Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

New member coming in with a K4 600 track bike. Just got it 2 days ago as she sits here. Not a fan of the color combo so I'll be sitting that out soon…

This is actually my first 4 cyl bike as my first two bikes were both Daytona 675s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,714 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike.

Reactions: wpanik

·
Super Moderator
8,714 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,714 Posts
There are a number of us planning on VIR North April 1st and possibly CMP the week after.

Check out Asheville Sport Riders group on FB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll keep posting on here to track my progress and give the story of the bike.

I bought the bike in Raleigh, NC, on 2/23/19 in some truly nasty weather. It's a 2004 which was written of in 2004 and has been a track bike since. I had to drive through rain the entire 8 hour round trip. Took a brief test ride in the rain, during which the 12 year old rear tire proved it had basically no traction... The bike ran well though and I couldn't find anything that seemed really wrong with it for the price so I took it.

(Bike at seller's house)

The seller only had it a couple of months before deciding he wasn't going to have time to do many (if any) track days this year and decided to just go ahead and pass the bike along. He actually found me asking about another bike in a forum, and a week later I was at his house. Included with the sale was race body work, Vortex clip ons, Vortex rear sets, Vortex sprockets, 520 chain (which needs replacing), aftermarket mystery headers and mid-pipe with a Hindle slip on, spare tank, new in box keyless ignition, new in box Motion Pro throttle cables, new in box iridium plugs, extra fuel tank, front and rear stands, and then forks, an Ohlins steering damper, and a Penske rear shock which were all serviced in November.

(Headed home)

The next day I started peeling off body work to see what I had gotten into and uncovered the best of surprises: it looks pretty dang solid!

(Naked in the driveway)

All of the electrics had actually been well taken care of during conversion and everything was neatly stored.

I decided to go over a bunch of preventative maintenance stuff just so I knew where I was starting. I don't have a great place to work so it got moved to a top secret garage I'm bumming in for a bit.

(Temporary new home)

The first thing I did was peel off the tank and airbox to see what all was going on. The air filter was a little dirty, but the secondary butterfly valves were still on the bike and appeared to function properly.

(Keen observers will notice this is still at my house…but whatever)

From there, I decided to start with a small victory and install the included keyless ignition. Unfortunately, it was for a K5 which I didn't notice until the kill switch plugs didn't fit… (Let me know if you have one for a K4 that you'd like to trade!!)

(Dang it)

So after that, I took out the plugs and removed the valve cover. The plugs actually looked really good, but I'll replace them with the included iridium ones anyway. Everything looked good under the valve cover and all of the valves were solidly within their correct tolerances.

Up next (week) will be a compression test and installing the new plugs. A decent parts order should also come in next week which will lead to more stories to tell.

If you made it this far, thanks! I'll try to do an update every day I work on it from here on out so posts should be a little more reasonable in length!

·
Super Moderator
8,714 Posts
Nice update. I'm sure you will get there, but a coolant check and flush should be included. Many track bikes have been left with just water in them and it shows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice update. I'm sure you will get there, but a coolant check and flush should be included. Many track bikes have been left with just water in them and it shows.

It's on the list, but thanks! I'll take any and all recommendations just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Welcome to tha R

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tuesday, 3/5/19

Well I have to be honest, I did work on the bike last night, but I left pretty defeated so I didn't post.

The first plan for last night was to do a quick compression check. I rented a tester from a local auto parts store and bought a 10mm adapter to fit the bike's tiny spark plugs. The compression looked a little low (although above the stated minimum) but I believe that was due to the engine being cold. More importantly, compression was dead on equal between all 4 cylinders. Great!

(Rented gauge worked great!)

After that, in went the new iridium plugs. The old plugs actually looked pretty darn good, but I figured I might as well since I had them!

(Comparo)

Got everything back together aaannnddd…it ran like garbage. Rough idle, super rich, fireballs, stalling, etc. I tried switching back to the old plugs but that did nothing. That was when I called it quits for the night.

https://youtu.be/-HV4un1AegQ
(Video)

Cut to today. I tried to research the problem but couldn't really find anything. I thought it could have been a misfire caused by the ignition coils so I tested their resistance during lunch. Fortunately they all tested good, but that meant I was no closer to a solution. After work, I tried running it without the airbox so I could watch the secondary butterfly valves. Surprisingly…the bike ran perfectly. That seemed weird so I went ahead and put the airbox back on…and it ran like crap again. So now it's a process of elimination. I took out the filter and had the same problem. After that I decided to unplug the two sensors since they were the only things left. That fixed it! So now I had to figure out what the issue with the sensors was.

Fortunately I realized pretty quickly that the issue was with the sensor on the front of the airbox. Of all the many things that have to be connected for the bike to work, it was this tiny little hose that did it…

(Of all the things…)

With that, the bike is back to running perfectly! Next work day is an oil change and new brake fluid!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts