Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve only rode 700R quads on the rode and never been on two wheels. Any tips on practicing deep leaning turns and take offs at lights? Ive noticed that I was afraid to lean it and a sharp turn could take me into the grass ... or WORSE.
Also, my wife was cool with it when I was getting it, but I guess having it in the garage freaks her out. Any advice of getting your spouse to ease up after getting one? She’s kinda killing the vibe worrying so much.

Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As a new motorcyclist, the first thing I would recommend is to do the MSF course.

Also get yourself good quality gear and wear all of it every single time you ride.

Start off in somewhere like a big parking lot and learn the feel of the clutch. Don’t bother trying to ride fast in a straight line. That’s the easy part. Concentrate on riding slowly around the parking lot in second or third gear. First gear is more twitchy on the throttle. The bike goes where you look. Take nice smooth wide turns. There is no need at this stage to try and drag knees! Take your time. If you have experience motorcyclist friends who are not show offs, ask them to help you out.

Your bike is gorgeous by the way.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Welcome.

The best thing you can do is take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginners course.

I'm guessing you are around Greenville, SC from you handle and I just met the guy that does the course in that area a couple of weeks ago. He has a range in Spartanburg and Greenville.

Besides helping you get your motorcycle endorsement, tell your wife you are taking a safety course and that should go a ways to calm her down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im from Spartanburg but I live in Charlotte,NC. She has already said a course is mandatory but her coming too would actually be a great gesture. Or at least asking her if she wants to come. Thanks Ozsy! I have a two big huge parking lots by me and a school now that summer is here. Im definitely going to do that for a while. The knee dragging is kinda sketchy for me coming from quads. 1st gear is definitely my problem. I have neighbors with bikes. Im just waiting for one that im close w to be home. He drives trucks for a living and is away a lot.
Will the motorcycle course also get you a motorcycle licenses endorsement for completing the course or is it still required afterwards. I still dont have my permit or anything bc covid has the dmv appointments out until June.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Im from Spartanburg but I live in Charlotte,NC. She has already said a course is mandatory but her coming too would actually be a great gesture. Or at least asking her if she wants to come. Thanks Ozsy! I have a two big huge parking lots by me and a school now that summer is here. Im definitely going to do that for a while. The knee dragging is kinda sketchy for me coming from quads. 1st gear is definitely my problem. I have neighbors with bikes. Im just waiting for one that im close w to be home. He drives trucks for a living and is away a lot.
Will the motorcycle course also get you a motorcycle licenses endorsement for completing the course or is it still required afterwards. I still dont have my permit or anything bc covid has the dmv appointments out until June.
Cool. If you want to get a learners permit you need to schedule an appointment at the DMV, take a written test and pay them something. Do study the DMV motorcycle handbook. It is not a hard test but there are some details that you probably will not know off hand.

Take the MSF course in the state your drivers license is. Once done, you can go to the DMV and they will give you you motorcycle endorsement.

You can skip the learners permit if you like. Just take the MSF course, go to the DMV and take the written and walk out with your endorsement.

Asking the wife to join is a good plan.

Reactions: SCusa864

·
Mod of the North
28,848 Posts
Good advise from experienced riders above. Yeah a course is the way to go. It litterally saved my life on the highway a week after I took it. Invest in gear, my motto is “I’d rather sweat than bleed”. Being responsible about the course and the gear should help the little lady relax a bit.

Oz is right, beautiful machine Sir.

Oh, a bonus for the course (up here anyway) is you use their bikes. Little 250’s. That you can cruise through the cones with ease. You will have a tough time getting through a tight cone course on that bike.

Reactions: SCusa864

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
MSF basic courses in NC and SC provide the bikes also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A few things to get everybody on board would be to make it a priority to get your endorsement as soon as possible, when you are close to home take it easy (nothing more unnerving for the fam than to hear you tearing it up), wear your gear mainly your helmet always (she will see you are taking safety seriously), etc. Other than those things and the obvious its just gonna take time I won't say try not to wreck but try not to wreck. Keep it under 100 and take small steps buddy it will all come around. Most important is have fun otherwise all the bitching and worry will be for not so you owe that to yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Good advice already stated. I’d like to add this in case it hasn’t been said.

Be careful when you’re riding with a group that you don’t get too excited/confident and try to keep up with others by riding above your skill level. Take it from me; I have done it and wound up in the woods....

One can safely navigate this process starting on a sportbike...you just need to have a lot of respect for that gorgeous machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Good advice already stated. I’d like to add this in case it hasn’t been said.

Be careful when you’re riding with a group that you don’t get too excited/confident and try to keep up with others by riding above your skill level. Take it from me; I have done it and wound up in the woods....

One can safely navigate this process starting on a sportbike...you just need to have a lot of respect for that gorgeous machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has become my best advice to new riders. Don't get sucked in.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Sorry to be a downer here, but....

Hello? This is NOT a beginner motorcycle!!!

I think it says 600? Still NOT a beginner motorcycle.

Was it a females? Hence the purple?

I know you've ridden quads. You're going to hurt yourself. Find a smaller bike to ride and learn on, then go back to your purple tinged one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Todd, the bike belonged to a guy prior to me getting it. I like the colors so I left them alone. Plus Im red/green color blind so it probably looks different to others. I had a ninja over 10 years ago and didnt want to go under a 600. Then id just be wasting time trying to sell it later this year to get what I have or a 750. I think Ill be fine on it. I just need to take the advice given and Im definitely going to do the MSF course. The only issue I see w them is theyre pushed pretty far out until July, August, or even further in some cases.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

^^^^^^^ this is what I found myself riding on the road most of the time. Or the older one that I had. Maybe a Dirtbike here or there too but I hadnt been on a motorcycle since 2011 until lately. Im not trying to stall in first w a car headed my way at a stop sign so Im just gonna take it easy. And get use to the bike.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Im definitely going to do the MSF course. The only issue I see w them is theyre pushed pretty far out until July, August, or even further in some cases.
This is the same situation in western NC. I heard that some Harley dealers do their own MSF courses so you might want to call a local dealer.

Meanwhile, you might schedule an appointment with the DMV and get your learners permit.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
No Todd, the bike belonged to a guy prior to me getting it. I like the colors so I left them alone. Plus Im red/green color blind so it probably looks different to others. I had a ninja over 10 years ago and didnt want to go under a 600. Then id just be wasting time trying to sell it later this year to get what I have or a 750. I think Ill be fine on it. I just need to take the advice given and Im definitely going to do the MSF course. The only issue I see w them is theyre pushed pretty far out until July, August, or even further in some cases.

View attachment 295869

^^^^^^^ this is what I found myself riding on the road most of the time. Or the older one that I had. Maybe a Dirtbike here or there too but I hadnt been on a motorcycle since 2011 until lately. Im not trying to stall in first w a car headed my way at a stop sign so Im just gonna take it easy. And get use to the bike.
Sorry, my post sounded almost rude.
We're just concerned about any new-er rider. You sound like you have it under control.
Wear gear too- no shorts/T-shirts. T-shirt under a mesh riding jacket in the heat is the way to go LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts