·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
87 octane

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see why so much confusion on this subject. I just bought a Factory Service Manual (downloaded it) and it says "Use only unleaded gasoline of at leat 87 pump octane (R/2 + M/2) or 91 octane or higher rated by the research method."

I'll be using 87.

Thanks for your help!
-Erik

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
On my K1 750 it said preferably 93 but the engine will compensate for lower octane.

·
Registered
90 Posts
on my k3 600 the original owner ran 93 he said with a full system and pc 3 you have to. But i would like to switch back to 87. to do this will I need to re-map the bike or just use the current map it has? :infrandom also do you need ot flush your lines or anything like that to just switch octanes?

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
You "should" run the fuel you mapped the bike with. However, you probably could get away with using 87 in it but just take it to a good dynojet tuner and have it remapped if you want. Just because the guy put in a full system doesn't mean the bike has to have 93. The previous owner could have put in 93 when he got the full system and PCIII and thought that 93 octane is better (like most noobs do).

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I had to guess, the tune should be set for a specific octane. That's the way it is with the tunes for my car. I have one for 87, one for 91 and one for 93 octane. But, I'm speaking specifically for my car, so don't take my word as gospel for bike tunes.

There shouldn't be a need to flush your lines when you change octanes. Just get the tank as empty as you can before you fill up. A quarter gallon of 87 mixed with 3 gallons of 93 is going to equal out to be "92.5ish" octane. haha.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
There shouldn't be a need to flush your lines when you change octanes. Just get the tank as empty as you can before you fill up. A quarter gallon of 87 mixed with 3 gallons of 93 is going to equal out to be "92.5ish" octane. haha.
That's funny but alot of people think like that :laughingr

·
Registered
90 Posts
yeah i probably won't get remapped for awhile so i will probably just switch and see how the bike runs. If it's sluggish I will switch back if not just stay with the 87.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
If I had to guess, the tune should be set for a specific octane. That's the way it is with the tunes for my car. I have one for 87, one for 91 and one for 93 octane. But, I'm speaking specifically for my car, so don't take my word as gospel for bike tunes.

That's right - in our area, pump gas is delivered in only 87 and 91 octanes, and it is blended at the pump to make the mid grade 89 octane. Most East coast gas pipelines deliver only 87 and 93, and blend at the pump to make 91.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Damn I never knew they blended at the pump interesting. The only fuel i ever really mess with is JP-8 or 100ll.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I switched to 87 today. First of all i ran the bike 10 miles after the fuel light came on so there was very little 93 left. After filling with the 87 I noticed the bike doesnt give a damn. It's just as snappy on the throttle and it has not effected my operating temps. so I am going to stick with 87 from now on.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
So I switched to 87 today. First of all i ran the bike 10 miles after the fuel light came on so there was very little 93 left. After filling with the 87 I noticed the bike doesnt give a damn. It's just as snappy on the throttle and it has not effected my operating temps. so I am going to stick with 87 from now on.
You will find that you bike won't give a damn unless you go BELOW 87 octane. In fact, I think that you will find, over the long run, that you have cleaner plugs, and you might even see a slight amount of mpg improvement.

Even my own 750, which requires 90, well, I've accidentally run 87 in it, more than once, and it has been fine. There is some wiggle room here. On both sides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.