Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God I hate being paranoid about these things, but I'm pretty sure this one's not normal, lol. So I take off normally down the street and take a little ride around the neighborhood. Park the bike, and 5 minutes later, start her up to go somewhere else. I get 200 yards down the street, shift to second, and at about 4-6k I start hearing this rapid tapping sound. I turn around and go home.

So now sitting here, the bike starts and idles fine, no abnormal noise or vibration that I can see/hear. When I slowly increase the revs to about 4k, in or out of gear, I start to hear a loud rattle coming from the cylinder head area (best I can tell).

It's a k7 750 with ~4500mi, no engine mods except disabled set and a tre. It ran perfect on a 250mi trip 2 days ago, no problems. I changed the oil with suzuki synthetic 10w40 1000mi ago with a new suzuki filter. The oil level looks good, so does the coolant.

I looked around for random components outside of the engine that could be rattling loose but couldn't find anything.

Can't be a loose chain or anything because it makes the noise sitting still... I'm totally stumped.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't understand why it would appear so suddenly unless something was broken. :headshake

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, fella at the shop said the same things. I'm gonna take it and and have the timing chain tensioner and valve clearance looked at just to be safe. I'll still post up a clip if I manage to get a good one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I started it today and the sound even appeared when at idle. I rode it a short way to the shop (couldn't borrow a truck) and heard it the whole way there. As soon as I got to the shop the noise stopped. I started to think I was on crack but my roommate heard it too. Left it there to see if it started again once the engine was cool... Bleh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.