Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently purchased a 2006 Gsxr 600 with 16000 miles on it. I changed the spark plug today and noticed oil on the threads. Am I right to suspect valve gasket? I put my new plugs in and started it up and removed it again to show you how much oil is on them. As you can tell by the images most of the oil off the old plugs has been dried up by the tissue. The first image is of the new spark plug the rest are the old ones
Tire Hand Automotive tire Finger Automotive lighting

Hand Wood Finger Nail Household hardware
Camera accessory Nickel Auto part Metal Cameras & optics

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
Welcome. I moved this to the tech section for you.

I mostly see oil/carbon deposits which could be some oil consumption or running rich. The good part is the center ceramics have a nice color and look good.

If it was my bike, I'd put the new plugs in a run it.

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
I agree with John, that is not really enough of a concern for me to start checking gaskets. How is the bike being ridden? Is it mostly city riding or is it out on the highway a fair bit?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have recently purchased a 2006 Gsxr 600 with 16000 miles on it. I changed the spark plugs today and noticed oil on them. Am I right to suspect valve gasket? I put my new plugs in and started it up and removed it again to show you how much oil is on them. As you can tell by the images most of the oil off the old plugs has been dried up by the tissue. The first image is of the new spark plug the rest are the old ones View attachment 296365
View attachment 296362 View attachment 296363
Hey there Billy,

The lower photo is 4 similar plugs from an engine that's running a little rich.
I don't see any 'oil'.
No, a valve cover gasket can leak oil, but NOT into the combustion chamber, so no, that's not caused by a valve cover gasket.
It's caused by things such as: a dirty air cleaner, an engine with a slightly rich A/F ratio- from one or more reasons.

Like John said, new plugs and ride/run it for a while- like weeks to months. If it runs OK, fine.
Check the air cleaner and clean/replace it if needed too.

Post an intro post with pics of your bike, your guns, your wife, etc.
Ok, maybe just the bike LOL.

Oh yeah, make sure you get real spark plugs like NGK, etc. Not counterfeit knock offs- that look almost exactly the same too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I mostly see oil/carbon deposits which could be some oil consumption or running rich. The good part is the center ceramics have a nice color and look good.

Hey there Billy,

The lower photo is 4 similar plugs from an engine that's running a little rich.
I don't see any 'oil'.
No, a valve cover gasket can leak oil, but NOT into the combustion chamber, so no, that's not caused by a valve cover gasket.
It's caused by things such as: a dirty air cleaner, an engine with a slightly rich A/F ratio- from one or more reasons.

Like John said, new plugs and ride/run it for a while- like weeks to months. If it runs OK, fine.
Check the air cleaner and clean/replace it if needed too.

Post an intro post with pics of your bike, your guns, your wife, etc.
Ok, maybe just the bike LOL.

Oh yeah, make sure you get real spark plugs like NGK, etc. Not counterfeit knock offs- that look almost exactly the same too.
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the reply.
The air filter is dirty and I have a new one ordered. It does smell of fuel so this could be why. The sparks had more fluid on when I took them out rather than what is shown on the images. On the tissue it looks brown like oil. The bike runs fine.
I will leave them in and monitor them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with John, that is not really enough of a concern for me to start checking gaskets. How is the bike being ridden? Is it mostly city riding or is it out on the highway a fair bit?
Hi there.
I have only had it a few weeks. I think it was used for more of a weekend bike by the previous owner And it will be the same for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
I thought the OP meant valve seals when he said "valve gasket" but it could be either one.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Sorry for the confusion I meant this gasket?

View attachment 296370
If those leak, it get on the head, cylinder, etc. On the outside, or maybe even in the spark plug tunnels.
It can't get in the combustion chamber from there.

'You can't get there from here' LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If those leak, it get on the head, cylinder, etc. On the outside, or maybe even in the spark plug tunnels.
It can't get in the combustion chamber from there.

'You can't get there from here' LOL
It's just everywhere I'm looking online say that the normal reason for oil on the threads is the gaskets. I know its running rich but I'm slightly concerned about the oil on the threads albeit a small amount

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
It's just everywhere I'm looking online say that the normal reason for oil on the threads is the gaskets. I know its running rich but I'm slightly concerned about the oil on the threads albeit a small amount
Oh Ok. Actually, the threads should have some 'anti seize' put on them too. Just a dab will do.

Can you shine a light or camera down in there and look and see if it looks like there is much oil residue where the sparkplug and head meet then?

I looked again, that stuff ear the bottom/electrode looks normal to me.

You said the bike runs OK/well?
Then 'don't worry about it' LOL

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
FWIW, my '05 GSX-R1000 now has just over 32,500 miles on it! Runs great! Love it!

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
Are you using a lot of oil? Are you refilling it often?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh Ok. Actually, the threads should have some 'anti seize' put on them too. Just a dab will do.

Can you shine a light or camera down in there and look and see if it looks like there is much oil residue where the sparkplug and head meet then?

I looked again, that stuff ear the bottom/electrode looks normal to me.

You said the bike runs OK/well?
Then 'don't worry about it' LOL
Yeah I guess I'll start to worry when they are soaked and I am using alot of oil. I put tissue down there earlier and only little bits of oil showed up.
Water Liquid Fluid Wood Gas

Wheel Eye Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you using a lot of oil? Are you refilling it often?
The bike is pretty much in storage right now I am getting it ready service wise to start riding it early next year. The oil level looks fine. I start it up every few days and the oil level stays the same from what I have seen. Guess I will ride it and monitor it next year.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
I start it up every few days....
The bike is better off not being started if it not ridden enough to get it to full operating temperature.
Starting the bike for short periods just puts a lot of moisture in the engine promoting rust.
It is better to do a fresh oil and filter change, fill the tank, add fuel stabilizer then idle the bike for a few minutes to circulate things. Either a battery tender or remove the battery and charge it every month or so. The bike will be ready to go in the Spring.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
The bike is better off not being started if it not ridden enough to get it to full operating temperature.
Starting the bike for short periods just puts a lot of moisture in the engine promoting rust.
It is better to do a fresh oil and filter change, fill the tank, add fuel stabilizer then idle the bike for a few minutes to circulate things. Either a battery tender or remove the battery and charge it every month or so. The bike will be ready to go in the Spring.
And, if in freezing temps, make sure whatever anti/freeze coolant is adequate concentration to keep the coolant from freezing too!

Reactions: BillyH97

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Reactions: BillyH97

·
Registered
9 Posts

My thoughts exactly!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts