Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I am by far not a new rider, 55, quite a few drag race runs back in the 90's, Road raced from '96 (one race) to 2001, Local, WERA and AMA at Mid-Ohio. I currently have a 2005 Honda Goldwing that I bought new which is my normal rider, and sold my 1996 GSXR 750 in 2002 (kind of regret doing that) but now something bad and good just happened.

May 3rd my 53 year old younger brother passed away and left me a few bikes, 3, 2005 GSXR 750s. One is yellow and black, one blue and white, and one 20th anniversary. The blue and white is kind of beat up as a normal older bike, runs OK (had replace the exhaust, he cut it) The yellow and black is all stock with a Yosh slip on.... and last one.... the one I like the best.... the 20th anniversary... ridden hard and put away wet, beat up and neglected.
He got both blue ones in Oct 2016, and I'm not sure why, or what happened, but the 20th had nasty fuel in the tank and it's all varnish and very bad rust, I really can't believe my brother left it like this, but he did lose track of time. The engine is leaking some oil around the oil pan, maybe more places, the black coating is peeling off the clutch and other side covers... it's sad. both rims are bent.... anyhow, the K5X is in need of some repairs and it's going to get some love now and stay in the family. I will be needing some help so I decided to sign up on here with you guys and girls (I have a few Jeep girls that know more than most men, so I never exclude the ladies)
I just saw that Will Babb is gone (he fixed wheels for me before) so I can't send him my wheels, The tank I am going to try and save with Kreem, I sure am going to do my best to save the paint that is still good, already got another fuel pump.
Now I have no idea if the fuel injectors are any good, after removing the what might be the original air filter,looking down into the valves it looks bad, but not sure if it will need a valve job or not. I did crank the engine a few times before I pried open the rusted fuel cap and looked inside... all the other bikes started right up after installing batteries.

I will be chatting with a few of you soon about some advice and where to get things. I can do all the work, I had my 96 750, and 97 600 apart a couple times.
Talk you soon about fixing and tuning.
Tony

·
SuperMod of the North
26,170 Posts
Welcome. Sorry about the loss of your brother. Post up some pics of the bikes for us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are the bikes, I replaced the exhaust on the regular K5 blue and white because it was cut. My brother bought it like that and got a ticket for it once too. That bike is going to my nephew, my brother and I have no kids of our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,005 Posts
Welcome. Cool bikes!

Reactions: Spend2much

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,775 Posts
Welcome to the site. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome! Nice first post too!
Sorry to hear your brother passed- RIP.

This is a great site, for lots of things. It's a little less traveled for some reason, but still a great site with lots of bright people.

Bikes look good! I'm assuming those Red wheels were aftermarket powder coating, or came OEM that way?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are bent, and yes they have been painted. I want to send them out for repair, and not sure about keeping them that color or not.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
How bad are they? My current bike- I am the 2nd owner, (well 3rd, with the 'flipper' had it about 2 weeks) has a bent rear. It balance OK, etc.

I hear some times you can get some straight/good ones off Ebay too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front is pretty bad, both sides dented in, you would feel it at higher speeds for sure. The rear has maybe 1/2” to 3/4” dent one side, I doubt you feel that, maybe only under very hard track cornering, but if I know it’s there, it will drive me nuts . And eBay is hit or miss.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Your brother had great taste in bikes. I personally think those were the best looking gsxr's except for the 2018. There's a reason he bought 3 of the same style. If I had the space in my garage I would've done the same.

While you're in the tank make sure you clean the main filter housing. For some reason it's not a maintenance item for Suzuki.

I actually love the red rims. Nice touch. I was actually thinking of anodizing mines to gold.

Rip to your bro. He had great taste.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I took the tank off the other blue bike and got the 20th running today. It’s very loud! Changed the plugs, blew out the cylinders, new oil and air filter. Too bad I can’t legally ride it just yet... it’s taking forever for the courts, probably late August.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello all!
I am by far not a new rider, 55, quite a few drag race runs back in the 90's, Road raced from '96 (one race) to 2001, Local, WERA and AMA at Mid-Ohio. I currently have a 2005 Honda Goldwing that I bought new which is my normal rider, and sold my 1996 GSXR 750 in 2002 (kind of regret doing that) but now something bad and good just happened.

May 3rd my 53 year old younger brother passed away and left me a few bikes, 3, 2005 GSXR 750s. One is yellow and black, one blue and white, and one 20th anniversary. The blue and white is kind of beat up as a normal older bike, runs OK (had replace the exhaust, he cut it) The yellow and black is all stock with a Yosh slip on.... and last one.... the one I like the best.... the 20th anniversary... ridden hard and put away wet, beat up and neglected.
He got both blue ones in Oct 2016, and I'm not sure why, or what happened, but the 20th had nasty fuel in the tank and it's all varnish and very bad rust, I really can't believe my brother left it like this, but he did lose track of time. The engine is leaking some oil around the oil pan, maybe more places, the black coating is peeling off the clutch and other side covers... it's sad. both rims are bent.... anyhow, the K5X is in need of some repairs and it's going to get some love now and stay in the family. I will be needing some help so I decided to sign up on here with you guys and girls (I have a few Jeep girls that know more than most men, so I never exclude the ladies)
I just saw that Will Babb is gone (he fixed wheels for me before) so I can't send him my wheels, The tank I am going to try and save with Kreem, I sure am going to do my best to save the paint that is still good, already got another fuel pump.
Now I have no idea if the fuel injectors are any good, after removing the what might be the original air filter,looking down into the valves it looks bad, but not sure if it will need a valve job or not. I did crank the engine a few times before I pried open the rusted fuel cap and looked inside... all the other bikes started right up after installing batteries.

I will be chatting with a few of you soon about some advice and where to get things. I can do all the work, I had my 96 750, and 97 600 apart a couple times.
Tony
Hello all!

Tony
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, may he rest in peace. Welcome to this forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Do you happen to have the rear seat cowell for the yellow bike? If not, I have one for you.
20200806_185939.jpg

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The rotors on the anniversary edition are directional, and yours are on backwards.
Thanks for pointing that out. The front wheel is bent really bad too, the poor bike has been beat and neglected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts