Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, I've been reading a bunch of threads and you guys are too funny :rofl: I don't have any pictures right now so I know that :needpics: I'll get some pictures soon :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Exactly, why can't more new members uphold this long standing tradition? :bowdown: Anyways, nice to see you joining here and hopefully you'll stick around for a while, any questions feel free to ask and no, sorry, I'm not single.... ;) J/k, later :thumbup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back riding my '05 600 I got a couple of months ago, real nice day out today! As matter of fact I do have a question. I'm 5'2" and I had to get the bike lowered, it was a must for me. Anyway, if I get a gel seat, how much of difference will it be compared to the stock seat?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The gel seat will give you a little more room. I absolutely hate lowering a bike. If you need the sweat hieght lower, I've always been a fan of shaving the seat. It's a really easy thing to do yourself, or you can take it to any bike shop and they'll know how to do it. All you need to so is take the cover off of the seat (it's just stapled) and shave down the foam. You can safely take it down about three inches. Then you recover the seat an voila! This way you don't screw up the handling of the bike, and you can touch the ground. This is a much better solution than lowering, unfortuntely, now you have to pay someone to raise the bike again for you. You can also do a combination of the two if you need that much space. Just try and get as much as you can out of the seat first.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you only lower the bike 1.5 inches you should be fine and not lose much handling at all. A gel seat might help but I don't know. If you have lowered the bike 3 inches then you need to raise it back to 1.5 inches and shave the seat.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Shaving the seat hurts the handling more than lowering the bike would, it puts you in more of a touring seating position so your front end is more likely to slide out under hard braking or cornering.
I don't think the gel seats are any lower than the stock seat is going to be, if thats what your asking about. haven't measured it out but it looked about the same thickness.

·
Registered
320 Posts
skibum91 said:
Shaving the seat hurts the handling more than lowering the bike would, it puts you in more of a touring seating position so your front end is more likely to slide out under hard braking or cornering.
I don't think the gel seats are any lower than the stock seat is going to be, if thats what your asking about. haven't measured it out but it looked about the same thickness.
You are correct sir.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so let me get this right... shaving the seat hurts the handling more than lowering it does? Are you sure it's not the other way around where lowering hurts it? :headscrat

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
In my opinon, lowering the bike, equally fron and rear, isn't going to hurt the handling as much as shaving the seat would, but its your bike, do what you wanna.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No that's ok, I'm happy :thumbup: to hear other peoples opinion cause I'm not too familiar with all the mechanic. I got it lowered two inches and it handles fine right now, do you think it could hurt it later down the road?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Gigserlady6 said:
No that's ok, I'm happy :thumbup: to hear other peoples opinion cause I'm not too familiar with all the mechanic. I got it lowered two inches and it handles fine right now, do you think it could hurt it later down the road?
no if you like the way it handles now, its not going to change later on. If you start pushing the limits of the handling then you might need to figure something else out, but thats going to take a lot of track time before your to that point.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Gigserlady6 said:
Shweet, hey thanks a lot :D
Your welcome, thats what I'm hear for! :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are allot of guys in this area that would have to dissagree with you. As a matter of fact, my girl's bike, I shaved the seat for her, her best friend's bike, she got it lowered and our bike handles exactly the same as it did when I rode it, and her friends bike won't corner for shit. Every shop owner that I know swears by shaving the seat, as a matter of fact they try to talk people out of lowering the bike, even though they can make more money off of doing that than shaving the seat down. With that said, let me just say, you can't go hacking away at the foam, you need to keep the same shape of the original seat and it needs to be done to fit the rider. What's good for one rider will not necessarily fit the next. I would recomend keeping the stock seat and using an extra, and, If you've never done it before, you should take it to someone who knows what they're doing........ But again, everyone has there own preferences.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Well that depends on how you try to lower it and how much your shaving the seat. If you just try to lower the rear, then yea its going to handle like shit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
True, I agree with you. There was allot of "trial and error" with the bike that we lowered, luckily it was an r6 so it was easy, but we ended up doing a combination of front and rear plus shaving down a little. When I recovered it, I heated the shit ot of the fabric and stretched it really tight, that took a little more out of it. It was just a slow process and we kept shaving and trying, shaving and trying. The girl loves it now though. Just one more reason I like being a 250 6'4" man......don't have to alter anything. Just tighten the suspension a little and ride.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.