Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About six months ago I was in one of the worst accidents ever. I live in daytona beach, and in florida there is no "helmet law". Everyone rides around without 'em. I was leaving my appartment complex on my gixxer 750 and it just finished raining. the blacktop was wet and my tire was a little bald. I punched it a little and my rear tire slipt out. i was trveling about 20mph and when the bike slipt my head bounced off of the ground like a basketball. i recieved 40 stitches in the front of my face and 7 staples in the back of my head. NO JOKE. I have a six inch scar running down my forehead that will be there forever. I didnt realize that even traveling at such a slow speed I could get hurt this badly. When I stood up blood was pooring out of my head like a faucet. I could literally slide my fingers underneath my scalp and touch my skull. If i had been traveling at 50mph I would most certainly be dead. If I was just wearing a helmet I would be fine with a little road rash. No one can predict a crash. It happens when you least expect it. Everybody goes down. Everybody. And if you havent...then you will. The only thing you can do to prevent it is prepare for it. WEAR yor gear!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
that sux dude............. but thats what you get when dont wear your gear...and punch it with a bald tire tire on wet pavement.....guess youll always wear your gear now huh

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I hope you're advocating helmet usage now.

Personally, I'll wear a helmet, reguardless of the laws.... however, I will strongly support your right to not use one if you choose to.

Helmet laws suck, but people that don't wear helmets are only risking their own health and life.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope things improve for you. Take it as a lesson learned and help others to understand the importance of helmet usage. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
249 Posts
gixerfast said:
that sux dude............. but thats what you get when dont wear your gear...and punch it with a bald tire tire on wet pavement.....guess youll always wear your gear now huh
what he said

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
No helmet law in Illinois, crazy or not it's an option we have here. It's a choice you get to make, I'm about 50/50 on wearing mine. My theory is it's my decision, I understand the risk involved with not wearing it and am willing to accept it. I just don't want to listen to someone preaching to me that I should wear it, I don't run around pushing my opinion to other so I don't care to hear it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
ive had a friend fly off his bike with no gear at 45mph and barly got rashed.

i always wear my gear though. Its all about luck, as for riding your bike on wet pavement is already stupid but you knew your tire was bald.....and you still didnt wear gear, that was asking for it

be thankful your still around to talk about it.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
even when i ride with no helmet just to park it in the garage i feel weird, i'd never hit the streets like that, law or not

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wisconsin has a no helmet law and here you gotta watch for freakin deer popping out from the ditch. That'll give you a pucker factor trust me!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Each one makes there own decision -- right or wrong... You went out on wet pavement (strike one), You had a bald tire (strike two), you gunned the throttle (strike three)... It's that simple.. :infrandom

Everybody goes down... there are those that have and those that haven't yet but it will happen... Luck is part of it but you don't have to take unneccessary chances...

just my thoughts..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ohad said:
In arizona there is not a helmet law!!

But they have a seatbelt law, now wtf is up with that?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Illinois is the same way, seatbelt law but no helmet law. I've even got a seatbelt ticket.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Yup, same with PA. No lid but you gotta wear seatbelts. They even do randon stops checking for your belt. You ask me I think seatbelts cost lives. Sometimes you cant get it off in time and your DEAD. I crashed at 140+ and walked away with only a concussion and a sprained thumb. Oh yeah, some glass in my head from going through the SIDE window. Seat belt would have not helped that situation.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The argument that forces the seatbelt issue on us is that in the event of an accident, you could be thrown out of the driver seat with the car still moving, and eleminate the chances of regaining control of the car...or somebody in your car could fly across in front of you and keep you from regaining control... both of which can result in loss of further life.

With a helmet, it's ONLY your head that is on the line. By the time you wipe out bad enough to need the helmet, there's no chance of regaining control. So, in short, lack of a seatbelt can cause deaths or injuries other than you own, whereas lack of a helmet is only your life at risk.

As I said before, I support your right to not wear a helmet, but I think you're crazy not to..

Not only that, but if you choose to do somthing like not wear a helmet, and you get permanently injured, I don't think that my tax dollars should support you or your medical bills.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
No thanks, I'm good. I always wear mine. My wife did not spend $400.00 on one for it to sit in my garage.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
03GSXR750 said:
Would your wife mind spending a couple hundred on a helmet for me...? Mine has seen better days... :lol:
I doubt it, but a better jobbyjob might help. :rofl: :infrandom

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Just kidding man.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts