Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!! I live in Tennessee and am in the market of buying a bike in the next couple of months. I have never owned a street bike, I really like the GSXR 750 and even the thousands but am a little hesitant on the 1000 because lots of people say to start small some say a 750 is still too much. What would you recommend for a 22 year old 5'10" 155 lbs to start with. I do not want to buy the 600 or 750 and a year later wish I had a 1000 but also I do not want to die. BTW I race rally sport so I def love speed and a good adrenaline rush. what should I do!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i think until you get used to a street bike you should start out small with a 600 one other thing your age/height/weight has nothing to do with anything its expirance on the bikes which not to sound rude or anything but you have none there is alot of power with street bikes i have a 600 and that is fast enough for me at least for now the fastest i have had it to is 155 you decide but like i said until you are used to it go with something smaller

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, a 600 will be plenty. They are still extremely fast, especially for a first bike. I have a 750 and am getting a K5, there is no way I would want to start on the 750. The power comes on fast and hard, it can bite you.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I would suggest starting on a 600 or something even smaller than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I guess since everyone recomended at most the 600 I will have no choice but to be smart and listen haha even tho the bigger bikes sound much more fun but I guess its better to go to small and loose a bit of money by upgrading later then too big and get hurt or even killed. thanks and peace :funny:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Welcome to the site. Get a 600 and learn that. 600's are still killer fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i l tell ya my exp.. listened to everybody else i got a katana 600 cause peops said get a 600 but not a super sport.. well got tired of that after 2 months.. listened to peops again and got a cbr 600 f4i ,, they said dont get a 750... well that lasted a yr. so my advice to you would be if you know how to ride a bike and confident that u can handle a bike then just go for the 1000.if u can handle a 600 then get the 1000... you ll save money in the long run. and just ease into being aggressive. remember you control the bike the bike dont control u no matter how many the ccs :infrandom

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ride an 04 750 and its my first bike I had it since July 04, I am 6'2 about 240 and I think I made a good choice people told me get a 600 but it was my money and some of those people thought they knew best for me and didnt even know me. The 750 can be an intimidating bike, its a great starter bike in my opinion and suzukis I think are the better way to go because you get the dampenig bar and alot of the other suspension things that you dont with the other bikes so it take a lot of vibration out of the ride saving your hands from fatigue. A good rule to live by is fear and respect the bike, once you stop either of those its time to move up or stop riding because thats when your going to hurt yourself or die. I think with the 750 it will put plenty of fear in you for a long while. If this is your first bike yu have a lot to overcome, whether your on a 500, 600, or 1300rr hitting a 100mph for the first time on your bike you will almost shit yourself so dont worry about it it will alll come with time and you need to decide what bike best fits you, cuz your the one who will be riding it. I know its a big decision and alot of money so buy what you think is best for you and dont be afraid to buy something cuz of other peoples opinion. You can die just as easliy on a 125 dirtbike then being on a busa its all about safety and experience and you can get that on a 600 750 or 1000 Good luck and get used to wearing a lid its the small rides that kill people the most :cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome.

You should go with what you feel is right for you. If you have never ridden motorcycles at all then start with a cheap used 600. Find some people who ride the twisties and go learn to ride the curves. Do what you want but be smart. It sounds like you are thinking things out. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks

Thanks Guys, I just really want a bike that will have enough power for years to come but at the same time I dont feel like hurting my self or killing myself. Your input is greatly appreciated thanks again

·
Registered
284 Posts
richjixer said:
i think until you get used to a street bike you should start out small with a 600 one other thing your age/height/weight has nothing to do with anything its expirance on the bikes which not to sound rude or anything but you have none there is alot of power with street bikes i have a 600 and that is fast enough for me at least for now the fastest i have had it to is 155 you decide but like i said until you are used to it go with something smaller

+1 :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.