Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1743 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Our shelter-in-place mandate was issued as being "voluntary" and came with statements such as "We are counting on our citizens and hope everyone will comply" and "There are potential fines and jail-time for those who will not." So yes, it is 100% completely voluntary <sarc>

I am also in the higher risk group, having survived AML & a bone-marrow transplant back in 2009.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Freedom is seen differently here in Canada. Not sure if it is better or worse or just different. The constitution is rarely a thought for most unless you are Inuit or First Nations. The United States fought for their freedom and have every right to defend it as such, we waited a couple hundred years and just asked for it. Maybe that's why we don't really guard our constitution like our Brothers south of the 49th. I envy your patriotism and wish Canadians were as strongly involved in the political system. Here patriotism is centered on culture, we are fiercely proud of who we are, our way of life, and the land we live in. There is some apathy towards the political process though. As long as we have the right to drink beer and own hockey (of course we own hockey Tin...don't be silly) we are probably gonna be pretty passive.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
There's a fine line between being free and socially responsible. Take for example these kids on spring break saying "if I get Corona, I get it". They were self important twits. They should be free to be exactly that too. Ideally, we want people to say "you know, I don't need to go to the beach" and then not go. People obviously aren't capable of making these decisions, so government steps in and exerts authority...... which they have because these twits also comply. People like me though, make good decisions to protect themselves or others. Right now, I wouldn't choose to go sit in a restaurant or movie theater. But I also don't like the government saying even if I want to, I can't.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Our shelter-in-place mandate was issued as being "voluntary" and came with statements such as "We are counting on our citizens and hope everyone will comply" and "There are potential fines and jail-time for those who will not." So yes, it is 100% completely voluntary <sarc>

I am also in the higher risk group, having survived AML & a bone-marrow transplant back in 2009.
That is perfect. The local government should give good guidance and lead. I am one of the 80-90% that will act on good advice.
The Buncombe County commission order suspends non-emergency dental services, surgical operations and meetings of ANY two people unless they deem it necessary. They also banned all religious gatherings. These orders are backed up by a 2nd degree misdemeanor charge if you disobey. That is what upsets me. Here is the order if you want to read it.

Attachments

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
My interpretation of Section 9 (iii) would allow recreational motorcycle rides. Besides, you have an airport at your disposal, Can you not make a circuit there? A few hot laps right in your back yard would be a solid way to pass the time. I imagine there are some trails too the sumo would enjoy. Are you allowed to fly or have they shut down air traffic?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
That is perfect. The local government should give good guidance and lead. I am one of the 80-90% that will act on good advice.
The Buncombe County commission order suspends non-emergency dental services, surgical operations and meetings of ANY two people unless they deem it necessary. They also banned all religious gatherings. These orders are backed up by a 2nd degree misdemeanor charge if you disobey. That is what upsets me. Here is the order if you want to read it.
Ours came via TV broadcast but I’m sure we also have the Where As wording, and I fall into section 9-b-ii & iii in yours. Many of the requirements listed in that document were already being done voluntarily by many local orgs before the mandate was issued, and those who were not were more the exception than the majority.

I am also voluntarily complying, not so much for my own protection as it is for others. On the interactive COVID-19 world map (seen here) it is easy to see that many of the positive cases have followed the interstates & major highways, so limiting non-essential travel is just smart. I have two days off to mow the swamp but had planned to attend today’s lunchtime retirement planned for two of our employees. I don’t know if they will cancel it (most likely) but I gave notice that my wife & I will not be attending after all but they could keep the $40 I put in the pot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our stay at home order mentions it is technically a second degree misdemeanor if violated but the governor did mention that law enforcement is not going to really be out stopping people. There are also common sense exceptions like grocery store, gas station trips ect. We were all given a paper at work Monday to carry with us in our car that explains our work in considered essential and are allowed to be out. Starting next week they are shortening shifts to 7.5 hrs so there is no overlap as a social distancing practice. We also are going to have to have our temperature taken when we walk in the door to be allowed to stay at work. This is definitely a crazy thing that's happening and unlike anything I ever thought I would experience in my lifetime.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You slough off "unconstitutional" so casually. This will end or become part of our lives as other viruses have, but our freedoms are much harder to regain.

If you read my post, I don't disagree that they are good measures and government should be issuing guidance, I do fear every two bit politician that proclamates rules when we did not grant them the authority.

BTW, I am in that higher risk age group.
Don't get me wrong, I do cherish my freedom & do think about losing it. But the only reason you can permanently lose them is if you allow politicians to take them. I follow politics & know right off the bat who will infringe on my rights. Then I let my voice be heard by going to the voting booth & vote out corrupt individuals.

There's no vaccine for this one & that's the only option we have. We can regain our freedom later. Countries like Japan, Korea & Thailand did well considering they're next door to the outbreak.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Freedoms in our country are measured by how much the government can make by taking them away from us. I am a grown man, and can climb onto a 2 wheeled missile, without a helmet, in shorts, no shirt, or even SHOES. That's legal... But I can't drive my car down the street without a seat belt. I just don't understand it. Most of our laws are so ridiculous, you have to wonder what kind of people are we really allowing to run our country.

This particular situation is different though. They obviously HAVE to step in, because people are too stupid to stay home to protect themselves. I quit watching the news because I can't take being reminded everyday how stupid people can be anymore.

Ya had to get me started... Rant over. o_O

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
It is frustrating, maybe a good rant is what is needed.

I wanna thank you guys for keeping this in the context of national or public culture and not making political references. It is a topic we need to be able to discuss and I don;t want to shut it down, particularly in this thread. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Agreed. Side of the aisle is not in question here. Free people shouldn't need government to exert authority they don't have to prevent people from doing something they shouldn't do.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I’m no medical expert but from what I’ve read, the main problem with COVID-19 is that you can be a carrier/infectious with NO symptoms whatsoever. This is one reason why it’s so important to keep your distance from everyone and why self isolation is so important.

Bill Gates did a TED talk about 5 years ago and it makes really interesting watching.

I understand that the Americans are fiercely protective over their constitution and rightly so. However, I also think that the role of government is to make decisions in time of crisis to protect their citizens. If there is an order to stay at home even if it is a recommendation rather than an absolute must, it’s to protect all citizens. It’s not just about the individual but everyone they may come in contact with. Others may not have the immunity or are at more risk than yourselves.

Countries like Singapore and South Korea responded to this global crisis very quickly and imposed very harsh restrictions on movement of people. From the statistics I’ve seen, it seems that these two countries may come out of this mess with less deaths per capita and more quickly than everyone else.

Here in Australia, the federal and all but one state government have made a huge error in allowing schools to remain open. They have the technology for remote classes and fortunately my ex is making my son attend school electronically. Just because children “seem” to be less susceptible to catching the virus isn’t a good enough justification in my personal and non medically trained view to let them gather in crowds in close range of each other (in classrooms etc). They could just end up being carriers of the virus which could be catastrophic.

Pretty much every business here is on mandatory shutdown unless it’s providing or supplying an essential service. I predict that after this passes, there will be a large number of businesses that won’t be around anymore. All non essential travel is banned and the airlines have stood down (temporarily at this stage) 90% of their staff. When I go into town to buy food, the place is eerily quiet. My friends in Sydney tell me that everywhere is still busy and parks are full of families playing. They are supposed to be closed. It’s behavior of the stupid that will keep this going longer than it need to.

Let’s all get through this hard time together, whatever it takes, and on the other side look forward to enjoying the freedoms we all are accustomed to knowing we are not hurting or killing our neighbors.

I don’t aim or wish to offend anyone with my comments. I have never lived in the USA and have only enjoyed short periods of time there, so far.

Sorry for the long rant. I guess I just needed to offload what’s been on my mind. Hope y’all don’t mind.

Be safe, healthy and look after each other :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Oz, your rant is spot on. The regulars in this thread are kinda like family to me and even though they may be 100's or 10000's of miles away and we have never met I am aware of their day to day lives and I think having access to that here is insight I would never have anywhere else. Hell, I talk to all a Y'all more than I talk to my Momma. I've been to Texas but don't understand what it is like to live there. Never been to North Carolina or Australia but both are places I would like to go. To be honest, having a whiskey on WB's porch is on my bucket list, the dude is just too cool to pass that up. I get to piece together a picture of the world through this thread and the clowns that post here that I don't take for granted. This is a global crisis and as a global community it should be discussed. I am sure my Brothers in the US will uphold the freedom of speech aspect.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Let’s all get through this hard time together, whatever it takes, and on the other side look forward to enjoying the freedoms we all are accustomed to knowing we are not hurting or killing our neighbors.

I don’t aim or wish to offend anyone with my comments. I have never lived in the USA and have only enjoyed short periods of time there, so far.
Not a thing in the world wrong with any of that & can't imagine why it would offend anyone with any sense. If we can't at least try to help one another if we can, then what are we good for in the first place?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Shifting to a bigger gear-

13X Forums 'Dungeon' has been shut down,

So, for a place to vent, most of the members that used it are now over on

beebsdungeon.boards.net

It's not Spam or a virus, don't worry. Yes this is Todd sharing this with ya'll, in case you were interested. Cool place to hang out.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Speaking of things like rants, and social distancing, and second-amendment rights, and all that: after listening to the wife come home and bitch, gripe, moan & groan about her job for 3-4 hours, daily, or never ceasing to talk about everything she’s watching, reading or listening to, somebody, ANYBODY, please, just friggin’ shoot me. Bang! Right between the eyes!

I’ve already told her, politely and gently of course “baby, we spend all day at work so I don’t want to come home to talk about it the rest of the night” but does she listen? Noooo, of course not.

lol, rant over

1641 - 1660 of 1743 Posts