Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Last bit of advise. If you're not 100% ready 2 days ahead of your departure, you're doing it wrong. The only thing I do the day before is go buy my food so I have fresh fruit.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,852 Posts
Got to race at Road America - beautiful place. Broke my back at Blackhawk but not the track's fault. Really fun, technical place.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Got to race at Road America - beautiful place. Broke my back at Blackhawk but not the track's fault. Really fun, technical place.
I'm hoping the injury at Blackhawk was long ago and you're well healed.

Those other 2 tracks you mention complete the 3 tracks all w/in 2.25 hr drive from me.
I do plan to do those other 2 as well. At least one of them this season too w/ STT. I did buy the yearly membership, wo it pays to do a few to help defer the costs I feel. And, I'd like to try the other close tracks too.

·
Administrator
5,470 Posts
Go have a good time don’t ride above your abilities I’m far far from a young buck but I go ride with the fast guys and hold my own with them. Just remember ride at your skill set and you will have a good time and most likely be hooked. I have two bikes one dedicated to the track and one for the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I've been watching YouTubes of Autobahn South course. Looking at the course map too.
One of my goals is not to go down, especially starting off in novice.
I've still got over 2 months, I'll be ready.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
OK, I"ll be mounting a set of Bridestone S21's soon.
But IIRC, this is still a DOT tire, so I don't need any warmers, and I could actually just mount them a few days before my TD and they'll be good to go on the 'sessions' in Novice on my TD, right? Like even is this will be the first they're ridden on, right? I certainly won't be doing any 58degree cornering in my first TD, 1 session anyways.

TIA

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Correct you don't need warmers. However, I would want the peace of mind scrubbing the tires in before getting on the track. I don't think it's strictly necessary anymore, but it always messes with my head (without warmers anyway)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Correct you don't need warmers. However, I would want the peace of mind scrubbing the tires in before getting on the track. I don't think it's strictly necessary anymore, but it always messes with my head (without warmers anyway)
Thanks for the reply.
I was just thinking of the tire service AT the track and they go and ride them right away too! I'm sure those running slicks have warmers probably, but I'm pretty sure they have mount DOT's too, which would hit the track right away. I'm sure the rider may warm them up some though.

I was going to look into getting a set mounted there. IIRC- STT site states they have great prices with free mounting and balancing? I was wondering if that was on the bike or you take them off first?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You need to take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the tire guy. So long as your first 3 laps are slow & easy, you can scrub the tires in at the track. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that point.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
New tires and no warmers means you need to be careful with the throttle out of the corners for about 4-5 laps to let them scrub a bit. And no warmers always means a lap before you go full cowabunga.

Yes, you can take the bike over to the STS (sportbike tire service) guys and they'll take care of everything. I'm paranoid though, so I don't want bolts over/under torqued. But like I said before, if you're not 100% ready two days before, you're doing it wrong. I see guys roll their bikes off the trailers and start turning wrenches. I even saw a guy changing his oil one morning. WTF?!? You're going to hurry, you're going to anxious, you're going to miss something. Granted there are a few out there who've done this for years and don't care if they miss the first two sessions. I know guys who skip the first session always. Get the tires changed a couple weeks before you go. Ride them on the street for a little bit. Make sure they're not bleeding air, etc. Knowing your bike is ready is going to give you a ton of piece of mind for your first TD. You'll have enough going on in your head that you don't need to borrow any more worry. Go prepared. Go open minded. Go being ok with being slow. The first TD is about winning the headgame.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
New tires and no warmers means you need to be careful with the throttle out of the corners for about 4-5 laps to let them scrub a bit. And no warmers always means a lap before you go full cowabunga.

Yes, you can take the bike over to the STS (sportbike tire service) guys and they'll take care of everything. I'm paranoid though, so I don't want bolts over/under torqued. But like I said before, if you're not 100% ready two days before, you're doing it wrong. I see guys roll their bikes off the trailers and start turning wrenches. I even saw a guy changing his oil one morning. WTF?!? You're going to hurry, you're going to anxious, you're going to miss something. Granted there are a few out there who've done this for years and don't care if they miss the first two sessions. I know guys who skip the first session always. Get the tires changed a couple weeks before you go. Ride them on the street for a little bit. Make sure they're not bleeding air, etc. Knowing your bike is ready is going to give you a ton of piece of mind for your first TD. You'll have enough going on in your head that you don't need to borrow any more worry. Go prepared. Go open minded. Go being ok with being slow. The first TD is about winning the headgame.
That is a damn good post Sir.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
What Chuck said. I'm almost always there the evening before so set up and ready to go in the morning besides adjusting the tire pressures.

I bring tools, but hardly ever need them.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
You need to take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the tire guy. So long as your first 3 laps are slow & easy, you can scrub the tires in at the track. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that point.

Preach it Chuck. Well said.
What Chuck said. I'm almost always there the evening before so set up and ready to go in the morning besides adjusting the tire pressures.

I bring tools, but hardly ever need them.
Good morning to you all!

All your replies are excellent. Thank you chuck for your gifted and skilled words too.
In life, I always try and plan ahead. Like when I'd race and/or sail catamarans, I was always prepared ahead of time, boat and rigging ready, knew the area, checked the winds forecast, etc.
It's great advice, and I'm doing that already. Not only do I keep my Gix in great shape, but I'll be re-checking all the nuts and bolts torques, etc. I'll have the oil recently changed before the recent TD too.
I do plan on mounting this new set I'm getting for the TD and doing a few twisty rides before hand too.
I'll have it 'track -ready' days before- things taped up, etc.
I'll bring tools, but don't plan to need them.
I also decided I'd get there the afternoon before, so I can 'set-up' things, etc. I'll probably sleep in my truck there, have my cooler, etc.

OH yeah, I also have decided I have nothing to prove, and don't mind being 'slow' if I am. I know I had mentioned trying to skip the Novice group, but realized that everyone starts there and I don't mind too. I'm NOT going to have an attitude about starting and probably finishing in Novice. NO big deal.
Last thing I want to do is get out of my game and go down. Too many memories of flying into the woods nearly 4 yrs ago.

I hope to see you Chuck, and anyone else that may be going to Autobahn that weekend on Saturday, the My 29th.

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hello all,
My new shoes for the Gix where on my doorstep when I came home yesterday!
120/70 up front
190/55 out back
Bridestone Battlas S21's

I'm on the FB Group Page for STT- learning what I can. There is a great post, with video of a Novice rider asking what he did wrong to be kicked out of his session. There is very good feedback and replies too- some from STT coaches, etc.
In a nutshell- he made an inside pass just before T1 at Barber and spooked a few people, stand them up, etc. No one went down or off track. This was in Novice group. The OP's post mentioned there were other things too, he didn't mention or have video of though.
It was great for me to read thru that, etc.
Before I knew it was the novice group- I could tell anyways as they were going slower.

I have watched many on board videos of 'Intermediates'. While I feel I could easily ride this I pace,
I'M HAPPY TO START IN NOVICE. I'll still have lots to learn for sure- LOTS.

On country twisty rides, a good friend on a ZX6R can really blow me away on speed in the corners- a few years ago. Does that bother me? Not in the least.
I'm an old man, nothing to prove to anyone, including me. I want to keep my shiney bike- shiney LOL.
One of my goals is to NEVER be pulled from a session like this guy was for a simple novice group infraction.
It will NOT hurt my ego to be on a LiterBike and be the slowest one in Novice group either.
It just doesn't matter.
I'm there to have a totally positive experience. Too bad the OP of the STT FB post didn't quite have a stellar day at Barber.

My bike and I will be ready 'at least 2 days' before this event too. Taped up, new shoes scrubbed in. Fresh oil and filter. Everything tight and snug, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I saw that post/video too. I hope you read my comment. In a nutshell, he faster than the group and rather than backing off and blending in, he created a situation where the rider at the front got stood up at turn in. He was just being too aggressive for the group. It's never your track. You're sharing it with others and especially in novice, sometimes that means you have to back off.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I saw that post/video too. I hope you read my comment. In a nutshell, he faster than the group and rather than backing off and blending in, he created a situation where the rider at the front got stood up at turn in. He was just being too aggressive for the group. It's never your track. You're sharing it with others and especially in novice, sometimes that means you have to back off.
Oh yea, totally agree with you.
It's novice, not Adv.
I'll be 'blending' FS!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I accidentally did something similar in intermediate last year. I had bought a spot off someone last minute, hence the bump down. Anyway, an instructor sand bagging & looking over their shoulder down the front straight and I was focused on them trying to see if they were following a slower rider or what. Didn't see anyone, made the clean pass, hit the braking marker, then realized I was coming in on another rider REAL fast. Like REAL fast. I think they were on a 1000, and took the picnic basket out on T1. It was a huge gap between instructor and this bike so I don't think it was their student.

To avoid ass packing them into the sand trap, I dove to the apex. There was a good 4 - 6 feet between us, inside passing is technically allowed, but I scared the fuck out of them. I gave them a foot up "I'm sorry!" once I was back on line. I got black flagged and lectured. I didn't get a good look at the bike, and neither did Walter (guy managing pit-out, giving me a lecture) so I couldn't go apologize. I felt bad.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS keep your eyes up and don't let your distracted glances linger too long.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thanks for the story Koth!
I'm probably the only person on here that doesn't know what a 'picnic basket' is. LOL

** Edit- Oh wait! I think it is your excellent way of saying that they were 'parking it' in T1? And taking so long, they pulled out their picnic basket too? LOL Brilliant!
* I'm in my office, LOL at that one !

41 - 60 of 65 Posts