Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Did you give them your elevation? That is the same jet sizing they gave me. Mine runs fine like that, but you would want to be running leaner that me, given where you are. I'm right around 600ft +\- above sea level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Spyder13... are you running stock exhaust? I have Yoshimura headers, so could that be the reason they suggested the same jets as you at 600ft?

I feel lost now, I was expecting to pop my carbs off and see larger jets. Seeing all of them 115, and being suggested to go UP a size for the two inner carbs, is not leaving me with much confidence that this is going to resolve my issues.

I don't know what else to look for at this point. My tank vent blows freely, my petcock flows and is clean, I will put these jets in since I have the carbs off, but they will be richer than what I had in there. What else could it be?... Anyone? Could it be something in the ignition/spark?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, they could just be clogged up and dirty? The idea behind going richer in the inner 2 carbs is for smoother transitions throughout the throttle range. I would still think you would be too rich at that altitude. You could try it, and if it still runs rich, you could get a pair of 112.5, and put them in the outer carbs, moving the 115's to the inner carbs.
Check to make sure your coils are properly grounded, and check them, and your wires for proper resistance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My starter went out on me, so I've been waiting for a new one to arrive.

It came today, and I got the bike started with the 115 and 117.5 jets (Since I had them in and the tank was back on). The bike won't idle, it just dies if not playing with the throttle. Also, the throttle range is very choppy... What I mean is when I rev the engine it sounds rough and choppy and doesn't seem like it has a lot of power. I could tell that it wanted to backfire too, as I could hear some minor pops, but not a full on backfire.

The exhaust also smoked a lot. My garage filled with white smoke rather quickly.

Does this also sound consistent with running too rich? I have some 112.5 and 110 main jets coming, but they won't be here until next week.

I also want to do a compression test, but I need to get my hands on a tester.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sorry, lost track of this thread. Are you testing with, or without the airbox installed and sealed up? This makes a big difference. Check, and make sure all 4 cylinders are firing by feeling the header pipes for heat. If they are firing, they will heat up pretty fast. Does the "white smoke" smell like oil, gas, or coolant?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The air box is on, and sealed up in all instances. The white smoke definitely smells gassy. I am still waiting for my smaller jets to arrive. Should be here this week. I am going to pop them in, test the headers like you suggested, and see if the smoke continues.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you set your float height, and is your petcock functioning properly? Seems to me you might be running richer than just jetting. Your main jet really doesn't "kick in" until 3/4 to full throttle. Stock needles? do they have adjustment notches in them? Where are yours adjusted to? How many turns out on the mixture screws are you? These are such finicky carbs...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My jets came in today, and I made some extensive progress (thanks to your help).

First, I put the original pilot jets back in the bike (since they were smaller than the 6-Sigma (and the bike idled like crap... Actually, didn't idle at all). The two outer carbs got 110 Main Jets, and the two inners have 112.5.

The bike fired right up, and went straight to an idle. I went to rev and it revved leaps and bounds better than with the 115 and 117.5 jets. The smoke is nearly gone completely and the throttle did not see "as choppy". However, it was still choppy.

I did as you suggested, and after it warmed up a minute I touched the headers. Three were hot to the touch (pretty hot), but a 4th header was cold to the touch. I could wrap my hand around it, while the other three I could barely touch with my finger tip. So this is FANTASTIC news. I am narrowing down issues, and eliminated multiple problems.

I think the jets could be spot on, but I need to get it out on the road to see how it drives. However, now I need to focus on why that hole is not firing before I can test ride.

My plan is to pop a new set of plugs in (I know this is probably not the issue, but with the flooding, it couldn't hurt). I will also take the spark plug wire apart and make sure I have proper connection and do a spark test.

Do any of you have suggestions on what all to check besides this? Could this be the coils? Anything else to cover all my bases?

I think once I get this hole firing I will be back in business.

I want to thank you wholeheartedly, because I would not have made it this far. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
To answer your questions above: Yes, I have set the float heights, inspected them for integrity, and tight seals at the base. There is nothing obviously wrong with them with a visual inspection. I adjusted with a caliper. The petcock is functioning fine. Its actually only a few years old. To test flow once the tank was back together and on the bike I set it to "prime" and opened the drain plugs. Each carb spit fuel from the drain plug, so I know its flowing.

The needles are not stock. They are the longer after market ones, that you can reach in and adjust by hand. They are all turned 2.5 turns out. The dealership couldn't even get needles anymore. The warehouse had one in stock, and wanted $50 a piece. So I went with aftermarket.

I do think I am on to something with my last previous post (see above, if you have not seen it yet). I'm curious what your thoughts are.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts