it because it never leaked. When I talked to someone about my problem at this bike shop by my house they were talking about how it would be about 1500 just to crack my case to see what is wrong with it....does that seem a lil steep?? This whole situation is bumming me out....I really miss riding my bike!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
$1500 jsut to find out waht is wrong with it :boxing: HELL YA THAT IS STEEP....

I charge $55 for a standard estimate
$100 for an electrical diagnosis
and $150 for a teardown inspection (which does not include reassembly if work is denied, then it is $300)

All of these charges are estimate fees, which will be deducted from the total labor if you have the work done with me. Reason being I would have had to do it anyway right ;)

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
There is a guy I know does motorcycle repair in san diego he is out in the la mesa area. He has like a home business and has the best prices I have ever seen in san diego. He plastic welded 3 of my fairings for me for $40 a piece I think it was. I also saw this girls ninja she went off into a ditch on he was fixing. I have the info at home in my other car (he has business cards and a website) you might want to give him a call and see how much he would charge you to break it down and look at it.

My bike when I first got it did the same thing I didn't know it was low on the dirty oil that was in it and I reved it pretty high then it started knocking. I drained that oil and put some suzuki factory oil in there and it hasn't knocked since then that I have noticed.... Might want to also try that

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ohad said:
Hey lyte I was not speeding I am just kidding..... :lol: Well the knock is kinda hard to explain it does not do it when it is idol just when it is under load. The reason is because they oil was low which I did not know because I just had the oil changed not to long back. It must have been burning it because it never leaked. When I talked to someone about my problem at this bike shop by my house they were talking about how it would be about 1500 just to crack my case to see what is wrong with it....does that seem a lil steep?? This whole situation is bumming me out....I really miss riding my bike!!
Who changed your oil and when? Did you do it or a dealer? These are very important questions.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Lyte- said:
There is a guy I know does motorcycle repair in san diego he is out in the la mesa area. He has like a home business and has the best prices I have ever seen in san diego. He plastic welded 3 of my fairings for me for $40 a piece I think it was. I also saw this girls ninja she went off into a ditch on he was fixing. I have the info at home in my other car (he has business cards and a website) you might want to give him a call and see how much he would charge you to break it down and look at it.

My bike when I first got it did the same thing I didn't know it was low on the dirty oil that was in it and I reved it pretty high then it started knocking. I drained that oil and put some suzuki factory oil in there and it hasn't knocked since then that I have noticed.... Might want to also try that
What you describe was probably a vavle tick, not a knock. Knock is typically a description of a spun/damaged bearing or detonation.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
may have been... we know how to adjust valves on a car but i duno about on a bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.