Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. FIRST ever post. I just bought a gsxr 750 a few weeks ago (rebuilt title) runs and drives fine but runs hot and is way way too loud. I’m literally gonna go deaf driving this thing. Yes with earplugs. Took a cruise around town, on some straight roads I let it rip a few times. I literally have pain in my ears, popping etc lol. Long term will undoubtedly cause hearing damage. My question is what can I do to quiet this thing down as previous owner seemed to have just cut the exhaust and called it a day. Any tips, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Kind of noobish as far as bikes go. Went from calm tame ninja 650 to this monster. So I think I overstepped my boundaries a bit. Looking for some feedback, info on what I can do. Temps range from 190-225 at stop lights and slow traffic. This thing runs abnormally hot in my opinion. Pretty sure this thing is tuned. Literally starts screaming around 7k. So like I said any clear input, feedback would be greatly appreciated. Love the bike just hellishly loud.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tread

·
Administrator
11,485 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

2006 or 2007 year?

It looks like the previous owner just took the slip on muffler off the pipe, look around and find another that fits.

Considering you are stopped in 90+ weather those temperatures are not unusual. I am assuming the fan is coming on and the temperature starts going down afterward.

I would pull the cowling and check that the radiator is full to the top. Fluid level in the reservoir is not the best indication.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She’s a 2007! Thanks for the welcome and quick response. Slip on is what I’m gonna do for sure. I’m gonna switch to the squishy ear plugs in the mean time see if that makes a difference. I believe fan kicks on when temp reaches 220-225. I’ll be sure to pull the fairings soon as I have the time. Work a tight shift as an Apprentice auto tech. Doesn’t need to be daily driven at this time. Few times out of the week at most. Gonna take me a few to get a slip on. I’ll do some research on fitment for them. Check the radiator to make sure it’s topped off. I’ll get back to you soon about the radiator level. But man does that thing got my ears hurting. Wondering is it mechanically safe to run without the slip on? will a retune be necessary once said slip on is installed? Or just add the slip on throw all the noise further back and call it a day. It is a rebuilt title so I’m sure I’m gonna have things to deal with and fix here and there. I searched around but can’t seem to find a clear cut owners manual to download on it. It starts screaming early around 7k. Feels like it’s tuned for sure as well. Thanks again for your input. Very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,485 Posts
The fan is controlled by the ECM and will go on precisely at 221 F and back off 212 F as shown on the cluster.

The normal cycle is it gets to 221, fan on, continues to climb a few more degrees before coming back down and the fan turns off at 212. Cycle repeats.

You only have to start worrying if you start seeing 240+. Usually that is because the fan is not working.

I have a 2006 750 (same bike) and never did find an owners manual in pdf form so bought one from the dealer. It was less than $20. I bet you can find one cheaper on Ebay.

And yes, these bike really come alive at 7-8k rpm and pull hard to redline.

BTW, if I'm riding with a guy with a loud exhaust, they go to the back. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha I hear you I’ll take that as a tip to keep behind my buddy next time I ride with him until
I get this slip-on lol.. Also relieving to know I’m running average temps for being in this Florida heat. Next time I ride it I’m gonna keep close eye on temps make sure it engages at 221. Glad to know all this is normal. Temps/rpm’s etc. Brings peace to my mind. Thank-you very much for the info on this I’ll keep you updated whenever I have time to get to that radiator make sure it’s topped off correctly. Currently at 22,450 as far as mileage goes as well.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I feel your ear pain. Hell, even the jardine GP1 that was on my old bike when I bought it would have been quieter than that pipe on your bike. And that was way too loud.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,101 Posts
While shopping for a pipe, be cautious, as most of the "cheap" ones, are just as loud as open exhaust. I would be looking for a used full length Yosh. They are about the quietest of the good aftermarket that I have seen thus far. Plus, they are the most common, so finding one used should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
What? I can't hear you. What exhaust LOL.
What they said.

·
Super Moderator
1,417 Posts
Haha I hear you I’ll take that as a tip to keep behind my buddy next time I ride with him until
I get this slip-on lol.. Also relieving to know I’m running average temps for being in this Florida heat. Next time I ride it I’m gonna keep close eye on temps make sure it engages at 221. Glad to know all this is normal. Temps/rpm’s etc. Brings peace to my mind. Thank-you very much for the info on this I’ll keep you updated whenever I have time to get to that radiator make sure it’s topped off correctly. Currently at 22,450 as far as mileage goes as well.
Good day and welcome to the forum fellow gsxr man!
I actually have a very nice Scorpion Slip on that was a spare for when I was track minded. If you’re interested I am planning to post it up for sale soon.
You can get first dibs if you want I’ll send the pics directly to you, just let me know. It is the same as this one on my bike here.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man appreciate the warm welcome. Yeah I’m definitely interested. However funds are real tight right now don’t get paid until Friday. Missed a lot of work due to medical reasons. So I’ll probably have to pass for now. If it’s still around in a few weeks I’ll give you a shout..

