Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just did an oil change on my 05 Gsxr 600 about a month ago and this oil has maybe 400-500 miles on it and it’s already black. I use motul 300v 10w-40 oil with a k&n filter. I know the bike went a really long time (~2500 miles) without a change, is this normal or is it just old oil? Thank you guys

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Should still be good. But if it bothers you, change it. Always good w/ new blood in it.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,101 Posts
If the previous oil was really fouled, it is pretty normal for the new oil to darken up faster, as it washes all the previous gunk out of all the nooks and crannies. If it were mine, I would change it, just to know I got all of that old crap out of it.

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
100 Posts
2500 miles is a really long time??? I find Motul turns darker earlier than other oils I’ve used. Doesn’t mean it’s past oil change time. You can get a complete Ecstar oil change kit on Amazon if you’re that bothered by it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tbh I’m kinda just guessing how long it went without one I just know it was about a year and a half but I wasn’t driving it all that much. And that is sitting through 2 winters as well before being changed. And yea Ik that’s a while but that was when I first got the bike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello, I just did an oil change on my 05 Gsxr 600 about a month ago and this oil has maybe 400-500 miles on it and it’s already black. I use motul 300v 10w-40 oil with a k&n filter. I know the bike went a really long time (~2500 miles) without a change, is this normal or is it just old oil? Thank you guys
The somewhat neglected 750 I have, the oil was black, changed the oil and filter, clean, then black again. Changed the oil a second time, left the filter, clean, then .. OK ish now slightly dark but not black. I will do a further oil and filter after I have done valve adjustments, and I am expecting the oil will come up clean after that.

This can be quite normal in a machine that might not have received perfect treatment before. Just invest in more oil and keep flushing it through. I believe it is worse (and one should expect it to be worse) than car engines because older clutches will disperse the friction material in the oil in increasing quantities.

You might notice that the oil drain is accessible without removing the fairings, whereas the filter requires removal. This can only mean that the engineering of the machine was such that oil changes may be more frequent than filter changes. Much of the clutch debris will be caught quite readily by the filter being long and fibrous, and will actually add to the filter's performance (up to a point, of course, not to be left so long as for it to become blocked).

In short, I'd be pretty sure all is well, just keep flushing new oil through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts