Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know this question has been asked and answered millions of times, but I just wanted to get an opinion of the riders on this forum who actually never ridden before and started on a 600cc SS bike. I've read a lot of topics on this forums and it's a mix some people say don't waste your money on a 250cc because 2 months from now you will be selling it to get 600cc bike. Other say getting 600cc as a first bike is a bad idea and should stick with 250cc.

So here is my situation I already took MSF course and did pretty good on it. Was getting really comfortable toward the end of the second day on the bike. I had a opportunity to sit on GSX-R 600 and CBR 600RR bikes and they felt very comfortable and I had both foots on the ground. I am 6ft and 160lb guy.

My question is how difficult and dangerous is it to start on 600cc bike? I got a son that I have to think about and don't want to do anything stupid that may get me in trouble. How is the throttle control on it, is it very sensitive? I've been told that those bikes barely have any power until 6000 - 8000 RPM, but then it becomes a whole different bike.

So if I get a GSX-R 600 or CBR 600RR and start slow on the parking lot for a while wearing full gear is it doable or should I still get 250cc fist and then sell it later on to move up to a 600. The problem is I never rode 600cc bike and have no idea how it feels.

I will appreciate any feedback from anyone on here but would like to hear from riders who actually started on 600cc bikes.

Thanks for your time guys,
-Vitek

·
Registered
201 Posts
I rode a 250 dirt bike for a year before getting the 600. There is a big difference in weight and power that you have to get used to, but its not hard. The most important thing is to respect the bike and not try to push yourself to keep up with your buddy's. Its better to be the last one in the group then to be dead on the road. Just be humble and do not let others make you push your limits. When I first got my bike I had a few close calls because of inexperience, especially once at the mountains because I was trying to keep up. After that one close call I slowed down and cruised the rest of the twisties, because I was not ready for them. When you're driving out there in the road drive like you're invisible, it will help to keep you out of danger.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree with Empatho, at the end of the day any bike is dangerous, but what makes it lethal is the guy on the back of it twisting the throttle, respect her and be gentle and you'll soon be having fun. Sports bikes are designed to be stable, if the front end lifts you are doing something wrong. But if you don't feel confident go out and get a 250 although don't let yourself develop bad habits that you'll carry over to the 600 because you'll be able to get away with it on 250 but not on the 600!! Hope this helps. But don't let people tell you, you have to do this, you have to do that, you can't do this. If you feel confident and happy getting a 600, crack on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have never ridden a bike before and i bought a 600 because i got a smokin deal on it. i am looking for a 250 to learn on right now because i attempted to learn on the 600 and that was just plain dumb because i ended up dumping it over at 3-4 mph. these bikes are no joke and you have to respect them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There's plenty of options that make great starter bikes and will still keep up with your friends on the road. The ninja 250 is great around town and in curves, but try to take it on the highway and it doesn't have the displacement.

Look at the Suzuki GS500, Katana 600, and SV650, Kawasaki Ninja 500 and 650, Honda Nighthawk, Yamaha Seca and YZF600r, etc. Buy used and unless you total it then it'll hold its value.

I started a coworker on an 05 YZF600r. It looks like any other sportbike going down the road, but has more relaxed ergonomics, brakes and throttle are smooth and not hypersensitive, and it's down about 15hp compared to a 600 supersport. It's a great bike to develop fundamental riding skills, he can still keep up with other sportbikes no problem, and honestly it's a LOT more comfortable. He's had it a year and still loves it.

You can learn to ride by starting on a 600 supersport, but few people learn to ride well. It's a steep learning curve with very little room for error. Just because someone survived a summer on a gsxr as their first bike doesn't mean they can really ride the thing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I started off on a 2001 GSXR 750. I just respected it and rode how I felt comfortable. Don't push yourself.

EDIT: These bikes have power from 1000 to 16000 RPM. Don't let anyone tell you there is no power below 6000.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Put it this way, I started on a Honda CB65o custom. She was an old girl with about as much torque as a pram, however, when I bought my SRAD I was just as scared as if it had been my first bike. Sometimes starting small can mess things up, i.e. over-confidence and complacency when stepping up to a sports.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
like the other guys said any bike will be dangerous, but starting off on a 600cc depends on what kind of mentalitly the rider has. for example if you are a calm and patient person u should be ok. but if you are not patient at all and just want to go fast and do everything at once i'd stick to a 250 or not be on a bike at all. my buddy jusy bought a bike yesterday and the way he drives a car i could tell he'll drive the bike horribly and lay it down a couple of times, he got an 02 r6 but my opinion is he should of gotten a mini bike just because of the way i've seen him drive a car. so it all depends on the person if u feel u will be safe on a 600 and u feel u can take it eay for a while i'd say go for it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Put it this way, I started on a Honda CB65o custom. She was an old girl with about as much torque as a pram, however, when I bought my SRAD I was just as scared as if it had been my first bike. Sometimes starting small can mess things up, i.e. over-confidence and complacency when stepping up to a sports.
The difference is you developed muscle memory and subconscious awareness on the CB650 so you were better prepared to handle emergency situations on the GSXR. That only comes with experience. You're less likely to make abrupt steering/throttle inputs, target fixate, etc compared to a new rider. It's good that you got that experience on a forgiving bike so you're not on here asking about replacement fairings like so many of the new riders are.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
The difference is you developed muscle memory and subconscious awareness on the CB650 so you were better prepared to handle emergency situations on the GSXR. That only comes with experience. You're less likely to make abrupt steering/throttle inputs, target fixate, etc compared to a new rider. It's good that you got that experience on a forgiving bike so you're not on here asking about replacement fairings like so many of the new riders are.
+1...very well put

not all new riders have the talent, but some do...a powerful bike is much less forgiving and you will pay a heavy price if the "nasty" happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1...very well put

not all new riders have the talent, but some do...a powerful bike is much less forgiving and you will pay a heavy price if the "nasty" happens.
I am not one to talk, my first bike was a and is my GSXR-750. I like you have a wife and 2 kids to think about and being in my 30's also helps be control the urges to open the bitch up.

also, like you, i didnt want to buy a bike only to want something more in a few months to a year so i went straight for what i thought i wanted...IMHO i made a good choice and could not be happier. It took some time to get used to the power and handling and while i can control the power i still can not ride it like it could be ridden. But, everyone is different and my advise is to know yourself and your limitations...

read all the posts and draw your own conclusions all the shit about your first bike should be a 250 are correct for 90%+ of the people out there. My wife wants a bike now too, guess what.... she will get a 250 or something small b/c i dont trust her ability to ride and the last thing she needs is a lot of power. an accidental goose of the throttle can mean a trip to the hospital but a 250 throttle is more forgiving then a 750. that was my only fear on the 750 that i'd panic and roll the throttle while i was trying to use the front break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, like two other guys on here, started on a 750. Mine is an 01 and I'm still riding it to this day. I finished the MSF course, bought the bike two weeks later for a good price from a friend, and started slow. I didn't hop on the highway right away, just stook to the streets I new weren't going to be that busy. Now, two years later, my bike still provides me with more than enough power for how I ride. I recommend getting an older 2000ish bike for your first one, get it for cheap. If it's not cosmetically amazing, oh well. If you dump it at slow speeds (or in the grass because you are putting on lowering links and didn't know what the hell you were doing, like me) then you won't feel so bad. Don't let the size scare you, just take your time learning and be smart about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I guess what I gathered from reading all the reply's is that as long as you are careful and take your time on 600c bike you should be fine. Correct?

I got one more off topic question. How much are you guys paying for a full coverage insurance for 600cc SS bike?

Thanks,
-Vitek

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just buy the bike you want and have fun, ride safe and always wear your gear!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
So, I guess what I gathered from reading all the reply's is that as long as you are careful and take your time on 600c bike you should be fine. Correct?

I got one more off topic question. How much are you guys paying for a full coverage insurance for 600cc SS bike?

Thanks,
-Vitek
You came on here looking for a specific answer and picked through the responses to justify your decision. Why bother asking at all?

·
Registered
90 Posts
VITEK my first bike was a 1200 and as long as you know your limits and respect the power you should be fine. So just get the 600 and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's all about the rider! I started on my 750 when I was 17 and have had nothing but a great time on her. Respect the bike and know your limits! I also pay around $600 a year for insurance. Good luck to ya

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a 600 SRAD myself. It is about the rider. If i had this thing 10 years ago, i would have probably killed myself fairly quickly on it. Just gotta know your limitations. It scares the hell out of my if i lean a little to far into corners, so i don't do it. My bike has power below 6000 rpm, but once it gets over that, it definately is a whole new animal. Get your bike and start riding. The more comfortable you get on it, the better it will be. And i pay about $31 a month for full coverage thru progressive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is no clear cut answer at all. For safetly on a purely statistical basis, go smaller than 600. If you are the type of person that just happens to get into accidents (car, tripping, falling, or something random), definitely smaller. My MSF instructor told me that one. But if you are the type of person that is more "coordinated" and aware of his surroundings then 600 might be the way to go.

Also, if you fear it, it will put you down. Fear will only cause you to worry about too much and cause less concentration on what you are suppose to be paying attention too.

Be aware of what any bike is capable of and plan ahead of time. Buy good gear. Ride on. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.