Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy, picked up a 01 gsxr 1000. Bike is beautiful and definitely different than riding the old mans 1970 harley. I already have questions, the bike seems to be running well shitty at low rpms what could this be? Could the gas be bad because I believe the bike sat for a bit or is it something else? It also idles at just under 1000 rpm, should it be higher than that? I know this may be the wrong spot but I figured I could get a welcome and some helpful info

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome. im from riverview mi & ride a 01 gsxr1000. love it. where u at??? maybe i can help.
Im in sterling heights, most likely there was no stabilizer and im not exactly sure on how long it sat, The bike fired right up and ran and after she warmed up she ran good up top but down low when im going slow it just seems sluggish or something, Idk if im riding at too low of an rpm cause im used to trying to save gas in my cobra. I figure im just gonna do an over haul or something, change the oil, drain the gas (is this hard?) see if any of that helps.

·
Registered
582 Posts
man I just went through the same thing.. except my bike was running like a top then the next morning I wash it and all of a sudden the thing sounds like a V-twin and wouldnt run right until it hit about 4k.... new set of plugs later and shes back to normal!
within your overhaul you should change out the plugs as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man I just went through the same thing.. except my bike was running like a top then the next morning I wash it and all of a sudden the thing sounds like a V-twin and wouldnt run right until it hit about 4k.... new set of plugs later and shes back to normal!
within your overhaul you should change out the plugs as well.
thanks, that will be added to the list....also as the name says im a little guy and my feet barely touch the ground, i want to lower the bike to feel a bit more comfortable on it. Any suggestions or is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
19 Posts
nice to see another new guy from michigan. I had the opposite problem I am 6'1" and the suspension was all the way down after adjusting the spring the bike fits perfect both feet on ground and vary nice in the turns. I'm new to bigger bikes but I have to say both feet on the ground is vary nice when starting and stopping so I would lower it. I wonder if theres anything aftermarket where you can lower the bike itself but still keep the spring rate you are at.....well if thats the spring rate you want I sappose you can always change it :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
im not sure but, maybe you might be use to low end tourqe ie the 70's harly , my bike runs excellent and it does fell maybe sluggish of the line but once you get the rpms up its a animal these bike s are made for high revs, i might be way of base on this and if so sorry for wasting your time but, if you can open her up with out any jolting or bogging then i wouldnt do anything but run out the carbon in her and enjoy the 9000 rpms rush that these bikes are well known for. just my 2 cents but maybe the harlys got you tainted on the power you should recieve at low rpms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts