Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2324 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
The last year or 2 I been active here except the last 6 months I’d say when they reconfigured this chat I was no longer active due to I don’t know how to use this site anymore. I’m not mr computer tech Etc. at this very moment I’m not sure I’m posting in the thread or sending mail. I like to be active again I just need to figure out how this site works
Good to see you Sir.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Hello everyone long time no see
The one difference I've seen regarding posting is that if you use the "reply" button below someone else's post, it will quote in your post.

If you just want to make a post, there is a blank box just after the last post on the thread.

Either path uses the same box and if you don't want to quote the OP, just delete the quote and enter your message.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’ve thought about leaving plenty of times lol can’t wait for the day I can roll my toolbox into my garage tbh.
That was the best part of moving out of the industry. I was an automotive tech for 10 years. NEVER had all the tools I needed at home to complete a job right, LOL. Carrying a tool bag back and forth to work because of side jobs.
I went into welding and fabrication after that. Loved it. Best career change I've made to date. Wish I could go back to it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good morning everyone. It’s good to be back. Currently in the chilly 50’s but a few hours from now should be about 70 I’m looking forward to some ride time! 👍

·
Registered
549 Posts
That was the best part of moving out of the industry. I was an automotive tech for 10 years. NEVER had all the tools I needed at home to complete a job right, LOL. Carrying a tool bag back and forth to work because of side jobs.
I went into welding and fabrication after that. Loved it. Best career change I've made to date. Wish I could go back to it.
Being a mechanic is a tuff gig these days, not like it used to be. Cars keep changing and you will never have all the tools required Bc everything keeps changing and I’m sure we all know tools ain’t cheap! Owing half your check too the tool truck and or cc is insane! Even the guys that have every tool that own the shop struggle with it. Not to mention all the remanufactured parts that are bad out the box so you do a job 2-3-4xs over and labor rate don’t add up. I currently work on equipment I started out in automotive I learned the hard way I love it as a hobby but hate it as a career . I would not recommend this industry to anyone new, it’s truly sad.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The one difference I've seen regarding posting is that if you use the "reply" button below someone else's post, it will quote in your post.

If you just want to make a post, there is a blank box just after the last post on the thread.

Either path uses the same box and if you don't want to quote the OP, just delete the quote and enter your message.
Ty @rv6john for the info and all your input .

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ty @rv6john for the info and all your input .
Did you use any lubricant while drilling? Cutting oil is best but wd40, pb blaster, or even water helps out to keep your bits cool and sharp.
i used some wd 40 , I normally Use something better for drilling metal but wd was handy. I bought some titanium bits from Lowe’s but they did not seem very good or that clamp was not made of steel possibly, titanium or Stainless or maybe some other metal ?? Maybe it was a mix of both cheap bits and harder metal but it took much longer than expected to fix it and smoked a few bits along the way. I guess I should of coughed up the big bucks for kobalt bits.... but I got it done and it will hopefully hold up a long time

·
Registered
31 Posts
I came from welding/fabricating. I hated that. Hated the people I worked with/for, hated the heat, hated getting burned from molten metal lol I came into the auto industry and worked my way up to the lead mechanic of the shop I work for. I love wrenching I really do. The only reason I think about leaving for something else is due to management. I make good money and turn good hours being the only flat rate mechanic here. I have a hourly guy who I’m training who helps out when we get slammed.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good morning everyone. It’s good to be back. Currently in the chilly 50’s but a few hours from now should be about 70 I’m looking forward to some ride time! 👍
Welcome back.

It's been really nice here yesterday and today. Sunny and 70F.
Even though I'm working a 12hr today (yep, I'm at work he, he), I ride to work in the morning sun, and will ride home just as it's getting dark, just after 8 pm.

Riding in isn't as good a hitting the twisties in the area like I do when I work and get off early enough to 'take the long way home' - not really into doing it when it's getting dark out.
So just riding to and from work isn't as good; but it's still pretty damn good!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Well FML. I've had all week off (mandatory use of PTO). Painted the master bedroom and bathroom on Monday-Wednesday. Installed some apes on my buddies HD yesterday evening. Today, my dad came over to help me with a project I've been wanting to do for a couple years. Built a 6" deep, 58"x24" drawer under my workbench for extra storage. Put a pork butt on the Pit Boss this morning. Day was going great until..... lost track of time and the smoker ran out of pellets and cooled to ambient. Filled it and re-fired without cleaning it out. Go back a little later and it's at 550 and on fire. A little crispy on the outside, but I moved it to the over and letting the Pit Boss burn off. Hopefully it's not ruined. Then, my tires got delivered. Cool! Immediately pull out the phone and call Commoto. TD is sold out as of last night.

The good news is that I got to spend some QT with my dad and the drawer turned out great. But FAK the rest of today....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was making some smothered pork chops and just finished bringing everything to a boil and planned to simmer for an hour. I put my lid back on that must have been sitting too close to the flame cause after about 20 seconds, when the condensation hit it, it shatters! All the glass straight into the dish...
looks like it's carry out tonight kids... :(

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Morning. It's Friday and the honey-do list is almost completely done. If the sun comes out I think I'll cut the grass. I have a few pieces of art to hang for the wife and I'm going to mount my new tires. That way i can feel good about doing nothing for the weekend.......

·
Registered
549 Posts
I need a new rear tire, I’m kind of shopping as we speak for a deal, I feel like it’s way too soon i just bOught It in late August I used a Shinko to save a few bucks and although I really did not keep a good record of how many miles I put on the tire and we had a mild winter i did get some ride time in I know I just did not get enuff life Out of it to justify buying a shinko again! although I should probably buy a pair(front and back) my front tire has plenty of life left still... any way I’m looking for a decent deal on 190 50 17 .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Morning everyone. A buddy of mine came over yesterday after work and we ended up drinking till 2am! It’s been a long while since I drank like that but before we got to inebriated I managed to get my harness on and the fairings all back on. I’m still having the right turn signal issue flashing fast front and back and my speedometer still reading 0mph. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good Morning all,
Go to bottom TL/DR for the short version.

I rode to work yesterday, and one of my co workers was saying he has seen so many 'road Kill' deer on the road lately, and I should be careful. I have too, and I was telling him that's another reason I rarely ride at night, especially in the country side. So I just start out to go home the 'short way', and it it's getting dusky out- you could still see distance though.
So I blast down the entrance ramp to get on the highway to go home. Warp speed hyperspace stuff, then immediately throttle off, light braking and get on the highway doing about 80 in a 65. Move over to the left lane to pass a small sedan in the right lane. I haven't gone 100yds/meters, when out of nowhere (I love that term- it came from somewhere, right?), anyways, from the median, I see this SMALL fawn deer! It was trying to walk/trot across the highway- RIGHT in front of me! Without even thinking about it, my reflexes push hard on the left bar so I move left towards the median some. The fawn narrowly get past me on my right- had to be millimeters clearance! The car I had just passed also missed it because it went to the right of me, and the left of that car.
This was a really small fawn, I don't think it would have taken me down, but would have left marks, maybe broken fender mounts, etc.
NO one was behind me so I threw my arms in the air Thanking God that he had me miss this deer/little fawn.
Going home, eyes peeled for deer, etc, ti's starting to begin to get dark out.
I decided to take a route thru town that goes by the 'cruiser' area of town, to see if anyone/cars/bikes were out.
From the median again- I see this flash of fur, and I narrowly miss it again! I was going about 45mph that time.
From the small flash I saw, from the colors, I think it was actually a Domestic house type cat.
Whew- missed that one too!
So the rest of the way home where I often see deer, etc. I was riding SLOW, tail between my legs.
I've experienced some life changing traumatic injury events in several times in my life, and they have happened in the month of MAY. I'm really trying to watch out these days, especially in the month of May.

TL/DR- I missed a little deer yesterday afternoon.

Stay safe everyone, watch out for those deer

2261 - 2280 of 2324 Posts