Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I no this subject has probably been beaten to death, but is it O.K to change over to a synthetic oil at 300 miles, which is where Im at on my 04 1k. I waited untill 1500 miles on my other two bikes, but I thought I should do an oil change early to get all the crap out of there before the 600 mile service. I have three quarts of Mobile 1 15w/50 sitting around and thought about using them before my next ride this weekend. Should I use the oil or just wait for the 600 mile service. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I usually change the oil at ZERO miles first. There are alot of milling particles left in the engine. I use a petroleum oil for the first 500. Then Change to a semi or full synthetic... depending on what flavor I feel most confident in on that porticular bike.

To answer your question, change your oil, but put dynosaur oil back in for now. At 300 MOST of the break in is already done.... and you are probalby fne with synthetic, but just in case..........

·
Registered
522 Posts
if i remember correctly, however i may not, i believe u break the bike in for a total of 1000 miles thenu can start using its full potential. I Personaly i waited till 2500 to make sure everything set completely. but thats just me....
I went to full synthetic at that point. silkolene

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I will use regular dino. oil for the first one and then switch to a synthetic after my 600 mile service.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
freak_accident said:
if i remember correctly, however i may not, i believe u break the bike in for a total of 1000 miles thenu can start using its full potential. I Personaly i waited till 2500 to make sure everything set completely. but thats just me....
I went to full synthetic at that point. silkolene
Your break in was done about 500 miles.... regardless of what the manual says. Actually probably less than that. The only break in a bike goes through is seating the rings to the cylinder wall....

do you think any racers actually ride there bikes for 1000 miles before breaking them in ;) . I think not. And before you say "well they are always blowing there shit up too" or whatever... MOST privateers and club racers run on one motor for AT LEAST one full season if not more without any problems.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
There was a guy who posted a link for break in on the old gsxr forum(befor being hacked). It pretty much said to break it in the way you would ride. In other words rip on it right out of the box. More on that later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts