Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few ?'s.
I can look up all the requirements as I've already went thru a few.

My ?'s are:
  • I'm in SE WI, near Milwaukee. The 2 closest tracks are Blackhawk Farms, and COTA.
  • There are several companies out there, etc.
  • Which would you recommend, and which to avoid?

TIA

Todd

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
I don't know what is around you but I hope COTA is not "closest". I think there are two tracks in Michigan and isn't Road America not too far?

Check out sportbiketracktime.com, I think they are active in your area.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what is around you but I hope COTA is not "closest". I think there are two tracks in Michigan and isn't Road America not too far?

Check out sportbiketracktime.com, I think they are active in your area.
Oh yes, I meant Road America, not COTA. RA is just over an hour away.

Blackhawk around the same I think. I hear Blackhawk is more 'technical- more turns'? I'd do either one FS.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I messaged RA.
They suggest I go thru Sport bike track Day,, or Motovid?

I suppose either one of those are OK?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I found one May 12 at Blackhawk farms thru Motovid.com for $189.

I'm thinking I'm going to do this one.
I can surely wait until tomorrow to finalize it.
Anyone's thoughts?

I found Sport Bike Track Time at RA is $285; on 6/7/21
At Blackhawk is $215 on 07/11/21

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Go with Sportbike Track Time. Join them at Autobahn for a 3 day even over Memorial Day weekend. Or just one of those three days. STT beginner coaches are fantastic. Just over 100miles from you. Not bad.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yahoooo Todd! Finally getting out on track! Welcome to the addiction. Yeah, sport bike track time (STT) puts on a great trackday. I vote for them as well.

MidWest Trackday also runs at Blackhawk sometimes too.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Here's a neat little track finder I recently ran across. Don't know if it shows all the tracks but it does show all the ones I know of in Texas. COTA is $$$ compared to Cresson or MSR Houston. Closest ones to me (Cresson & Eagle Canyon) are about 3 hours one-way.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yahoooo Todd! Finally getting out on track! Welcome to the addiction. Yeah, sport bike track time (STT) puts on a great trackday. I vote for them as well.

MidWest Trackday also runs at Blackhawk sometimes too.
Midwest is going to run Putnam and NCM exclusively in 2021. I've wanted to go to Blackhawk, but I've gotten mixed reviews about it. I know Autobahn is a great facility and with STT you'd get some classroom time too. I think that's really important. Todd is a capable rider, which means he's either going to take to the track really fast, or he's going to have some bad habits that will need to be identified and worked out. STT coaching is really good for both. Just find a coach and say "this is my first trackday ever and I'd like help". Even as an advanced rider, I'll seek out a coach and talk about where I'm struggling and work with them for half a session. Coaches with other orgs don't give much feedback. STT coaches are just a cut above.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Here's a neat little track finder I recently ran across. Don't know if it shows all the tracks but it does show all the ones I know of in Texas. COTA is $$$ compared to Cresson or MSR Houston. Closest ones to me (Cresson & Eagle Canyon) are about 3 hours one-way.

Cool map but it is missing 4 tracks just in the area around western NC.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go with Sportbike Track Time. Join them at Autobahn for a 3 day even over Memorial Day weekend. Or just one of those three days. STT beginner coaches are fantastic. Just over 100miles from you. Not bad.
OK, all 3 tracks are about the same distance from me actually, give or take 20 or 30.

I would not have to take off work if I do the 5/30/21- A Sunday. at Autobahn.
I guess I'll also maybe get a membership? I didn't plan on getting new tires at the track, or for the event. It comes with free mounting and balamcing of Michelins. And the memebershop says if go down or have an unrepariable mechanical problem- you can get credit for the even on another?
I still have a lot left on this set of Pilot power 2's I think. Maybe no membership- that is a yearly thing too.
It says someone that is a member could get $20 referrall fee added to their account too!

Chuck, will you be attending that weekend at Autobahn, or anyone else reading this?
It says Sunday will be on the 'South course'?

I also planned on signing up for the intermediate group. I realize I'm a Novice, but feel I have lower intermediate skills now. (I study the hell out of good riding technique articles and videos, and always try to emulate good form also.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I looked at Autobahns' country Club Track site.
the south course- on 5/30/21, is about 0.5 miles longer and way more turns than their North course.
There is a full course, But I can't be there that day too. I don't think anyways. I have lots of PTO- but rarely ever use it.
For my budget, etc.- The one day event will be a good start to Track days for me.

I checked Google maps.

RA- 1 hr 20min.
Blackhawk 1hr 30 min
Autobahn- 2 hrs 5 min. This one will be about $20 in tolls too!, maybe more!

Like I said, about the same.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, just saw their rules, I'm not going to lie, it will be my first track day, I have to sign up for Novice- no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Also, just saw their rules, I'm not going to lie, it will be my first track day, I have to sign up for Novice- no problem.
As far as I know all the trackday groups make people start out in Novice/Beginner. The two groups I know of close to me do (Ridesmart and 3:16 Trackdays)

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Start in Novice. Don't let ego create a problem. I have seen people get bumped from Novice to intermediate on their first day. I've also seen a rookie sign up in Novice and take another rider out.

Believe me, I get the feeling. I won't be there memorial day weekend most likely. I'm doing the CCS school the first week of May. CCS requires you to go through every level. So I have a bit of that same feeling. I'm a track veteran with over a decade of track experience..... and I'm doing level 1. You have to be okay with starting slow and knowing that in doing so, you will be better off in the long run.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as I know all the trackday groups make people start out in Novice/Beginner. The two groups I know of close to me do (Ridesmart and 3:16 Trackdays)
Start in Novice. Don't let ego create a problem. I have seen people get bumped from Novice to intermediate on their first day. I've also seen a rookie sign up in Novice and take another rider out.

Believe me, I get the feeling. I won't be there memorial day weekend most likely. I'm doing the CCS school the first week of May. CCS requires you to go through every level. So I have a bit of that same feeling. I'm a track veteran with over a decade of track experience..... and I'm doing level 1. You have to be okay with starting slow and knowing that in doing so, you will be better off in the long run.
Thanks.

I have no problem starting and maybe ending the day in the novice group.
Nothing to prove. Lots of stuff to learn I'm sure.

Now I have to get it past my wife. I'm still trying to make her understand that this is WAY safer than some of the country roads I ride on a weekly basis during the riding season. WAY safer. I'll work on it.
It' also cheaper than one or more tickets getting caught on a 'spirited' ride too!

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
@Todd_Sails
All my local orgs require you start in novice also. There are a few exceptions where someone has ridden a bunch with other orgs but not for a first time track rider. Riding on the track is different and you will understand what I mean at the end of the day.

I tell new riders that the first few sessions will seem slow and might be frustrating as the coaches sort out who is who. Use these sessions to learn the track and lines and note the corner stations and run offs. If you remember that the coaches are almost always on a good line (but not the only line) you will pick it up quickly.
You will be going as fast as you want after lunch and the herd generally thins out later in the day as people get tired and pack up early.

I'm pretty sure that none of my local orgs do bumps before lunch. Even with that, few riders get a bump the first day. My guess is average is 2-3 track days to get a bump depending on the org.

The only real difference between the groups is the passing rules. There is no speed limit in Novice. :ROFLMAO:

Invite the wife to come along, she won't be the only family there.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best advice here is to leave it to the young bucks and dont destroy your body or your bike
Right,
No, it's a very doable item on my bucket list.

I'm sure I'm be somewhat a wee bit Whimpey, as I don't want to go down. It shouldn't be a problem in the novice group.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts