Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
OK,
New serious question for my first TD. I'm trailering it down.

Gas. If my tank is full and I'm doing 1 TD, in Novice- is one tank of gas more than enough? Or do I bring a filled gas can too?

TIA

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I think they have fuel on track. Take a can... and a funnel. What you don't use, dump in the truck for the trip home.
So, a full day of Novice (with a hopeful bump to I if that's even possible) I'll use more than a tank of gas?
I'll bring some premium in a can just in case then.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Easily. Gas will go a lot quicker than you think.
I do plan to be at higher RPM's than my usual country twisty rides too!

Reactions: koth442

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
OK, so I'll go with a full tank and a full gas can w/ premium in it.

I got the lights taped over thicker w/ more layers so no light shows thru. If I take out the fuse for the running lights I loose the electric tach too.
Zip tied the passenger pegs.
Re-lubed the kickstand pivot.
I used the generic furniture polish spray for a nice shine again.

I'm bringing my stands, a canopy, chairs, coolers, food, sleep area in back of Pillot, etc

2 days away, I'll be there tomorrow to set up early and hang, look and learn.

** Edit- Novice has SEVEN sessions on Sunday! If things go well, I'll try to get into Intermediate after lunchish? Either way I'm looking forward to it !!

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,873 Posts
They allow you to keep kickstand? I've stopped two people from going out on track with their kickstand still down...

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The only thing a bump is good for is your ego. Okay that's not 100% true, but as others have said, it's really inconsequential. Focus on learning the track before you add speed. No point in fucking it off into the ditch because you were coming up on a right when you thought it was a left...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
They allow you to keep kickstand? I've stopped two people from going out on track with their kickstand still down...

Have fun!
Good thing on our bikes- when you put it in gear- if your kicstand is not all the way up- the engine quits!

Don't get ambitious. If you need a bump, they'll bump you. Focus on learning the track, then add speed.
Yes, agreed.

Yep be smooth and predictable.
Yes sir

The only thing a bump is good for is your ego. Okay that's not 100% true, but as others have said, it's really inconsequential. Focus on learning the track before you add speed. No point in fucking it off into the ditch because you were coming up on a right when you thought it was a left...
It would allow me to be in the I group on my next track day?

I've also watched at least 50+ on board videos of the course I'll be doing Sunday. Along with looking at a course map.
15 turns
1&2 are right, 3,4,&5 are left. 6 is a long right, 7- dog leg right, 8,&9 are rights, 10 left and to the long straight, then 11's a right, then 12 L, 13 &14 left, then 15 looks to be a WOT slight left.

I can afford this- doing is low budget.
I can't afford to 'go down' LOL

I'm going to be mellow, chill and have a GREAT time!

I didn't realize until IZ looked at the schedule that each group, N,I,A has their own 20 min. per hour session times- with at least an hour lunch break too.
So I don't have to be worried AS much about my lines if other groups were on the track at the same time.
I'm still very worried/focusing on my lines however.

Having raced bicycles- road bikes for years will help me some about being in close quarters with other riders, and I should never be that close in N anyways.

I'm an in shape, energetic young/old man! I have nothing to prove. I'm going to have a great time.
I think I said something like I haven't even done my first one yet, and I'm already kicking myself why I didn't start years ago!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
A couple of things occur to me.

First, it appears the fuel pump in your truck and the fuel pump in my 750 started acting up at about the same time. A couple of weeks ago I was prepping the 750 for my trackday last weekend (first trackday in 5 or 6 years) and decided to ride it around the block, but the fuel pump had died. Again. Making it 3 fuel pumps I have killed in the last 6 months due to neglect, and maybe the sludge still sitting in the tank that is approaching three years old now... Even funnier, it also appears that the day I replaced the fuel pump in the 750 is about the same day that yours started working again. Because it's funnier that way.

Fortunately I still have my supposedly retired clapped out SV650 ”track bike," so instead of prepping the 750 I just had to prep the 650. My biggest gripe is that I had to put the brand new tires on the SV, but that means I get more new tires for the 750, so win-win. Just a more expensive win than I hoped for.

As far as the marker lights, it may be worth reaching in and unplugging the lights. If you leave them on, the heat from the bulbs can cook the adhesive from the tape, making it a nightmare to get off the lenses afterwards. If you're referring to the tail lights and brake lights, under the rear seat there is a brown wire (usually grouped with two or three others) that you can unplug to disable the lights without pulling the Signal fuse.

For gas, you'll definitely need more than one tank, even for a novice day. Even though my trackday last weekend was half rained out and I only rode three sessions, I still burned well over half a tank, and that was in the novice group, including follow-the-leader at least than 60mph for the entire first session.

Most important of all, try to relax and have fun! Even with the rain it was the best day I've had in a while.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

I’m here
It’s like being in the fast and furious movies and rolling up on race wars. Crowded but cool as hell.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Nice cool morning. I got registered and teched no problem. Waiting on the riders meeting and then classroom and then check day sessions woo hoo

Reactions: koth442 and rv6john

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I hope ya'll are happy to know, everything went great!
I rode all 7 sessions!
I didn't go down, or even off the course!
My bike is still shiny!

Thank you all for all the advice. It really helped. While there was some apprehension the first few laps- as in already going faster than i might have expected, everything went fine. I loved it.

I'll make another post with picks, etc. Again, thank you all for the great advice!

101 - 120 of 131 Posts