Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

New user with a GSXR problem

918 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  6ixxerGixxer 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm new to this site but have been riding for about 7 years. I'm having trouble with new bike. I just bought an 04' GSXR 750 from a private seller, the bike has 5000 miles on it but was used mainly for stunting. The bike keeps cutting out, almost like it is running out of gas, but only does it once in a while. When this happens I can shut the bike off and the problem will go away for a short time, then start doing it again. It seems to be getting worse. If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this please let me know

#2 ·
If it was used for stunting, most likely it's been tinkered with. Pull the tank (drain it while you have it off and refill with a good fuel, Sunoco is fine), and check the vent hoses. It's likely one is pinched under the tank. While you have it loose, make sure the vent hoses aren't obstructed, spiders and bees like to live in them sometimes.

Carefully re-install the tank, making sure the vent hoses are routed correctly and not in a bind when the tank sets down.

It's something easy to check (takes me about 20 minutes to pull a tank and re-install) and might save you some cash at the shop if it's something simple like this. I dunno about your shop, but our local one just jumped it's labor rate to 74 bucks an hour. Highway robbery is all that is.

#3 ·
My first thought was fuel, but I have ran at least 10 tanks threw, with every diff type of fuel. The weird thing is that I rode it about 200 miles before it did the first time. Then went a month before it did it again, after running some fuel cleaner through it. Now it seems to be doing it more, but only on long rides. Also the top of the tank is dented down and the paint around the cap is pealing away, when the bike is off, there is a pin hole of air leaking out. Don't think it has anything to do with it but I'm not sure. I was told to check the hoses, I moved then around a little today when it started running bad, but no diff, have not had tank off yet though. Guy at dealer says possibly the fuel pump, but they are at least $450.

#6 ·
anyone else have any input on the problem, it's killin me i have tried so many different things but it is hard to know because it is so inconsistent, I can't re-create the problem and it seems to happen when I'm to far away from the dealership, at least then I could get a scan to see if it is posting any codes. please let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.