Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here! Waving from Oklahoma!!! Sure hope y'all are cool with me posting here! Would appreciate any and all opinions and options!

I race micro sprints - killed my first engine this past weekend 馃槩馃槶....

Looking to rebuild or replace...

Would like advice for possible internal up grades/updates and rebuild!

Would also like to know the options available when it comes to installing aftermarket ( mechanical ) oil pressure gauges...... Can a mechanical gauge be directly installed like on a regular car/truck engine?

I have had several GsXr 600 bikes - by far my favorite (other then the legendary - Honda magna 馃槇馃懣)
The GsXR engines are favored in the micro world - especially 06 to 07..... 06 07 are known for long life - more horse power and overall better dependability....
Mine has a carb conversion - on methanol - tuned and redline pushed to 14k ( 12 to 13 is the target numbers )

Our cars also have a different style oil pan - our pans are flat bottom and the Drain plug is actually up at a angle - I'm hopeful this may have saved some of my motor but I'm betting not.....
My engine dropped the drain plug - ran about 6 laps before locking up...... There was still some oil in the engine - had about a qrt on the trailer floor when I got it home .....

Iv heard some parts are crazy in price right now (crank 500) - been told I'm best off just replacing it with a good donner... I would like y'all's thoughts.....

Thanks guy!

If anyone wants to see a video of a gsxr slowly dying I have it 馃槀

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you could tap into, or T off of, the same oil pressure port as the oil pressure switch.

As far as the decision to repair or replace, you really need to begin opening up the engine to see if, or to what extent, it is damaged. The fact that some oil continued to drain out and that you did not mention it seized up are both positive signs.

I'd begin by pulling the pan and looking for bits in the oil pump suction screen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you could tap into, or T off of, the same oil pressure port as the oil pressure switch.

As far as the decision to repair or replace, you really need to begin opening up the engine to see if, or to what extent, it is damaged. The fact that some oil continued to drain out and that you did not mention it seized up are both positive signs.

I'd begin by pulling the pan and looking for bits in the oil pump suction screen.
Thank you for your reply..... The motor did lock up - sorry I wasn't very clear on that.... I'm gonna start taking it down tonight when I get home from work! I'll get pics and post....
Thanks again!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a video of the race - we had a setup issue that caused the rear tires to blow off coming on to the straight away.....
Watch for the 2 caution - ( 4 car spins out )...... 2nd lap under caution - right as the track official put down the cone - as I go past done the plug falls out.....

Administrator

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't think it's worth rebuilding?! So far it seems alot less worse then I had thought..... Too ends good - cylinders are good..... Crank - bearing - rods and Pistons...... I mean I've absolutely love to find an 06 07 GSXR 600 - but right now every one of them I'm finding is $1,500 to $2,000..... Is it not possible to rebuild for less than that? Properly

Administrator
I'm assuming there is some block and cylinder damage from the parts flying around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts