Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice regarding a Second gen 1989 GSX R1 100 I am thinking about buying. It's a barn find that's been sitting for 15 years give or take. Mechanically speaking, the bike looks pretty good actually and only has 14,000 miles and the carburetors are somehow in mint condition. Cosmetically its a total loss. All body panels including the front fairing are gone, seat is missing, wiring harness is a mess. The main thing I am worried about though is not being able to find aftermarket parts. I only did a quick google search but couldnt find any body panels for sale. Can anyone provide some info regarding part availability for older model GSX r's? Is there a good size aftermarket? will I have trouble finding body panels?

Also, what do you guys think about the 89' GSX r1100? Does it have a good reputation? Fun bike? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks. Lovely community you guys have here by the way, looking forward to being apart of it hopefully.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
Nice find. Do you have any pics? I am in the process of building the same bike, it was a find that was carried into the garage in several boxes. The build thread as it stands so far is here. I am also new to the old bikes so can only share what I learned going over my particular bike's condition.

I always wanted one and they are very hard to find because they had the 1157 engine in them that was bulletproof. Many were scooped up for drag bikes because the meaty block could be bored out and would still hold up when boosted...it has been said that as long as there is oil in them you can't hurt them. As for parts you can still find some new parts like bearings etc. but I think most farings are going to be used. That being said, my farings are in decent shape so I didn't need to search them. God help you if you want an OEM steering damper...I found one in the UK for $1100.00 and that was quickly a hard no. Welcome Sir.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You will NOT find aftermarket body parts for that bike. Not going to happen. Ebay is your ONLY option. I searched for over a year to find ANYTHING for mine ('95 GSXR750W), there is nothing. Ebay has many used skins for mine, I would assume you could find them for yours as well. Good luck, and PLEASE start a build thread on it. Not enough vintage bikes here.

I think most are afraid of them because they are carbureted. Don't let that scare you. Take them off, completely strip them apart, get new o-rings, and a jet kit from 6 Sigma, follow their instructions for reassembly. Really not too bad. These old girls can be VERY fast, and fun bikes. My 750 keeps up with brand new 1000's without even sweating it, lol.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
Yup. Mine was very similar just maybe a little more complete. How much are they asking if you don't mind? And what state (geographic region) is it in for reference on market value.

Off the top there is a parts list there, clutch master cylinder and ignition are missing. Aftermarket engine covers make me wonder if the orignials were damaged in a drop. Not to be a dick but any bike with the ignition missing should be checked it's not stolen as well. On the bright side it looks (but is hard to tell) like someone has already done the 5.5" wheel swap so you can run a 180 tire...they came factory with 4.5" & 160 I think. IMOiIt wshould clean up and if you are willing to do the scavenger hunt for parts it might be a good start. You can always use the rust an lack of storage care as a bargaining tool to negotiate a lower price.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I didn't look at your bike, but for body work, Try NT Fairings- Chinese off Ebay.
I got and installed a OEM looking set fore a K6 GSXR1000 on my K5 1000,
then sold the bike.- They were nice, cheap, and shipped fast too!
See if they have anything for your bike.
Go to Ebay and search NT fairings.
I did a write up thread about them on here too.
I can't do the fancy link to the thread like John can though.

Good luck if you decide to get it.'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. Mine was very similar just maybe a little more complete. How much are they asking if you don't mind? And what state (geographic region) is it in for reference on market value.

Off the top there is a parts list there, clutch master cylinder and ignition are missing. Aftermarket engine covers make me wonder if the orignials were damaged in a drop. Not to be a dick but any bike with the ignition missing should be checked it's not stolen as well. On the bright side it looks (but is hard to tell) like someone has already done the 5.5" wheel swap so you can run a 180 tire...they came factory with 4.5" & 160 I think. IMOiIt wshould clean up and if you are willing to do the scavenger hunt for parts it might be a good start. You can always use the rust an lack of storage care as a bargaining tool to negotiate a lower price.
He’s asking 1200. Detroit area Michigan. I can’t justify spending more than 500 on a project bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Why is the swing arm rigged? Wheelie bar and extended?
id walk from this bike bro. Outside in that climate and all those parts missing and it being raced to death possibly

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
Oh, didn't see the swing arm growth there, Yeah, that might be a topic of discussion. Missing ignition and altered swing arm might be an old drag bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for pointing out the swing arm anomaly and that a missing ignition probably isn’t a good sign.. this bike probably isn’t worth the trouble.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That bike is NOT worth $1200 on ANY continent. I would be willing to pay $500 if the engine turns. I would just leave that one sit where it is, and keep looking. There are more classics out there in MUCH better condition.

I don't know what part of the world you're in, but here is a fine example...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an `89 1100 I bought new from the stealership and it was my first track and racebike (what a mistake to start racing on this beast) It was an excellent streetbike and wicked fast too. After some upgrades, it was worthy on the track, 5.5" real wheel, Fox shock, Had the frontend revalved personally by Chuck Graves, (he lived down the street, and we had mutual friends) and AirTech Streamlining bodywork. Yosh pipe, jetting...
The one you are interested in looks pretty shot. Maybe if you can get it for less. Air Tech Streamlining still makes lots of bodywork for that bike. Check them out. The owner Kent Riches is a super guy as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for some advice regarding a Second gen 1989 GSX R1 100 I am thinking about buying. It's a barn find that's been sitting for 15 years give or take. Mechanically speaking, the bike looks pretty good actually and only has 14,000 miles and the carburetors are somehow in mint condition. Cosmetically its a total loss. All body panels including the front fairing are gone, seat is missing, wiring harness is a mess. The main thing I am worried about though is not being able to find aftermarket parts. I only did a quick google search but couldnt find any body panels for sale. Can anyone provide some info regarding part availability for older model GSX r's? Is there a good size aftermarket? will I have trouble finding body panels?

Also, what do you guys think about the 89' GSX r1100? Does it have a good reputation? Fun bike? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks. Lovely community you guys have here by the way, looking forward to being apart of it hopefully.
I have found alot of my older stuff at A & J Cycle salvage out of Philadelphia his info is
tel: 610 521-6700
www.ajcyclesalvage.com
Airport Bussiness complex
10 Industrial Highway
Philadelphia, pa. 19113

1 - 14 of 14 Posts