Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 88 i used to own a 83 Honda 750 Interceptor, didn't get the chance to ride it much in canada...(all the snow on the ground most of the year). The riding season is very short and insurance is way to much for a 18 year old kid.basically rode up and down the street pissing of the neighbors....(LOL) Now that I am in my mid thirties im thinking of getting another but i have come to the point of what to buy...Gixxer or a CBR, I dont need a rocket just something to get my feet wet again till i get the hang of it. Can some one give me the good point/bad points of each, whats a good starter bike? 600 to small? :headscrat

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
600 is perfect as long as you respect it...the CBR is heavier and underpowered when compared to the gixxer..i have a video of multiple head-head races between both of these bikes bone stock and the gixxer outperforms the cbr every time :thumbup:

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
depends.. CBR F4i and theres a CBR RR. F4i is way more friendly and more comfortable (guess cause of the banana seat) and the RR is gear more towards the track.

But ur looking at a big difference in power, an 88 bike compared to bikes now, which i'm sure pretty much have twice the power. Just be a little careful and respect the bike

Anyway, any of the big Four R bikes are fairly close, it just depends which one suits you more, and each one takes the cake in there certain categories.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I pretty much did the same thing you're doing. Ten years without riding (bad wreck) went out and bought an f4i. Loved that bike, but got really used to riding again, really quick and got bored with it. I went out and bought a gixxer 1k. I respect your decision to start out slow again, and I agree with you, but the only advice I would give you........buy used first. The f4i is a great bike, and I kicked my buddies ass every time we went head up on his gixxer 6, but now I have two bike payments.......thank god my girl fell in love with riding that f4i.... and I hate that term "banana seat" it sounds so gay, but.........that's what it is....banana seat!!! :damn:

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whada ya think?

I have been looking at a few others now...GS500, KATANA. Does the Gixxers have that much more than the Katana and the GS500, I can really see that much of a difference in style, But A BIG JUMP IN PRICE :headscrat

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Welcome to the site, Yes there is a huge jump from the Katana to the GSXR. have you sat on the different ones? Hop on one and see which you like better. If you want to do sport riding, like banging corners going fast, then you need a gsxr, if you just want to do a lot of straight line riding, the katana will do.

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just Guessing?

Im am hoping the Yellow one was the Gixxer? Dont laugh :laughingr I have been out of the bike scene for a long time. But im getting back into it slowly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
YO, well I figured I'd show a little love for the GS500. My track bike is a GS500, and before that it was my canyon cruiser. I can out perform nearly and 600+ bike out there in the twisties, and with certain mods to it they can be somewhat competative on the street. Granted you have ridden before, but I started on my GS, and eventually moved up, but i got another GS cause they are just fun to ride. Figured I would throw my hand in the pot and show some GS pride, lol. If you want any more info on the GS500 let me know.

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure what do do?

I dont want to go off on a rant or anything but...

After crusin on the internet I have been advised that buying a GSXR 600 for my first bike would be a major mistake :headshake and I should start with a GS500 or maybe even a 250.... I would hate to spend my money on a bike that I would not like to keep for and extended period of time.I was told that MOST rider only keep there bike for 1-2 years then Trade...I know i am going to here both sides of this situation. But the more i read i hear of alot of people starting out on a bike of this size. Are Gixxer's designed to be a RACE bike or are they a street bike? If this is the case why do so many people buy them for city driving? I dont see many street bikes running 100 mph in town or on the Hwy. I figure if you ride with common sense and not like an Idiot you should have no problems give the bike the respect it deserves. I know my incecent baabling is boring many. and the sentences run on covering many topics and questions. :headscrat But how else am i supposed to learn.
By the way i am going to go to www.mmsp.org before i buy my bike hopefully i can relearn what i already know and remember what i forgotten. :clap:

One more thing...Being from lake area i see people putting there 14-16 yr old kids on a Muscle watercraft for example a Yamaha GP1300R (170hp) and sending them out on the water on labor day weekend. I am wondering if they would put their 16 yr old kid on a Hayabusa GSX1300R and send them down the road? I have asked these type if they would do a similar scenario and i always get the same answer...." If they fall off they are only going to hit the water" Duh!! I have to ask what about the other boats with the lack of vision, steering , lane markers, lights, BRAKES. What do you think

2005 Yamaha GP1300R ,1296cc, 653 lbs.(watercraft)"no brakes"

2005 Hayabusa 1300, 1299cc, 478 lbs (Motorcycle) "it has brakes"

I know there is a definite speed difference

Ok i'll end my rant, thanks for listening. All comments accepted.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I had never ridden a bike in my life, took the saftey course one weekend and bought a new gsxr 600 the next. If you not an idiot driver, you won't be on a bike. Like you said just respect it's power and your cool. There are valid points on getting a 250 or something like that but I didn't want one. Just my .02 but it's not a mistake to get a gsxr right off the bat. I've had mine 2yrs now and am happy i went with it.

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Theres one!

At least I have one person seeing the same way I do. as for driving and respect i have been drinving since i was 16, my record is spotless, and as for learing a tough way to drive. When i turned 21 I went to truck driving school for 6 weeks then on my first trip in mid december my dad says "ok" we are going to Vancouver British Columbia, the worst roads and the worst conditions. his theory was.... If you can drive it in that you can drive anywhere.

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
Ok man, you just killed your confidence by doing research. You probably went to gixxer.com didn't you? Seriously, going to places like that will make you a worse rider and your odds of fucking up will probably go up, because of all the people there who think they are the GODS of riding and put out the bullshit, if you get an R bike as a first bike, or if you get a 600 your going to die, blah blah blah blah blah, stick to a 250, stick with a smaller bike. Shit like that. They think they know everything. Instead of support, they scare the hell outta people.

To answer your question, about these bikes, sport bikes (the "R" bikes, suzuki GSX-R, kawi ZX6-R, honda CBR, yama R6, notice the trend) are race bikes. They are pretty much race bikes out of the box. Compare them to the other line up of bikes, they have way more power, seating position is different, and the throttle way more sensitive. They aren't toys. The just want to corner, and thats what they are made for. But yes, we ride them on the street, why? why not, thats a sweet looking bike! Ha, k has to do with the american market, not bringing in any nice standard or "street" bikes to sell.

Ok, but yes, these are bikes, and should be respected. Its not like driving. Not everyone is meant for riding. You should take it more seriously than cars. A lot of people just don't have respect for machines or speed. Are you going to die if your first bike is a literbike? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the person, if you first, have common sense, know what your getting into, you can respect the bike, and know your limits. Also has to do with how comfortable you are, and your confidence (difference in being cocky and knowing your limits). Me myself, my first bike, a 02 gsxr600, and i've had no riding experince before, haven't even sat on a bike, and it was my first bike, I am not dead yet. I am just very conservative, i wasn't like the kids, oh man this is cool, so fast, let me buy one and not know what they are getting into. Its patience.

But pretty much what i'm saying, don't let the people scare you with the bullshit, shooting down your confidence, it will make you fuck up more honestly. Ride what you want, make sure you are totally comfortable and confident in yourself, so you can just ride. But, of course, respect the bike, know your limits, don't get in over your head. In your case, you've had experince before, just a long time ago. Yes the bikes have changed a lot since then weight and power wise, but that is just something to get used too. Take the MSF course (or whatever safety course they have from where your from) if you haven't. Might be boring for you but hey, it might help in getting you used to riding again and instill more confidence, cause thats what the class is. Thats why you ride the small bikes, the instructors are there to help and build up your confidence so you can be prepared to ride.

As for the watercraft. Comparing watercrafts to motorcycles, not really fair. Talking about water compared to hard SOLID ashplat. Hmmmmm.

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I have made up my mind...I think

Im going to find me a 01-02 or 03 GSXR 600, average price is about $3000-$5000. will be asking more questions later?

P.S Yes i did read that on Gixxer as well as others

Thanks for all the Support.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
BallHawk3 said:
Ok man, you just killed your confidence by doing research. You probably went to gixxer.com didn't you? Seriously, going to places like that will make you a worse rider and your odds of fucking up will probably go up, because of all the people there who think they are the GODS of riding and put out the bullshit, if you get an R bike as a first bike, or if you get a 600 your going to die, blah blah blah blah blah, stick to a 250, stick with a smaller bike. Shit like that. They think they know everything. Instead of support, they scare the hell outta people.
Well lets think here. Almost everybody you talk to that has riding experience says, get something smaller than a 600. Hmmm, what a concept, people that know what they are doing suggesting something you don't like, they must be wrong then.
Most experienced riders suggest starting with a 250 or 500 because that is the smart thing to do. You will become a much better rider if you start on a small bike with less power and ability. Yes you might think you'll get tired of it and you might, but that doesn't mean you actually can use 100% of the bikes ability. When your on a smaller bike, you learn cornering better, because to keep up with the bigger bikes you have to keep a higher corner speed and the lighter the bike, the faster in the corner you can go.
Your right, if you go buy a 600 and learn to ride, you might not die, you can die on a 250, but yes if you go buy a 1000 you are more likey to die then you would starting on a small bike.

If your goals are to get a cool looking bike, that your just going to cruise around and never want to use even 40% of its potential then sure get the 600. But if you want to learn how to ride, how to corner, how to out manuver people, and stay up with 1000's on a 600, then my suggestion is get something smaller. Depending on your size you might not want to get a 250 but they make a 500. And if you can learn to wheelie the 500, then your skills will be way more advanced than most peoples. Its not a matter of life or death, its a matter of skill.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
BallHawk3 said:
Ok man, you just killed your confidence by doing research.
Don't even get me started on this, that is the smartest thing he could have done.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
BallHawk3 said:
As for the watercraft. Comparing watercrafts to motorcycles, not really fair. Talking about water compared to hard SOLID ashplat. Hmmmmm.
Thats not the reason that you can't compare watercrat to motorcycles because at 80mph I belive it is, water has the density of concrete. Why do you think when people jump off bridges they die, because they hit the water at such a high rate of speed.

But you can't compare motorcyles to water craft for a couple of reasons. First of all you throw a water craft in the water, it sits upright-yes they can tip. But on a motorcycle you take it and set it on the asphalt without a kickstand, its gonna fall over.
Most watercraft won't accelerate or have the top speed of a bike, and your less likey to hit something hard on a watercraft, like a guard rail or another car or a tree, but its still possible.
I'm not defending what those people are doing because they are idiots, just like the ones that go and get a busa for their first bike, But you can't really compare the 2.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I totally agree with ski, not just cause he's ski, but because of the experience. My first bike was a GS500, excellent bike. I would highly suggest looking into one. I know where one is for sale here in Cali, hit me up if you want more info. But, if you think you can get a 600 and respect it by all means, but you WILL be a better rider starting on a 500. You will NEVER learn to use the bikes full potential on a 600. Just my $.02

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Katana? maybe?

I went out today to 5 differnet bike shops and 3 out of 5 said you might try starting out on a 600 Katana, GS500 or a SV650 I looked at them and read up on them...Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Im not saying that these guys are wrong for telling me to start small, It's not that I dont like what I'm hearing. , like everything you are going to hear Pros and Cons to every situation. Today the guy says "I started out on a 1000 CBR back in the mid nineties, I wish I had got something smaller to start out on , but thats me. Didn't hurt me any" "Get what you want".

My experience of riding is very limited , I consider my time away from the bike scene and truley beleive that I am a NEW Rider, My road time doesn't count for squat! Bikes have changed drastically since 87-88.

Yes, I probably want to use more than 40% of the bikes power but i have no desire to try and keep up with Big crowd, or out manuver the rest of the public. As for the being cool part.....not so much. Im mid-thirties and married I have no one to impress.

Don't get me wrong or think im am going to keep trying to prove that "Im the Exception". IM NOT!! This is a learing process for me and greatly appreciate all comments and critisism. :bowdown: This Board has been more helpful in the past few days than the others have in the past 2 months. ;)

P.S. You have many hard things to hit on the water...Docks, Boats, Logs, Buoys and the shore

But if I buy something other than a Gixxer I going to have to leave the Board.....Just Kidding

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.