Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve been reading and reading and no one really has this issue. I have a 2008 gsxr 750 And when the kick stand is down and the bike is started the neutral light will be on. (Green) I put the kick stand up shift into first then back to neutral and no neutral light. Bike is in neutral with no green light on until I put the kick stand down then boom neutral light is on. I’m at a loss. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Mod of the North
29,974 Posts
What year and model do you have? I think that is how my '89 is set up.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Welcome.

I'm 95% sure it is the side stand relay. If you look at the wiring diagram there are 2 diodes that control the logic as to whether the bike will run and the neutral light is part of that. I believe one of the diodes has failed.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
The relay is listed under the turn signal parts listing as it also has the flasher built in.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
BTW, the p/n 38610-03F00 relay was used on a dozen different models (Bergmans to VStroms) from 2002 to 2012 so you should be able to find a used one cheap. They don't fail very often so buying a used one is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,144 Posts
If you type in your year, make, and model it come up with

This part is not compatible with 2008 Suzuki GSXR750 --.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,144 Posts
IDK, hard telling. At $20 wouldn't be too painful to find out i guess.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If they don’t fail often found the oem one used for cheap. I guess it won’t hurt to try. I thought it was the gps but it’s clean and works correctly. Thought it was the side stand but it kills the bike when it’s in the down position and works properly. It’s just that stupid light issue that’s driving me nuts. Only works when the kick stand is down.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
If they don’t fail often found the oem one used for cheap. I guess it won’t hurt to try. I thought it was the gps but it’s clean and works correctly. Thought it was the side stand but it kills the bike when it’s in the down position and works properly. It’s just that stupid light issue that’s driving me nuts. Only works when the kick stand is down.
I'll change my guess after looking at the wiring diagram. I can't see a diode failure that would cause your specific symptoms.

After re-reading your first description and guessing a few things.
I'm guessing you are starting the bike in neutral with the side stand down and you have a neutral light.
That you then put the sidestand up while still in neutral and still have a neutral light.
You put the bike in gear, light goes out, but when you go back to neutral it does not go on again.

When you say it goes on when you put the sidestand down, is it going on just as you start moving it down or after it pops locked down? (the sidestand switch opens just as you start moving the sidestand down)

I'm now leaning to it being the GPS and that the light is only coming on when the sidestand pops all the way down. The vibration of the sidestand locking is shaking a flaky GPS and allowing it to make contact. (The GPS is really close to the sidestand mount)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct. I will be in neutral with the light on stand down. Kick the stand up light still on. Put it in gear then back to neutral light goes out even when in neutral. I put the kick stand down and the light comes on. When I’m riding I can be in neutral and no light. If I tap the kickstand down just the slightest the light will come back.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,144 Posts
This is just a stab, as I really don't know. But, it seems to me, that the side stand switch, and the gear position switch are tied together at some point in the system? with that thinking, could it be the side stand switch? I can follow Johns logic that the GPS is getting rattled into "on" when the side stand is set, but, I would think it would have the same effect while riding. The vibration of the engine should have the same effect to activate the GPS. Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I have another kickstand switch in the mail because that’s what I thought it was first. I cleaned the gps lastnight. But half ass cleaned it because I didn’t wanna damage it. But I’m going to take it off again tonight. Clean it with brake clean and the mounting hole it goes in. Apply dielectric grease to the connecter and the face of the sensor and see.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Correct. I will be in neutral with the light on stand down. Kick the stand up light still on. Put it in gear then back to neutral light goes out even when in neutral. I put the kick stand down and the light comes on. When I’m riding I can be in neutral and no light. If I tap the kickstand down just the slightest the light will come back.
So I'll go with the GPS. The GPS provides the ground for the light through the blue wire. Before you take it apart, you could unplug the sensor, put a meter on the blue wire and see if you have reliable grounding when you shift.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,436 Posts
Not necessarily. If it was the GPS's connection to ground, the light wouldn't come on at all. It has to be between the switch and ground. I think you were probably correct with the relay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well as of now I have a kickstand switch in the mail 9$ used. 8$ relay. And cleaning the gps free. When cleaning the gps brake clean won’t hurt it will it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idk if this is normal or not but my 2008 600 does the same thing. I just kinda ignore it. though it is annoying. I haven't tried to fix it yet so this should help when I do. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts