Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Tried to start the truck yesterday. Nadda, cranked fine, no go. Interestingly though, I got out and bent down and smelt the tail pipe, it kinda smelled like gas? But a day before when I shot carburetor cleaner in the TB, it fired up some.

I am NOT jacking with this that much before the TD though. If it was STILL my daily driver- I would. Too old. Being in the side yard is the same as 'being put out to pasture' LOL. I'll do a little investigating, but it looks as though it's our older Honda Pilot and the U-haul trailer. Oh well, it was Chucks advice months ago LOL.

* Yesterday I had another Great 'long twisty way home ride'! No others on the ride with me yesterday. I worked on a few things with my BP and getting more comfortable with my corner intake speed.
I can see how on the country roads at least, I still realize I'm often 'parking it' going into the corners some LOL. Mostly so I give my eyes time to make sure where the gravel patches are- if any, and sand when they sand the roads too. There is a lot of tree branch debris and tree bark on the roads too out in the country. And b/c they are not driven that much by cars and trucks, it hangs around longer on the road.
I ALWAYS stay in my lane though and don't cross the center line so it's not a problem when a vehicle somes around the bend the other way. With Spring, most of them are 'blind' corners again too.
That being said, I was trying to work on not 'parking it' so much going into the turn LOL.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
11 days till Todd's first ever Road track day!

Oil/filter changed- check
New tires- check.
Trailer reserved- check
All my gear, check.

To do: Riding the new tires making sure the balance is OK.
Taping the lights and removing light fuses.

Wundergroud.com says PM T-storms on 5/30/21. If it does, I hope it's REAL late in the day!

*Edit- I was looking at the wrong date. So far for Sunday 5/30 they are saying partly cloudy 73F! Yee Haw! Perfect weather. Hope it holds true!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Now Chicago has isolated T storms and 78F as the forecast for 5/30/21.

I'll be praying for no rain, until that night.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hey Todd, just noticed this thread... or anything GSXR related for a long time for that matter.
I was going to go on saturday but other family plans got in the way for the memorial day weekend. Would have been happy to ride with you at ACC!!!

Don't worry about corner speed etc. Your first several sessions on track will be follow the leader at about 1/2 your normal spirited road pace I'm assuming...
If you plant yourself in one of the first two groups in novice, they will get progressively faster but then you still play follow the leader with your control rider and slow to a crawl to safely pass the slower groups.
Memorial Day at ACC is always packed and there will be a lot of traffic.don't get frustrated

Once the CR's open it up a little, DON"T FALL FOR THEIR TRICKS... those fukkers like doggin' it on the straights(going slow) then drag a knee in the corners... If you fall behind, you fall behind... DON"T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO PLAY CATCH UP. it's where most mistakes are made at the beginning. If they bump you down a group don't sweat it...

IMHO, the only way to improve your corner speed is to have consistent braking points...consistent lines...consistent speed. What I mean is, it is really hard to judge if your speed is correct if your entry speed coming toward a corner changes by 10-15mph every time you approach the corner. It takes consistency on and off the throttle throughout the lap to say OK, now I'm going to move my brake markers deeper, or better yet, I'm going to let off the brake a little earlier... That consistency won't likely come to you completely for several trackdays...

What I would work on initially is hitting every apex and learning the proper lines. You won't even be using the brakes that much for the morning I bet...
Make it your objective to hit every apex and apply throttle out every corner smoothly. Make sure you can easily turn the bike. That's the most important thing on your first trackday, learning to set up and make the bike turn effectively. The faster you go, the harder the bike is to turn...

Yeah, they'll open it up to passing at some point. And you will PIN IT and rocket down the straight for the first time. You'll reach the next corner faster than you've done all day and GUESS WHAT? you will have NO IDEA when or where to brake. LOL!!!! You'll get through the corner somehow, pin it again, rocket down the next straight and then WHOA!!! where to brake now? Then you realize that this is completely different than riding streets where you basically have a relaxing ride punctuated with an occasional adrenaline rush. On track, it's all adrenaline. IT SEEMS like there no time to relax on track...

Only way to combat this is basically, get off throttle and on the brakes when you brain tells you to... it's ok until you develop some sort of pattern and consistency.

Don't get overtired... I've seen/read about more than one person crash and the conclusion was they may have blacked out on the bike due to the heat and exertion. Cool down as quickly as possible after a session. I find the most effective way is a fan, a cooler with ice/water and wet towels.

Have fun out there and don't take it too seriously... Let the faster guys pass and don't overextend yourself chasing them.

Oh yeah, it's always wet at ACC on memorial day... If not raining, the track will still seep water as the day heats up. Watch for wet patches.

Man, I've got a million pieces of advice... most are probably bullshit, but.... whatever... Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Once the CR's open it up a little, DON"T FALL FOR THEIR TRICKS... those fukkers like doggin' it on the straights(going slow) then drag a knee in the corners... If you fall behind, you fall behind... DON"T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO PLAY CATCH UP. it's where most mistakes are made at the beginning. If they bump you down a group don't sweat it...
This was of course said a little tongue in cheek. You'll be paired with control rider for your group. Ask him/her questions and see what he/she feels is most important to learn.
Just like people everywhere, there are smart ones and there are not so smart ones. There are great teachers and there are not so great teachers.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Wow, Thanks JCW! Welcome back! I was worried about you when I didn't see any posts on a few sties from you! Hope all is well.

Everything you said was great, and kinda what I figured too. Your and others advice? None of it BS.

I watched many 'on board' cams of the South Course at Autobahn- the one I'm scheduled for on Sunday the 30th. Most all of them are intermediate of advanced riders from the titles of their vids too.
I watched a few people's videos about when things 'didn't' go so well either.

I'm getting there the afternoon before, set up some, relax. Camping in my SUV. I plan to be calm and patient too.
I talked to a friend who is also a big TD rider and enthusiast. He's has several bikes- RSV4, the new Duc V4, etc. He was telling me that it took him many TD's to even move from group to group and many to drag a knee etc. He now rides advanced. He has ridden all these tracks. Restaurant owner and Greek guy named Sam.
There will be one advanced rider I will know there. I think he said R1. He's an Asian guy, a physician named Joe.

Although I'll be 61 y/o in a few weeks, I'm in very good shape and fitness- comes from working out 3 x a week for years. I feel great! Body feels great these days too.

My overall goal is to have a great time, do well and LEARN a LOT, and don't go down! I'm confident it's going to go well.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Now Wunderground site says AM showers Sunday.
Oh well, it is what it is. Hopefully I'll get some dry track time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't sweat the rain too much... most of the time it's spotty and you'll have plenty of track time.
Honestly, at novice pace a little rain won't make a whole lot of difference especially on street tires.
If you are running like supercorsas and it's a downpour, I wouldn't go out... No tread when you lean the bike on that tire. I've hydroplaned and crashed and cracked a side cover doing that.

One thought about when things go wrong...(and I've had my share of going wrong) I feel most novice "accidents" (outside of mechanical issues or water or oil on track) occur not because the limit of the bike was reached... ie low siding or high siding on track, but because the novice rider misjudged a corner and couldn't stop in time or couldn't slow and turn the bike at the same time. Really easy to target fixate when you are in survival mode and sit stiff on the bike with locked arms unable to turn.
Stay on track... you highly reduce your chances of crashing... Sounds incredibly simply, but it's the truth.

Dragging a knee is always a goal for novice riders, but honestly it's silly... There are people that hang off their bikes like monkeys just to reach the ground when they would be in much better control of the bike hanging off less. bike lean is a byproduct of corner speed. I find it amusing when people ask how can I lean more in corners... For a given corner at a given speed with a certain body position, you can't! Lean angle increases naturally as your corner speed increases. The faster you go around the corner or the tighter you turn, you lean more.

My guess is at 60yo you aren't as flexible as you were at 20. (I'm 50) For us, I think a comfortable body position is way more important. And remember, that exaggerated hang off comes after the apex as you are picking the bike up and accelerating. hanging off in corner entry is not productive...
After getting a nasty case of covid, I've kinda dedicated myself to fitness again. Riding has taken a slight back seat. I used to run a 3:45 marathon in my 30's. Not spectacular, but for a nonathlete, it's not too shabby. I'm struggling reaching a 9min/mile 10k at this point but much better than I was last year. I might do more mini tri's than trackdays this year...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thanks for all the advice JCW, and others.

I hit my nice twisties on the way home from work yesterday- I had a few other riders tagging along.
The new Bridgestones Battlax S21's felt fantastic! On some of my better corners, I felt I could have easily gone lower and faster. I actually did on a few of them. I didn't have that confidence with my 1 riding season old Michelin PP 2CT's (at least 4K miles) that I just took off, and they still have some tread too. Turn in feels a bit better/easier, etc. I have been working on being smoother in, around, and out of the corners too.

Interesting about abilities. I've ridden with some that leave me in the serious twisties, and wait for me at the next intersection. But like yesterday, even the mediocre speed I was going I was leaving them, and waiting at the intersections. It's all relative- I know I am not that fast. Getting better though and enjoying the craft of it.

It's rainy today, I have today and tomorrow off to finish up a few things. Replacing my tank grips with some new clear 'StompGrip', taping up and removing some light fuses, cleaning and re-tightening/torqueing things. Getting all my gear together, coolers, etc.
Usually when I plan a trip like a camping trip- I end up taking slightly more than I need. LOL

All systems GO!

·
Super Moderator
9,920 Posts
The S21s are good tires. I'll guess that part of the better handling is just going to a new tire from the old.

I like to get all the life I can out of a tire but always think "I should have changed this front sooner" when I feel that sweet handling that slowly drifted away as the tire wore.

Is someone going to the track next Sunday?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
/Come to think of it, every new set of tires has felt this way too LOL.

I got a lot done today.
A little cleaning and get the side fairings back on tomorrow.

How's my tape job look?

I'll be removing those bar end mirrors and putting the OEM bar ends back on.

Reactions: rv6john

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Don't ask me, I never trimmed mine around the light. It always looked like hell, but it came off easy. To expand on what JCW said, when you're doing the follow the leader stuff, pay attention to where the instructors rear tire is. Learn it and try to draw that same line. Usually they're riding a good line. And if there's a suspension guy there, get a baseline setup.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not sure which tape u used... I've been sent back to put another layer on when I used blue painters tape way back when before I crashed the shit (several times...) out of my beautiful used but OEM bike...

Apparently some light shines through blue painters tape, they wanted it ALL blocked.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Tape plus pull the light fuses.
/The trimming was easy actually. I used a composite 'shim'. It looks little a real thin old fashioned door stop. The tape cuts/tears easy.
Taking the fuse advice, that's another reason why the side plastics came off too.
I still can't believe they couldn't put that fuse box in rear compartment- so you could actually easily get at it!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
OH yeah,
Son of my bitch! I'll be damned if my truck didn't start today! Starting every time now. I used my neighbors fuel pressure gauge on it. A steady 48#'s while running- well w/in specs!
It could be a sticky injector, or a bad cam sensor? Probably is the fuel pump though LOL.

I could still take it. But I'm going to try and be intelligent for a change and stay with the U-haul I rented and using my/our 2008 Honda Pilot. It would be my luck to get 'stuck' somewhere.

I'll drive it around the area some though, I do have AAA!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
It's 91F right now in Joliet Il where Autobahn Country Club race track is!

BUT, this coming Saturday and Sunday looking Good! I pasted it below

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Right Chuck, No jinxing on the weather LOL

So, heeding the advice here I put a few more layers of tape over the front running lights and on the tail light.

The fuse marked 'signal' runs the turns, running lights, and the tach and gauge lights. I want the tach to work, so leaving that fuse in and taping up. Headlights are out/off.

I got the plastics cleaned up and back on, the mirrors off and the OEM bar ends back in.
IMHO- It looks Badass now!

I'm going to look for Chucks 'Track day checklist' now....

81 - 100 of 131 Posts