Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down recently on my 09 600, and I figured everything is fine and the only damage was done is cosmetically, and I havent been on it in a month due to injury, and the cold weather. But I have notice the temp went passed 235 which I know it is pretty high, and was wondering if it need ls coolant or could be faulty wiring after the crash ?

· Administrator
12,646 Posts
You mean just idling?

Is the fan coming on? It should come on at 221F on your bike.

· Registered
668 Posts
Does it cool it back down to 220F again when the fan comes on?

If so, all OK. You're just noticing things because you are over-attentive to problems just at the moment due to the spill.

· Registered
668 Posts
Even when the fan is on, it still keeps climbing
That shouldn't happen.

The fan is enough to maintain temperature when idling.

(I'm assuming you're not doing this test in a hot place.)

First things first, is there enough water in it? Does the top of the radiator get as hot as the bottom?

Does it get hot, at all?

· Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,897 Posts
Probably low on coolant, and have a pressure problem. Went down on the right side? Pretty common to bend the radiator neck and prevent the system from properly building pressure. If it went down on the water pump, you could have broken something and it's not circulating coolant.

· Administrator
12,646 Posts
Even when the fan is on, it still keeps climbing
Keeps climbing to what? They usually go 5-10 degrees higher after the fan goes on then begins to fall as the fan catches up.

Checking the coolant level, as others suggested, is a good idea. Not just at the reservoir, but actually in the radiator. It should be full to the top and the reservoir to the low line when cold.

· Registered
659 Posts
BTW When you will opening the radiator cap for check coolant level, be sure the engine and radiator are cold. And you should be aware of possibility of hot coolant fontaine from under the cap when you will open it. The cap is under pressure so twist off it very carrefuly.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the late response, but because of the rain and my bike beinf outside, rwally could not see. But the fan kicks on around 225, and it still keeps climbing, but when I looked on the right side I seen some leakage coming from here
Tire Car Automotive tire Hood Plant

· Administrator
12,646 Posts
Personally, I can't tell a thing from that picture.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My motorcycle mechanics is not that good, I am still learning. But where the two hose's connect, which I am assuming is the radiator hose is where the leak is coming from

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so after taking the fairings off, and looking at the owners manual, I see the damage turns out the radiator cap was damaged and loose, as well need a clamp for the radiator and oil inlet hose I am guessing what that is according to the manual. I am wondering should I check the gage as well. But will let you all know how it turned out

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The night before I poured antifreeze, just to wake up the next morning to find almost empty, couldnt figure out why until I seen this hose was popped out. I looked at the manual and I cannot figure wher it goes
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
704 Posts
So, if your radiator cap was damaged and not correctly seated, there is your answer for why it kept getting hotter after the fan came on.

If the system cannot pressurize, the boiling point comes down so the engine will overheat.

Second, in the pic posted, a leak is evident as witnessed by the whitish discoloration in the area @XPOH pointed out.

Third, I don’t know which hose you were pointing out. There should be a hose from the fill neck on the radiator that goes to the overflow bottle.

That hose should go to the bottom so its opening is within 1/2” or so of the bottom. Then there should be a hose from the cap or top of the overflow bottle to overboard coolant if there is too much in the bottle.

Coolant should be all the way to the top of the radiator fill neck and about 1/3 to 1/2 full in the overflow bottle.

As engine temp rises coolant expands in the engine, until the operating temp/pressure is reached. A valve in the cap then vents the excess pressure to the overflow bottle (sometimes referred to as the expansion tank).

As the engine cools, the reverse occurs and coolant is sucked back into the system through a valve in the cap. If the coolant level in the overflow bottle is too low, no coolant transfer occurs and air enters the system. Once coolant becomes aerated it cools far less efficiently and will overheat.

So, start with the radiator and ensure coolant is fully to the top of the fill neck. Make sure there is sufficient coolant in the overflow bottle and the radiator cap is undamaged and secure. Once those conditions are met, start the bike as normal and see if the over heat condition persists. Let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts