Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for a little run tonight, after about 10mins my headlight and gauge lights started diming and brightning. I decided to turn around a go home to see what the problem was, when I got back into my garage I just let it idle the gauge light was flickering and so was the headlight and tailight. I shut it down and restarted but it barely turned over, then I tried it again and it turned over fast, I let it run same problem. Then for the last time I shut it down and turned it back on it turned over slow about 5 times and then I heard a snap and there was nothing. I checked all of my fuses and they were fine, I took off the seat to check the meter reading on the battery and it was fine as well. I was just about to give up when I noticed the handle from my screwdriver out of the tool kit laying between the Negitive and Positive battery posts, I removed it and noticed that the negitive battery post was melted completely it half. I fixed it up the best I could to hold the negitive wire, and the bike started right up and seems to be working fine again. Finally, my question is do you think that the screwdriver handle is the cause of this? Or, is there something else that may be going?
I am not sure because I don't know how the screwdiver would create a link from the + to - posts. It is the screwdriver handle that comes with the factory kit and has metal in the center of the handle only on one end it is exposed. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep...definately the cause.. I had a similar problem with my 700hp jet boat. The thing would run like shit off and on. I replaced the coil, battery, and alternator. I was running out of hope when I noticed the negative battery terminal resting against one of the wet-exhaust lines. The valve on the line was completely melted. After a little wiring dress up it ran like a champ. That is until I got hit with a rain storm, out at Lake Mead, and fried some piston rings. :headshake It doesn't take much to "arch a spark." :thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts