Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at buying my first bike (looking at a 2008 gsxr 600--please dont bash for my choice of first bike--i wanted to buy this girl's ninja 250 but she wont sell it to me cause she said it is too small for me--i'm 6'0 and 265lbs) but anyway i am looking for input on the msf learn to ride program. anyone have experience with this program and is it highly recommended? i want to be safe and have fun...not kiss my a$$ goodbye.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
MSF is a great expereince. Every rider should take it. Don't worry about your choice of bike. My very first bike was a 2001 GSXR 750 so I didn't start small either. But I'm also 19 and weigh around 140.

Go ahead and take the MSF course as soon as you can.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live in NY as well and took booth the BRC and ERC MSF course. It's the best investment you can do for your motorcycling experience. I highly recommended. It will teach you the correct way to ride in a controlled environment. Don't think twice sign up right away.

As far the the choice of bike, I also started with a 750. As long as you are discipline, respect the bike, and take your time learning (DO NOT RUSH IT) you'll be fine. If you don't, it will let you know fast.These machines are not toys.

With that said, bet of luck, ride safe, and WELCOME!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Oh yeah, Welcome to the party.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome! Inquire about the msf classes soon! If NY is anything like CT then all the spots in the msf are already taken up, you may havta get in by standby. And be very careful on a bike like a gsx-r...it's no ninja 250 :headshake

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for all the input. i have to wait til september to take the class...all the june, july, and august classes are filled up

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pay the money and take the course. They guys teaching it are great and will teach you stuff you might not pick up on. I know I am a much more alert rider after taking the course and it also helped out on my insurance since its a safety course. As for the bike I bought my first one when I was 18 and it was an 02 750 and I only weighed about 160 then. You should be fine buy some gear and be safe. TAKE THE COURSE PLEASE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
WELCOMED TO THE SITE ,IM NEW TO THE SITE MYSELF, BUT YEAH MAN DEFINATLY TAKE THE COURSE (GOOD INVESTMENT) FIRST BIKE WAS A 00 r6 AND WISH I STARTED OFF SMALLER SO IM NOT GONNA BASH U ON YOUR CHOICE OF A NINJA 250 / NINJA 500 IS A GOOD STARTER TOO!!! NOT GOING TO KNOCK U AND TELL U NOT TO START OFF ON A GSXR--600 BUT DEFINATLY BE CAREFUL BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
12 Posts
course

That is a very good course. Actually teach you to do some things with your bike you might not other wise try like riding in a little figure 8. I started with a 05 gsxr 750 and the first place i rode was to that course and havent had any problems yet. well good luck hope you enjoy it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you live close to an msf course location and don't mind possibly wasting your time you can show up to one of the courses on the first nite and see if they have any no shows. When I did my msf course we had like 3 no shows

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.