Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall, heres the deal.

I changed the oil in my 2005 gs500f for the first time a few days ago. I followed all the directions in the owners manual. The following day, i went to turn the bike on, it seemed to stuggle for a little bit, but it finally turn on. Later that day, i went to go on another bike ride. Again it struggled, but I got it going. I was riding down the road when it just turned off on me. I tried to start it up again, but it wouldnt. It would just click, then it stopped rolling over.

Now i know almost nothing about motorcycles, but i'm thinking I might have over filled the bike with oil, and somehow oil got to the spark plugs. Would this make sense. Like i said, i know almost nothing about motorycycles, so i dont really know how to go by getting the spark plugs out. Does it sound like oil in the sparkplugs could be the problem? How can i find out, and what should i do to fix it. If worse comes to worse, i can always send it to the shop, but I want to learn, so if you guys can help, i'd really appreciate it. Thanks

ps... sorry about the long thread!!

Oh and i got to the air filter, and found it had some oil in it. So i got a new one and replaced it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The owners manual said 3 quarts. I put 3 quarts in. When I found oil in the air filter, i drained about a quarter to a half a quart of oil from the bike this morning. When I first drained the oil out of the bike, only about 2 and a half quarts drained out. So yea i'm thinking i over filled it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so i took the sparkplugs out and hit the starter button. It sounded fine. Once I put the spark plugs back in, it wouldnt even roll over. So i'm going to get some new spark plugs and see if that'll do the trick.

When I first took the spark plugs out they werent fouled up at all, so maybe its just time to replace them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a GS500 and the oil change was less than 3qt. You are better off filling with oil until the dipstick or sight glass indicates full, then running the engine for a few seconds to fill the new filter with oil, and then topping off the oil.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bad spark plugs wont stop the motor from turning over. They would keep the bike from firing, but the starter would still turn the motor over with bad plugs in it. Sounds electrical to me. Posibly a weak battery. With the spark plugs in the starter has to work against the compression of the motor. Without the plugs there is no compression and the starter can turn the motor much easier.

I dont think 3qt would be enough to cause any problems either. Sure it may be a little to much, but probably not enough to cause any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.