Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I generally buy and sometime sell on the ebay platform. As a buyer I'm usually used to paying the price that's set and ok with it. I started noticing in 2019 that they started adding taxes on the buyers total invoice. No big deal since uncle Sam gotta get paid, right? Well today i sold something and they charged me tax as well. So how does that work? You're getting the tax from the buyer and seller on the same product. Then they charge you an ebay fee then a paypal fee, which is the same company. Then at the end of the month, you're sent another invoice to pay for the transactions for the month as a seller. I used to love ebay but I'm really feeling that the greed is now on an all new level with this company. I hate to not use a company I used to love but with their prices, these days I try to sell on the forums and craigslist where as people we can come to a fair price agreement. Now we just have to find another way to avoid these outrageous shipping prices...

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Ebay definitely has changed over the years. There is a lot more new product than used.

Regarding you as the seller being charged tax. Something is not right there. The sales/use tax is added to the buyer's price and charged to them.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

Also, it is not Uncle Sam. It is the lovely people in your own state government that have been pushing to charge sales tax on their citizen for years. It does suck that they are collecting tax on used goods but I guess there is precedent. Have you bought a used motorcycle?

Ebay is still a huge resource and the tax is a minor annoyance. After all, it is for the children. :laugh

Selling person to person is the best, least expensive way to sell something. But when you have something with a very limited market (i.e. 2005 GSXR1000 lower left fairing in red) you need the exposure of Ebay unless you want to look at that part a long time. Ebay has it's value. I'm wondering how Facebook is going to monetize their Marketplace someday?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ebay definitely has changed over the years. There is a lot more new product than used.

Regarding you as the seller being charged tax. Something is not right there. The sales/use tax is added to the buyer's price and charged to them.

Also, it is not Uncle Sam. It is the lovely people in your own state government that have been pushing to charge sales tax on their citizen for years. It does suck that they are collecting tax on used goods but I guess there is precedent. Have you bought a used motorcycle?

Ebay is still a huge resource and the tax is a minor annoyance. After all, it is for the children. :laugh

Selling person to person is the best, least expensive way to sell something. But when you have something with a very limited market (i.e. 2005 GSXR1000 lower left fairing in red) you need the exposure of Ebay unless you want to look at that part a long time. Ebay has it's value. I'm wondering how Facebook is going to monetize their Marketplace someday?
Perhaps they somehow feel they are taxing you for selling you the service of selling your good/s on their site?
I dunno?

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
Perhaps they somehow feel they are taxing you for selling you the service of selling your good/s on their site?
I dunno?
"They" are not Ebay. They are the individual states telling Ebay to collect the sales/use tax or else.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A few sites are now adding taxes, Summit Racing is where I first saw it and they was kind enough to link the reason for it, Court Case here ( https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-494_j4el.pdf ), all sites are going to add taxes and its just a matter of when. IIRC, Amazon has added tax as well.

Gone are the days of paying no tax on out of state goods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ebay is getting more and more expensive to sell your items on unless you create an Ebay store and then you'd have to sell in large volumes in order to take advantage of any savings - On the topic of change Craigslist is also now charging a fee to list and sell a motorcycle on their website. It's probably only a matter of time before everything in the future will be charging some kind of fee in the name of service such as a membership fee for you to access youtube, facebook, etc...etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
State taxes aside, I wonder if they see the markups on Amazon and are thinking that they could also get some of that.

·
Registered
28 Posts

+1

·
Registered
35 Posts
eBay has been robbing sellers for years. I used to have a small eBay store and I remember when the seller's fees doubled practically overnight... It pushed a lot of the small drop-shippers out of business because their margins were already so small to begin with.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Never mind the extortionate fees, there is a huge problem with their security.

I regularly get offers which i am happy to accept only to see them never actually pay and eBay sends me an email days later saying that it was suspicious as they weren’t a registered user...

I haven’t lost any money to these low life scammers but how the hell does a company with the resources eBay/Google has on hand have such a glaring hole in their applications that offers to purchase can be made by fake users?

And to charge final value fees on shipping is just wrong - I lose a few cents to many dollars on shipping on every transaction. And it gets way worse if someone buys multiple products as their calculated postage is always wrong and always on the favour of the purchaser, not the store owner.

I’m going to build my own store on my own domain. Screw eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts