Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I think my bike is runing hot. I been getting temps up to like 240. is this normal? and what is the normal temps to be running at for normal riding?

thanks

ant

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
yes that is hotter than it should be, the fan should kick on at about 224-5, and not let the bike get much higher than that. Normal freeway riding is about 178 and around town is usually 220 in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
what type bike you have

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a 99 gsxr600 with full exhust and jetted...............

any info will be great............

when i was at the stoplight the yesterday it was up to 245 F when I was on the freeway it was 180 F. The fan kicks on after I turn off the that i'm sure of but I will check if it turns on at 225 or so...................

help please

ant

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I know that when a bike is lean a little bit much that it tends to run hotter then ususal. Not sure if that is the same case but just something to look at. Have you changed your antifreeze or flushed it? Try doing that and using 50/50 water to anti-freeze then make sure your cap is okay as if your cap rubber groumet around it isn't great then ya can have a pressure leak which should make it run hotter than usual as well and also check to see if your fan blades are okay. If possible pick up a Muzzy fan they will not make a BIG diffrrence but it may make some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update:

I took my bike out last night and to the gas station not to far from my house. At the gas station while my friend was pumping gas. He saw antifreeze dripping out! I smelled it while riding up to the gas station. Took it back home and took of the fairings and found that the one of the radator hose was loose. I will have to flush it and put more fluid it in. But I took it out and I seem better. The temperature wasn't as hot as before I was gettting around 200-210 better then getting 240 +.....

Thanks guys for you info!!!! :thumbup:

ant

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
yeah sounds like your better now temp at that is average now
Do not use 100% antifreeze as you bike will be cool but when it is warm it will stay warm longer than usual and not cool down as fast

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok question.

Does my 99 gsxr600 have a red light or alert light if it gets to hot? I'm not sure what temperature is to hot? And what temperature does it alert me?

thanks

ant

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
atn57 said:
ok question.

Does my 99 gsxr600 have a red light or alert light if it gets to hot? I'm not sure what temperature is to hot? And what temperature does it alert me?

thanks

ant
your owners manual should say what temp is to bad for it, if yoou don't have one, you should get one...might as well pick up a service manual to if you don't have one

·
Registered
104 Posts
Change.........

If all the above tips do not help try this....

Change your Temperature Sensor for a lower rating than yours (check Ur manual or consult your dealer) it will cost U around $15.00. look for a car temp sensor they are rated at lower temp. Remember take off yours first because U need the same diameter tread, the electrical connection is just a cut and plug operation and that's it.

Doing this will start your fan sooner instead of waiting until your engine is too hot.

Ride Safe................ :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
after you fix your leak you could put a togle switch on you fan and bypass your sensor giving you the abillity to turn on your fan when ever

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Dirty Don said:
after you fix your leak you could put a togle switch on you fan and bypass your sensor giving you the abillity to turn on your fan when ever
You don't want to bypass, the sensor, you just want to put it on there so you can switch it on, cuz if you bypass the sensor and forget to turn the fan on, the you are really going to over heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts