Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, bought a 2nd GSXR from a buddy with the intent of turning it into a track bike. He said it's been sitting for about 5 years with gas in it :-(. Went to empty the tank today and found some minor surface rust in the tank and what looks like crystals? Got as much out as I could with a siphon, none of the gas was gooey, all liquid What is the best way to deal with this and make sure it doesn't get in the gas pump and fuel injectors? Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
8,319 Posts
What year and size bike?

If it were my bike, I'd pull the tank and the fuel pump and wash the inside of the tank with soap and warm water. You will have pretty good access through the fuel pump opening. BTW, it does not look too bad from the pics.

This also gives you the opportunity to check the low pressure filter, depending on the model, the high pressure filter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You want to get all of that stuff out or it's going to end up in your fuel filter. I'd try to find out if the crystals dissolve in water or CLR. If so, that's an easy first step. Then something like EvapoRust ought to clean up the rest. The crystals might be from corrosion of the gas cap or the plating on the pump.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I like the EvapoRust option but not knowing the cost (looks pretty cheap) there are also other options too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You want to get all of that stuff out or it's going to end up in your fuel filter. I'd try to find out if the crystals dissolve in water. If so, that's an easy first step. Then something like EvapoRust ought to clean up the rest. The crystals might be from corrosion of the gas cap or the plating on the pump.
This is good advice. We used that in an ATV tank with good results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My friend had a similar situation with a K3 that sat for 10yrs. He used a vinegar and water solution combined with nuts and bolts - shaking the tank to help break the rust up. It worked really well and afterwards he decided to seal the tank.
Just remember to inventory the exact amount of nuts and bolts used to make sure there all accounted for when done - Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts