Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,439 Posts
Not going to be the kickstand switch. If it was, you'd have other issues. It's the ground leg of the GPS. If you want to prove that out, you could tap into that wire and run a ground jumper from it directly to the neg terminal of the battery. If your problem persists, it's the GPS. If it doesn't, then it's down stream.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not going to be the kickstand switch. If it was, you'd have other issues. It's the ground leg of the GPS. If you want to prove that out, you could tap into that wire and run a ground jumper from it directly to the neg terminal of the battery. If your problem persists, it's the GPS. If it doesn't, then it's down stream.
Can I clean the gps? Or once they are bad they are bad?

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Found a manual. Page 1A-89 shows most of the circuit.

1) Neutral light gets power from the cluster. Ground travels from the cluster to the relay block on the Bl/B wire.
2) The GPS switch grounds ALL gears and neutral.
3) The Pink wire from the ECM measures resistance to ground through the GP switch.
4) From the relay block, the blue wire goes to the GP switch neutral pole.

#3 caught my eye. Does your gear indicator work?

·
Administrator
11,703 Posts
Can I clean the gps? Or once they are bad they are bad?
Over the years, some have posted that the they had success cleaning the GPS, others have not.

The gear position numbers on both my K6 bikes are a little flakey at times but I have not made the effort to try cleaning them. My neutral light usually works solid.

On the plus side, the switch is pretty easy to access if you did want to try cleaning it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Found a manual. Page 1A-89 shows most of the circuit.

1) Neutral light gets power from the cluster. Ground travels from the cluster to the relay block on the Bl/B wire.
2) The GPS switch grounds ALL gears and neutral.
3) The Pink wire from the ECM measures resistance to ground through the GP switch.
4) From the relay block, the blue wire goes to the GP switch neutral pole.

#3 caught my eye. Does your gear indicator work?
it works when it wants to. When for a long ride Saturday and it came on once. Every time I’m in neutral it has a gear position of - not 0. But it’s definitely in neutral. Also all other gear positions work but neutral

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
You'd need to test the GPS with an Ohm meter.

Still thinking about this. With the kickstand up, the KS switch is closed grounding the relay. With it down, it's open and the only ground to the relay is neutral. So the logic of your light being on when kickstand down is kind of backwards. That means there could be some transient voltage on the green wire between the kickstand switch and relay. When the kickstand is up, that voltage is opposing the flow for the diode and preventing it from having a good ground. Kickstand down, you ground it and everything is good. That points back to the relay block again. The only time the relay block and GPS work together is neutral, so the gear indicator might work fine and it's just neutral that's jacked up.

It really doesn't make any sense.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You'd need to test the GPS with an Ohm meter.

Still thinking about this. With the kickstand up, the KS switch is closed grounding the relay. With it down, it's open and the only ground to the relay is neutral. So the logic of your light being on when kickstand down is kind of backwards. That means there could be some transient voltage on the green wire between the kickstand switch and relay. When the kickstand is up, that voltage is opposing the flow for the diode and preventing it from having a good ground. Kickstand down, you ground it and everything is good. That points back to the relay block again. The only time the relay block and GPS work together is neutral, so the gear indicator might work fine and it's just neutral that's jacked up.

It really doesn't make any sense.....
trust me I thought it was odd too. I have a new relay I can swap in to see if it work.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
it works when it wants to. When for a long ride Saturday and it came on once. Every time I’m in neutral it has a gear position of - not 0. But it’s definitely in neutral. Also all other gear positions work but neutral
I'm starting to think it's the GP switch. Unplug it and put an Ohm meter across the Bl/B and B/W wires and put it in neutral. Tap it, shift to first and back, shift to second and back, etc. Every time you're in neutral, it should read near zero Ohms.

·
Administrator
11,703 Posts
Did you ever solve this issue ?
Got exactly the same problem
Thanks
Welcome.

The post is over a year old and the OP has not been here for almost that long.

His last post before radio silence was that he was going to swap in a new relay so maybe that fixed it?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Mod of the North
29,979 Posts
I have some qustions about an 89 gsxr if you have time
Sure! Start yourself a thread in the tech section. Also, make yourself an intor thread & since you have an '89 pics are mandatory. Lol.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts