Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I bought my bike from is an airplane mechanic. He takes his quaility to his bikes as I see it. I dont belive this is stock, but its pretty trick. Might be overkill but as far as safty goes I am not sure there is a such thing as overkill.. Just thought I would share.

Wire tie through the boly heads and wraped in such a way that they can not come loose and if they do they arent going very far.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
thats because he either raced the bike or used it as a track bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like Reyd1 and Skibum said the reason that everything is wired, is because in the event of a bad crash the parts will be less likley to fly off onto the track creating debree for other riders to hit same as you have to tape off your headlight and mirrors incase they break and glass is spread out onto the track. Likewise here in Canada you have to drain out your coolant and replace it with water incase of a leak from a crash causing the track to be slippery.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It is safety wire, and pretty common.

BUT unlike the others I dont assume he went to the track, especially if he is an airplane mechanic. My father is a airplane mech, they safety wire alot of shit.

The coolant thing is pretty much any track.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i second motojoe's statement.. although if he did do trackdays then maybe he had to wire it. still a great job... done exactly the way it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the guy I got it from definatly did not ride on a track.. Its just the way he does things.. I never thought about it being track precaustions but it makes perfect sence..

·
Registered
88 Posts
granny said:
Like Reyd1 and Skibum said the reason that everything is wired, is because in the event of a bad crash the parts will be less likley to fly off onto the track creating debree for other riders to hit same as you have to tape off your headlight and mirrors incase they break and glass is spread out onto the track. Likewise here in Canada you have to drain out your coolant and replace it with water incase of a leak from a crash causing the track to be slippery.
not to be a turd, but it's NOT because it will hold parts together in a crash. It's so that bolts won't work loose during the race and cause a crash which puts lives at risk.
There are other precautions that are to avoid fluids contaminating the track and those leaks are often the result of a crash, but they could also be due to a blown engine.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
jyeager said:
not to be a turd, but it's NOT because it will hold parts together in a crash. It's so that bolts won't work loose during the race and cause a crash which puts lives at risk.
There are other precautions that are to avoid fluids contaminating the track and those leaks are often the result of a crash, but they could also be due to a blown engine.
that os one reason, but it is also so that on case of a crash there is no flying debris that could hit another rider or cause them to wreck if they were to run over scatterd debris, bolts, etc....

·
Registered
27 Posts
jyeager is right, it is so bolts don't back out and leak fluid. Why do you think you only have to safety wire things to do with fluids? You don't have to safety wire body or frame bolts.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
JET said:
jyeager is right, it is so bolts don't back out and leak fluid. Why do you think you only have to safety wire things to do with fluids? You don't have to safety wire body or frame bolts.
Actually its so bolts don't back out in general and so Hose clamps don't come off. They have you safety wire anything of major importance, like brake caliper bolts which won't leak oil, but you'll loose braking ability. So its for safety in general. They even have you safety wire your clip type masterlinks on your chain so that you won't loose it either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.