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,101 Posts
I have a half of a Yosh RS-3 (I think that's what it is), you can have it for the price of shipping it. Now I won't claim to be real efficient with shipping shit out, but I can do my best, LOL.
Anyway, it's in pretty good shape, and it isn't TOO loud. It sounded really good on my 750. I'll dig up a picture of here in a minute...

Reactions: Newyork

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so some new information on the bike that
I’ve done alot of research on. Basically the 2nd day I bought it, it left me stranded on the way to work completely cut off on me. Old owner came picked me up brought it home and diagnosed it as a bad Stator which was completely correct because I saw that the coils were burnt to hell. I Bought a new one few weeks later he quickly installed the new one for me due to the inconvenience. So yesterday I took her for a joy ride about half an hour and when I stopped at the gas station refueled. I started it, idled for 1 second and it completely cut off on me. Second start up i revved it stayed on and drove it home parked it in the driveway shut it back off. Went ahead and opened my garage turned it back on did the exact same thing completely cut off once it started up. Restarted it WITHOUT revving it and it stayed on. Pulled in the driveway. Cut it off and called it a night as all my tools and equipment are at the shop I work at currently. Basically I’m not too sure if this is a battery issue or Stator issue and pretty weary on driving it out because I do not wanna end up stranded. Very frustrated about this but it is what it is. If anybody has any idea on what it could be feed back would be greatly appreciated as it could probably even be unrelated to the Stator or battery. I’m leaning toward something in the Stator gear. Maybe something loose because if it was a battery it would struggle to turn over but it turned right on upon shutting back off. I could be completely wrong which is why I ask for a bit of input. kinda sucks has me very disappointed..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
One last thing I’ll note is I tried to replicate the problem got it up to temp locally around my neighborhood just driving in circles lol in case she cut off and didn’t turn back on. Issue is not present at this time she turned on and stayed on once I shut it off for 2 minutes. She just turned right back on and idled like the issue was never there so I’m pretty stumped on what it could
Be. This problem only occurs when I start the bike up at first not while running. UPDATE: I took the risk and ventured out further to go get some things from the store and it is basically like the problem never existed in the first place fired right up, no issue. After I came out of the store. Got home fine and parked it up. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I understand this probably isn’t the correct category for this thread so I’ll probably go ahead and swap this over to a more appropriate category like troubleshooting/starting problems if not responds but greatly the appreciate the help I have received in such a short time frame.​

·
Administrator
11,485 Posts
The side stand safety switch can cause these type symptoms. Usually, the side stand is sticky so it does not go up firmly and hold the switch fully in. Try lubing the side stand pivot bolt.

BTW, the way to sort of confirm this is to not do anything for 5 seconds or so after it shuts off. If it is the side stand switch, it should show CHEC in the temp window after a few seconds.

Also, what is the idle rpm when warm?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeez.. I remember when the problem first happened the second time, I had turned it back on and pulled it in from my driveway. I forgot to note that I DID see CHEC in the temp window in my garage right before I turned it back off for the night. This would make sense because I had paused for a minute after shutting it off and then went for the key and noticed… This really could be the culprit for all my concern ? Lol also really nice bikes you guys. Especially that 95’ that thing is a dime piece for the age of it..

·
Administrator
11,485 Posts
CHEC will show normally in a few seconds if you shut the bike off with the kill switch while the ignition switch is still on. This just means you've cut power to the ECM (with the kill switch) and the cluster is not getting any data.

It should not show CHEC if the bike just stalls.

It will show is a few seconds if you put the bike in gear with the side stand not up. Again, this cuts power to the ECM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I had hit the killswitch while pulling in my garage. When the bike did cut off I never noticed any CHEC… could have over looked it. But I know for a fact it just cut off turned it back on and she stayed on like I said. when I pulled it in the garage and killswitched it. That was the first time I ever saw that CHEC. Could have been overlooking this whole time but I been paying close attention to temps when parking on idle, driving etc. maybe
User error “new bike” unaware basically maybe not. But I’ll check what it’s idling at soon as I can. Basically your implying that this has nothing to do with why the bike cut off if I’m understanding correctly?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts