Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2324 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Saying the cutting surfaces of the two drill types are different. You want to cut a ribbon off the bottom of the hole so no hammer. On the hammer setting it is going to bounce around before it gets a chance to get a good cutting going. The Hammer rated drills are usually beefed up a bit through the body and bearings and more powerful so a good choice, you just don;t need the hammer function for aluminum. You have a great tool there.
Gotcha. Drilled that bolt out nice and easy. But dumb fuck REALLLLLLY slammed that bitch in there. Easy out actually just machined more out instead of pulling the damn bolt out. So I'll have to drill the hole out and replace with helicoil. I didn't realize how many tools I didn't have until I started having to dig this broken bolt out. Makes me wonder the last time I broke a bolt... it's been years! Point and case, I don't have any of the bolt extraction tools. Hell, I had to go buy a set of EZ-out's.

Thanks for the tip Paul, wish I would have posted here before I went to the store. Oh well!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good morning,
As I sit on my front porch I was startled by the sound of a wild turkey. Then about 10 minutes later, still sitting on my front porch I’ll look over and see some deer. Oh dear
9F150CAD-5829-4DF1-9F77-E9D7476020AE.jpeg
9F150CAD-5829-4DF1-9F77-E9D7476020AE.jpeg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Morning everyone, I got suckered into some work at a freinds bbq yesterday 🤦‍♂️! Grade his yard lay some seed manual labor on a Sunday what are friends for?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
SpeedOuts are pretty handy too. But, like you said if DF bottomed that bolt, it's probably time for a helicoil anyway. I actually bought a few left hand threaded cap screws. Bigger broken bolts get drilled, tapped, then one of these inserted. When it hits bottom, it'll usually spin out the broken one. Works pretty good until the threads on the broken bolt are pooched, or the tap breaks......

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Yesterday I had to buy a new mower. Mower shop was busy so it took a while. Got home and my buddy came over with a new beer release. Drank a couple of those and then it started to rain. Leave it to me to buy a mower and then can't even use it. And now I'm sitting here in the sun on my porch drinking coffee when I should be setting up my pit..... maybe I'll just put my leathers on to mow the yard.....

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you tap the easy out with a hammer it jolts the threads and can help loosen it up.
Yup, tried that too.

I did remember the last time I broke a bolt. A couple years ago I was working on my '91 MR2 Turbo. This car had been stored outside in Illinois for years so shit was not in ideal condition. I had sprung a high pressure coolant leak from a gooseneck coming out of the cylinder head and into one leg of a T joint. The o-ring at the gooseneck / T joint interface had given up the ghost. I tried to loosen the bolts on the flange, but one of them had chemically welded itself to the aluminum gooseneck. Likely from years of heat, coolant, and water mix. Snapped that M8 clean off. Instead of digging it out, I sanded it flat with the top of the T joint, drilled a M5 predrill and threaded that bitch for M5. Put 'er back together with a new o-ring and it worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Well the rain has arrived, again, in this part of Texas. Chased me right off the mower and out of the yard. Beats chasing bad bolt threads tho, I f'em up almost every time lol. Tis also why I try to be meticulous with torque values when tightening them down...if I don't strip 'em I ain't gotta fix 'em.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,204 Posts
Was a surprising 85F and sunny here today. We went form winter to summer in a week. Not complaining, happy for the warmth. Managed to get out tot he farm for a bit for a visit and walked a few of my favorite trails. Nice day to be outside for a change. Opened the pool last weekend and the water was 65F, it is up to 78F today. Hopefully with a couple more days of warm weather it will stay warm for the summer now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Rainy over cast start to the day, later on should be bright and sunny close too 80. I’m looking forward to some ride time!
im itching to get my parts I really hate ordering online for almost anything bc I hate the the ship time but I been researching and watching vids on how to do this cam tensioner, it looks like a pain in the ass but also a piece of cake job. I’ve never done one before. I wish it was here so I can take the bike apart already And reassemble .

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
No riding yesterday but did get to visit a desolate Farm to Market road on Sat. They should call it an Oil Field to Market road, has nearly zero residential just a few farmers and is mostly oil-pump pads with access to the road. For a look-see, Google Map the west end of FM 2625 Marshall TX. First run was south & eastward from the turn off of FM 968 south of Hallsville then a turnaround back to the west. I may or may not have hit 170 indicated on the most desolate section, then a few minutes later when headed north on 450 toward Hallsville got lit-up by Po-Po. Thought he was going to pull me over but then he turned his lights off & waved me by. By that time I was, thankfully, well away from the speed zone & back down to only 10 above the limit. Got a good closeup view of his logo'd black SUV on the GoPro but the light-up it isn't nearly a visible as it was live & local. I did not get a ticket or pulled-over and kept it to docile spirited riding the rest of the time on the country road twisties to the north & west of Hallsville.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Seeing disco lights after playing around at 170 will definitely give you the brown ring twitch. You got lucky there.

Winchester, I hope you are feeling ok now? Let us know, maybe with some details of your actual symptoms?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yesterday I had some disco lights of my own , I had to be in the 170 range I’m glad I’m not the only one that gets them I thought it was a rude indication I was getting old. But I for the most part never truly know for sure my speed I guesstimate but past 100 mph who the hell cares your exact speed. People ask all the time what the fastest you ever gone or what’s your bike top out at , I truly try hard not to look down at the speedo when going that fast I have glimpsed the 180’s before it not often I’m More focused on the road Than I am my exact speed! It’s kind of nuts I believe my k6 1k besides a slip on is stock, I’ve also read top speed 186 is in the computer I’m sure I’ve exceeded it the ecm must be flashed but 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yesterday I had some disco lights of my own , I had to be in the 170 range I’m glad I’m not the only one that gets them I thought it was a rude indication I was getting old. But I for the most part never truly know for sure my speed I guesstimate but past 100 mph who the hell cares your exact speed. People ask all the time what the fastest you ever gone or what’s your bike top out at , I truly try hard not to look down at the speedo when going that fast I have glimpsed the 180’s before it not often I’m More focused on the road Than I am my exact speed! It’s kind of nuts I believe my k6 1k besides a slip on is stock, I’ve also read top speed 186 is in the computer I’m sure I’ve exceeded it the ecm must be flashed but 🤷🏼‍♂️
Nice.
Your K6 Liter will definitely hit the top speed speedo without a speedo healer even stock. Ot stock w/ a slip on. It would most lilkely also hit the 186 thing WITH a speedo healer too in good conditions, even w/o a ECU flash. These bikes are pretty damn fast.

Totally agree with the 'not looking down much' while going those speeds too.

I went on my usual twisty country road spirited ride yesterday after my Holiday Family Grill/Dinner. No Po-Po lights for me though!

Happy Tuesday to all.

WB- Interested to hear about your results too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My '95 750 tops out at 160 with the stock gearing. I have only done it twice. No steering damper, and smooth as ice. I won't claim it to be the smartest thing I've done, but somethings you just have to know... Typically when I'm feeling stupid, I will wring it out to about 120-130, and back off of it. It's the thrill of the drag that gets me. Just love it...

2301 - 2320 of 2324 Posts