Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thank for the replies.
Yesterday was the Chinese New Year- Now Year of the Ox.
We had a traditional Chinese dinner last night with the whole family, etc.
I didn't want to bring it up to My quickly hot headed Asian wife (wonderful woman she is) last night.

I'm doing it either way.
It's a good/great decision vs. my normal pace and riding on my usual country twisties.
I know it's a good decision, that's why I'm going to do it either way.

Todd

Reactions: Serpent and koth442

·
Administrator
5,369 Posts
You will love it. My first TD I was In the novice group quickly found out I was much much faster than all of them. So the next one switched to the intermediate group where I was In the middle of the pack I did probably a year and a half there then got bumped to the fast guys. What I found out was that they were way more predictable and could and would hold their line in the corners. I’m old I would venture to say I’m the oldest one on here except for maybe one he retired a couple of years ago is the reason I say that. I retired 12/31/20. You will have a blast and it is addicting when I started I could get 4 days out of a set of slicks now I can get two days. I used to use about four gallons of gas now I go thru about eight. When I started I had one bike that I would tape up the mirrors head light tail light take the plate off pull the fuses for head and tail light. Now I have a street bike and a race bike that stays loaded in the van so all I have to do is throw some stuff in the cooler and head to the track. The van has a bed so I can go the the tracks that are far away the day before and stay the night instead of getting up at some ungodly hour and driving the day of the event. See what I mean. Once you start its a rabbit hole. Race bike and Street bike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, I FINALLY got around to discussing this wife my wife (wonderful woman she is) this morning when we had some time before we both went to work this morning.
I calmly explained my reasoning, and she stayed calm too. Some push back on the price- I told her it's under $200- cause they are often. And with the members discount I may get too.

So, today or tomorrow I'll be signing up for at least 2 or 3 of them this riding season I think. I'd like to get one at each of the 3 tracks nearest me. Blackhawk Farms, Autobahn Country Club, and Road America!
I think I'll go with STT- Sport bike Track Time, unless any of you think there is a better option for my first track day.
I'll probably do it tomorrow, when I'm here at work.

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
So, today or tomorrow I'll be signing up for at least 2 or 3 of them this riding season I think. I'd like to get one at each of the 3 tracks nearest me. Blackhawk Farms, Autobahn Country Club, and Road America!
I think I'll go with STT- Sport bike Track Time, unless any of you think there is a better option for my first track day.
I'll probably do it tomorrow, when I'm here at work.
I suggest you pick a track and ride it two or three times, you will make faster progress. STT is a good group in my area so I'm assuming they run a good show there also.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I suggest you pick a track and ride it two or three times, you will make faster progress. STT is a good group in my area so I'm assuming they run a good show there also.
Understood, but this way, I'll then know which track I feel more comfortable at, for returning for more track days! LOL

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK got my yearly membership, and also bought a Track Day on 5/30/21 at Autobahn in Joliet IL.!

Things should be thawed out by then, and I'm sure I will have done several rides by then.

Reactions: rv6john and koth442

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
OK got my yearly membership, and also bought a Track Day on 5/30/21 at Autobahn in Joliet IL.!

Things should be thawed out by then, and I'm sure I will have done several rides by then.
This may be interesting for your new endeavor. I hope to be joining the addiction eventually, just wish the closest ones weren't three hours away!

W.O.T. TOPIC - 3:16 Trackdays

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
I'm a bit better with 2 tracks a bit over 2hrs away and 4 more in the 2-5 hour drive. Go 5-6 hours and I get 3 or 4 more.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Oh yeah, I thought about my clip on set up.
Now that my back and neck is doing well, I'm also going to go back to the clip ons UNDER the upper triple like itg should be!
I could anticipate 'tech' having a problem with that set up.
I'd be like- but it's been this way for a few years, it's fine, Yeah/naw- change it!
I don't plan to work on a thing during my track day. For the Novice group 1st track day, I shouldn't have to.
That's early riding season and my tires went on last season. Chain/Sprockets etc. all good.
I want to focus on learning, relaxing, etc., Not having to work on anything to do the track day.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Those that have done track days w/o a dedicated track bike,

Will/does that Blue painter tape work OK for taping thing up?
It seems it would clean up easily too?

·
Super Moderator
9,547 Posts
Those that have done track days w/o a dedicated track bike,

Will/does that Blue painter tape work OK for taping thing up?
It seems it would clean up easily too?
Yes, the painter's tape works great.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Just pull the fuses to the lights too. Heat and the glue on the tape makes a mess. Much easier to clean up without the heat.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts