Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive done a search on the forum for my problem(s). i feel i know what may be causing it but i welcome any additional advice.

bought a 04 1k today, it is pristine! no wrecks, and 3 small nicks in the paint. i meet up with the seller and he drove the bike in to work then met me about 15 minutes away from his job. so he drove about 45 minutes on the bike today. (i feel that this is important info) i take the bike for a test drive and dont really get on the throttle, i cruise thru all 6 gears up the street and hit about 5k/6k rpms in 3rd back down the street. i park the bike, hand over the cash and get the goods. We go our separate ways and my friend is following me in his truck back home. I get on the highway and get up to speed, after about 10 minutes i start playing with the bike making sure there is not going to be any trouble for the remaining 200 mile drive home and getting a feel for my new found power.

heres the problem, after about 15 minutes i downshift from 6th to 4th gear and get on the throttle pretty good. the bike proceeds to hesitate and then after a few seconds it cuts off then back on and is rocking me back and forth. it wasnt enough to throw me off the bike but at 90mph it was enough to scare me.

now im pissed, i pull over and call the seller. he of course has no idea what it could be. HOWEVER, he does remember that the battery died about a month ago and he trickle charged it back up. BUT, he hasnt driven it but maybe 70 miles in the last 4 months and only once since he recharged the battery. Today was the first day he had driven it any length of time in the last 4 months.

i *suspect* that the battery could be bad, or that the stator is on its way out. and i am hoping to confirm that with some more knowledgeable ppl on this forum. But, i figured while im waiting on the title and getting the registration papers in the mail that i might as well replace coolant/plugs and whatever else is due for servicing. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Am I dead on with the problem?

thanks for the advice in advance!
and one last thing, guy claims he just changed oil and uses only 93 octane. he does not use part/full synthetic oil and the bike has just shy of 7k miles on it.

on another note, i would like to make the switch to synthetic. i have been advised to do the next oil change with part synthetic then with full synthetic the following oil change. is this recommended?

-halcyon

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alot of people like the synthetic oil. Could have been a mistake on my part but I never suggest synth oil in bikes that have a wet clutch. It could have been a clutch going bad in my situation but I had an 03 1k and it ran fine clutch never slipped. Put synth in it and clutch started slipping all over the place.

As for the battery, I would say you are dead on. Not enough charge and amps/volts to pull that load when you get on it but enough to cruise on. I've had that prob with a bunk battery

·
Registered
894 Posts
Start with the battery, its cheap to replace. Then go from there. As for the synthetic oil, just change up to it straight up. Ive been running synth on my bike for 20000Km and taken it to the drag strip many times and my clutch and plates are pristine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.