Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking to buy a 97 gsxr600, and the guy told me it started making a knocking sound, when put in gear at high rpm. He had replace the clutch resently but doesn't really know what it is. Any ideas? repair cost??? wondering if it is worth buying.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Depends on the amount that your paying for the bike?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
HAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
If this is what I think it is this is toooooo funny. Does he mean that when he oes from neutral to first gear it "clunks?" And if he does it at higher rpms it "clunks" louder? If that's what it is then it's completely normal, have you ever ridden a bike before? If this is the only thing wrong with it tell the guy it needs a new transmission and give him a grand for the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think that is basicly it. But i am not 100% sure, he said it started doing it resently. I have ridden but its been a while about 5 years. I'm wanna get back into it. but i don't want a new bike, i need to reteach myself everything. he selling it for $2000, someone offer him $1000 and he didn't sell it. what do u think i should do. BTW i am an car Mechanic and aircraft mechanic so i have some good knowledge.

thanks

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
have you test ridden the bike?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Your description of the problem is very vague.... see if you can take the bike to a shop for a once over before you buy it if you are not sure.

$2000 for a 97 600 is not a bad deal. You can find them in very good shape though for about $3500 or so....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i haven't test driven it, i haven't drove one in like 5 years and didn't want to try and risk messing up the bike. But what do u think i shouldn't do. I am trying to get him domn to 1700, would that be a good price.
thanks

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It is hard to say what is or isn'tr a good deal when we dont know what is wrong with the bike.... if the bike is in good shape, and he just hears a noise and THINKS there is something wrong (IE the clunking of the tranny when putting it into gear at any RPM other than idle) then the asking price is a good deal. If the bike is ragged out or is in poor shape including cosmetically, then no that is not a good deal.

You really want o be sure of what MIGHT be wrong with a bike before you buy it, especially if you are not mechanically inclined enough to fix it. I just did a tranny job for a guy..... cost him about $1000. That is a SERIOUSLY fucked tranny, most are about $400-$600 worht of repairs. And we STILL dont even know if it is the tranny.......

It is your gamble though........ roll the dice :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Find somebody that knows about bikes and have them ride it and get their opinion! cuz we're not gonna be able to say yea its a good deal without knowing the problem like moto said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the rest of the bike is in good shape and you get him down a little, buy it.
Shit you can buy a used motor for less than it cost to rebuild one (worse case senario) most of the time.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
yes those years are right........ Well kindof. The 99 750 was fuel injected and has some differences I think on the actual motor in addition to the tank, harness and throttle bodies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts