Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to biking so bear with me please :D...I bought a 04 600 and it redlines in neutral however it will not go over 12000 rpms. To me it seems as though it should go faster than that. I changed the plugs, oil, air filter, and coolant since i bought it 3 wks ago. It runs perfect until i get to high rpms. I have only put 93 octane in it...ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Redline

Not able to redline
Ok, I am new to biking so bear with me please ...I bought a 04 600 and it redlines in neutral however it will not go over 12000 rpms. To me it seems as though it should go faster than that. I changed the plugs, oil, air filter, and coolant since i bought it 3 wks ago. It runs perfect until i get to high rpms. I have only put 93 octane in it...ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
So it redlines in neutral, but wont reach redline? I assume you mean it will reach rev-limitting at 12K RM in neutral but will not go any higher, and you believe it should reach the redline of ~15K RPM? As I recall, the engine is electronically restricted in neutral to keep people from grossly over-revving it and floating valves or what not. Try to reach redline in first or so, just not neutral, and see if the rev limiter goes any higher.

If however, it will not exceed 12K RPM in ANY gear, I would suspect that your gear sensor is unhooked or malfunctioning, such that it is telling the ECU the bike is always in Neutral.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that...i wasnt really clear. It will reach 16k in neutral however, it does not want to go over 12k in any gear. It seems as though it is just out of power. Last night i held it pegged in first gear for nearly 30 seconds before it reached 12.5K . I would assume that it is not getting aduquate fuel but that is about all i know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you throwing any type of engine light or is your coolant indicator switching from temp to FI? If it's throwing an FI code it puts the bike into limp mode, which as your describing will make it not go over 12k rpm and it will feel like your not getting enough fuel or it will just be slugish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Btw I just got an 06 1000 and the FI was being thrown along with it running in limp mode, I had to remove the EXCVA and dissconnect a wire off the ECM to get the FI indicator to turn off and have it run normal. All because the stock exhaust was removed and it had a butterfly plate in the exhaust that was controlled by the ECM through the EXCVA servo

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Btw I just got an 06 1000 and the FI was being thrown along with it running in limp mode, I had to remove the EXCVA and dissconnect a wire off the ECM to get the FI indicator to turn off and have it run normal. All because the stock exhaust was removed and it had a butterfly plate in the exhaust that was controlled by the ECM through the EXCVA servo
Not an issue on his 04 though (05 and earlier 600's and 750's don't have SET valves.)

I'm guessing maybe a secondary butterfly valve actuator issue, but again check for a fault code using the procedure in the Tech FAQ section. By the way, it is REALLY BAD for your engine to hit the rev limiter in neutral, when there is no load on your engine. And if you want your engine to last a long time, you really should stay about 1,000 rpm shy of redline in any gear. That's well past the power band anyway, so it's not like you're trading off any performance by doing that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, still no progress however ive been working with it and have figured something new out. When i have it wot, it will reach 10-12k but when i let off a little it will climb to 14k. I put it in dealer mode and got c28(secondary throttle control actuator). So with that being said any new input. Do i need to buy a used throttle body on ebay? Plz help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts