Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2324 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Once sun sets watch out when you're touring.

West Virginia you can see deer in broad daylight. I wonder if people even hunt there.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Picked up my Clutch fix parts.
Edged and mowed the grass,
Changed out a O2 sensor on my old v8 Explorer.

About to go on a spirited ride to hit some twisties.
And watching at all deer crossings!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad you missed the deer. Regardless of size, it's unpleasant.

I spent a couple hours trying to dig a broken bolt out of an engine case on that project bike. Dumb fuck (not sure who dumb fuck actually is, someone that worked on this bike previously) managed to break off a bolt while tightening the stator case on. I'm hoping the Milwaulkee M18 hammer drill goes on sale this weekend so I can just drill that bitch out in a timely fashion. The little drill I have now would take forever and a day.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
The M18s are a great line. You aren;t using the hammer setting on aluminum though right? Not that I think you are an idiot, just that I have seen it done and it is not pretty.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Glad you missed the deer. Regardless of size, it's unpleasant.

I spent a couple hours trying to dig a broken bolt out of an engine case on that project bike. Dumb fuck (not sure who dumb fuck actually is, someone that worked on this bike previously) managed to break off a bolt while tightening the stator case on. I'm hoping the Milwaulkee M18 hammer drill goes on sale this weekend so I can just drill that bitch out in a timely fashion. The little drill I have now would take forever and a day.
I am a huge Milwaukee tool guy , I own about 40 of there power tools, also a few hand tools. They are the best bang for your buck in any Field but in my opinion in the mechanics world they are currently hands down the best power tool company available and best of all they continue too innovate Not to mention the warranty and customer service is outstanding! M18 and m12 fuel tools I’d recommend to anyone.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just finally ordered my cam chain tensioner from amazon, I decided to go with a manual one. I also ordered a rear tire while I was at it. I decided to go with a Pirelli angel st it seemed like the best bang for your buck. 111$ and I did some reading up on them before choosing a tire and I could not find a bad review.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just finally ordered my cam chain tensioner from amazon, I decided to go with a manual one. I also ordered a rear tire while I was at it. I decided to go with a Pirelli angel st it seemed like the best bang for your buck. 111$ and I did some reading up on them before choosing a tire and I could not find a bad review.
I just hate waiting for parts ship time is about a week I’m normally a walk into a store and buy it type of guy so I can begin to take it apart and start to fix the issue ASAP but the tensioner I could not find in stock at a local stealership and the tire I would imagine I saved atleast 50$ maybe more.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So I’m a little bitter I just got done telling you I ordered a rear tire pirelli angel from amazon and as I continue to scroll my phone I found summit racing apparently has a sale or is clearing out tires . Pirelli diablos are 109$ currently

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
After my around the house chores yesterday. A good friend on his ZX 6R and me and my Gix went for an awesome twisty ride at 5:15 PM. On my usual roads I do west of town. It was awesome. Low traffic. No cops. Great weather. Great road surface. No issues. On the way back to town I heard about this meeting spot so I stopped by or they have it all these custom cars and custom bikes and show cars, Motorcycles, etc.

Oh yeah, and no near miss or hit deer.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
The M18s are a great line. You aren;t using the hammer setting on aluminum though right? Not that I think you are an idiot, just that I have seen it done and it is not pretty.
I've never used a hammer drill before. I had to drill some concrete once and REALLY wished I'd had one. A 10 minute job was 3 hours with a concrete auger in a normal drill.

That being said, I've never heard not use hammer setting on aluminum. I believe you, but I'm curious why not?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Can you drill the inside of the bolt out and put in an easy out and remove it that way? It usually works.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Our red maple finally got all its leaves and looking good.-Just thought I’d share

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
I've never used a hammer drill before. I had to drill some concrete once and REALLY wished I'd had one. A 10 minute job was 3 hours with a concrete auger in a normal drill.

That being said, I've never heard not use hammer setting on aluminum. I believe you, but I'm curious why not?
The hammer setting is for concrete and designed for the concrete bit. The concrete bit is simply a chisel and each blow of the hammer chips out a line...each rotation chips out successive lines to make a hole....a very rough hole. Aluminum is soft and the bit used is designed to cut away a ribbon of material from the bottom of the hole to give you a nice smooth cut. Same goes for steel or wood. On wood use a higher speed, on metal use a cutting oil and a slower speed. WD 40 will work, I typically use motor oil if I don't have any actual cutting oil. It cools and lubricates the bit and the chip it is cutting keeping it sharper longer.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I had a hammer drill at work but it was just medium duty.
one time I had to drill through a brick wall that was like six brick thick in a very old house for gas line.
I rented a Hildi with the bit.
It was a monster. Went through it like butter.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Can you drill the inside of the bolt out and put in an easy out and remove it that way? It usually works.
That is now the plan. I tried heat and vice grips, but I can't get a good grip. So now it's time to drill out the middle.

The hammer setting is for concrete and designed for the concrete bit. The concrete bit is simply a chisel and each blow of the hammer chips out a line...each rotation chips out successive lines to make a hole....a very rough hole. Aluminum is soft and the bit used is designed to cut away a ribbon of material from the bottom of the hole to give you a nice smooth cut. Same goes for steel or wood. On wood use a higher speed, on metal use a cutting oil and a slower speed. WD 40 will work, I typically use motor oil if I don't have any actual cutting oil. It cools and lubricates the bit and the chip it is cutting keeping it sharper longer.
I found a great kit at a good price! So when you say it isn't pretty, you mean it doesn't cut well, not "it's going to fucking explode like a porous grinding wheel that's full of aluminum"?

Also, this is a pretty wicked deal. It's the top of the line Milwaukee hammer drill plus impact and two batteries. Took me a few hours to find!

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Surge Impact Driver/Hammer Drill Combo Kit (2-Tool) with 2-Batteries-2999-22CX - The Home Depot

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is now the plan. I tried heat and vice grips, but I can't get a good grip. So now it's time to drill out the middle.

I found a great kit at a good price! So when you say it isn't pretty, you mean it doesn't cut well, not "it's going to fucking explode like a porous grinding wheel that's full of aluminum"?

Also, this is a pretty wicked deal. It's the top of the line Milwaukee hammer drill plus impact and two batteries. Took me a few hours to find!

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Surge Impact Driver/Hammer Drill Combo Kit (2-Tool) with 2-Batteries-2999-22CX - The Home Depot
The better deal in store rite now online it’s 5 or 550$ but in store currently it’s 399$ , 2997-23. The 2999-22 has the surge impact, it’s not as powerful as the regular fuel impact and is also larger In physical size, the only benefit To the surge IS if your a contractor and your driving a ton of screws all day it’s slightly quieter. I’d rather have the faster more powerful impact driver personally

·
Registered
549 Posts

If you drill out the broken bolt a little you should be able to use a easy out to finish the job,

·
Registered
549 Posts

2997-23 Not only includes the upgraded impact driver also includes A 200$ sawsaw.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts

Saying the cutting surfaces of the two drill types are different. You want to cut a ribbon off the bottom of the hole so no hammer. On the hammer setting it is going to bounce around before it gets a chance to get a good cutting going. The Hammer rated drills are usually beefed up a bit through the body and bearings and more powerful so a good choice, you just don;t need the hammer function for aluminum. You have a great tool there.

2281 - 2300 of 2324 Posts